How Seriously do You Take Sports?

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Serious enough that I want to work in it, discuss it nonstop, and I'll get upset over losses and elated over wins. That being said, I think it's important to always have self-awareness on the level of your own fandom and to keep an even keel. Nobody should take it serious enough to the point where they treat others poorly or start fights and the like. One of the major reasons why I dislike going to games live is because overgrown man-childs who curse and scream vulgarity and pick fights at the top of their lungs when there are families around and stuff. Also people who cuss out athletes when they see them in real life because they're not performing up to their expectation. smh.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
I don't have a favorite team and I barely watch a game anymore. I like to follow news and what's going in the league but that's it. I follow every year draft with much more interest.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Nowadays, not so much. I used to be much more emotionally involved. But getting older and having kids, my interest has dropped rapidly the last ten years. I'm still interested and I like keeping up to speed, discussing and watch a couple of games. I just don't watch as much as I used to and when I watch I'm not as involved in the game as I was before.

Same. I'm not as old as some of the guys here (only just in my 20s), but yeah, don't take it as seriously as I did when I was younger.

Plante

Devils Advocate
May 12, 2010
Anahim Lake
thesoapbar.ca
I don' really cheer for Montreal anymore... whether thats age or bad elitist management, or both, who knows. Either way there are far more important things for my attention to rest on. A good hockey game is a good hockey game though and in the right company can be enjoyed like I'm a kid again.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I was never a super fan or anything. Much more of a fan of the sport than the team, but I do like my hometown team a lot.

That said, after they won the cup, I was glad I got to see that, but I'm not too upset when they don't win now.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Quite. If I die tomorrow, I will have the memory of the 2010 Cup win with me. So I can rest in peace.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
I take it seriously at times, but after a disappointing or heartbreaking loss, I'll eventually get over it. I used to get really upset when I was younger.

Examples: when the Steelers lost to the Broncos with Tebow, when the Steelers lost to the Packers in the SB, and one time when they lost to the Bengals.

Now being 20 years old, I never really get upset over a loss because I've grown up and gotten over it, but since the Penguins & Steelers haven't lost a SC or SB since 2008 and 2011, I'm not sure how'll I'll react to it. However, I didn't get upset when they lost to the Red Wings in 2008 because I didn't start watching hockey until a year later when they won it all.

Overall, sports is an important part of my life. I do feel bad when my teams lose, but there's nothing we can do about it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Inspired by the below article, how sad/ angry would your team losing affect your everyday life?

Fan commits suicide over football defeat | Metro News

Let's be honest. That person did not commit suicide because the team lost, the team losing pushed them over the edge.

As far as the topic goes: not seriously at all. I love watching the pros go at it but there is no real personal stake here. I'm happy when they win and now, now that I'm older, I can not care when they lose.

It's a great place to be.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I feel like the biggest loser on the face of planet earth.

The Red Sox broke their World Series curse, the Cubs broke their World Series curse, the Eagles won their first Super Bowl, even freaking Cleveland got a ship before me.

Now if/when the Caps hoist I'll be the last man standing as a post 1994 Rangers/Jets/Mets fan.

It's even worse being surrounded by Giants and Yankees fans. And I went to school in the New England area.

I'm the red headed step child of BOTH my friend groups. I feel like a lesser man.

I can't even watch the Mets right now. The way they lose every game in the most frustrating of ways keeps me up all night.

Every loss chips away at my heart. I don't even know why I care so much. I guess I'm just that starved for a championship and seeing the Mets waste away deGrom's dominance start after start is torture.

I really hope he gets traded soon so I can just follow him wherever he goes. If he wins a World Series that'll probably be the closest I get to any championship anytime soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pouliot

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Way more than I should. For example, tonight I had a large milkshake to drown my sorrows in. I'm lactose intolerant. But the Knights are making me sad and it just tastes too good. :laugh:

In all seriousness it does affect my mood and in turn my eating habits/sleep schedule.
If they win, you'll have to have one per game.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don't take it anywhere near as seriously as I did when I was a lot younger. For one thing playing a sport competitively, tennis in my case, certainly kept the juices flowing. And I used to live or die on the Green Bay Packers. But now sports just seem a fun diversion, no be deal if my team or player wins or loses. I think having kids put things into perspective, too.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
This post is confusing. You do realize the Hawks won in 2013 and 2015 too, correct?
The first one is always the most memorable. Like with sex.

They also won in 1961, and in the 30's, but 2010 was the first in my lifetime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad