How perform SKA if play in NHL league?

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
How perform SKA if play in NHL league?

What do you think?
There would be chances for playoffs or SC final?

Koskinen , Shesterkin

Gusev-Shipachev-Dadonov
Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Shirokov
Plotnikov-Prochorkin-Barabanov
Kablukov-Koskiranta-Ketov

Dergachyov

Belov-Voinov
Hursly-Yakovlev
Chudinov-Zubarev

Khafizullin

Evergreen

I don't think their defense or goaltending would be good enough to manage a playoff spot.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Don't they play on Olympic size ice in the KHL? That alone could cause them some major issues.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Koskinen good goalie.
Yeah, but there've been plenty of good goalies in the KHL who've done poorly in the NHL. Possibly vice versa also, altho I'm not as familiar with those (the only such example I know off the top of my head is Bobrovsky, and he's done well in both obviously). I sometimes think it's a "more ice == more space for players to be == more opportunity to see the puck" thing, but frankly that's just a hypothesis that has never been tested.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Playoff team. I'd be interested to see how they fare.

Just one thing, I think you mean to say "how would SKA perform if they played in the NHL league" or more simply "how would SKA perform in the NHL." :)

Also to people who don't realize, that's Slava Voynov on the top pairing RH spot. He was a legit top pairing d-man imo, despite the unfortunate circumstances he put himself in.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I question it's defense. Slava Voynov is a solid dman but was he ever considered a #1 or potential to be a #1 when he was in the NHL? Belov is the only other one that I am familiar with. He played 1 season for the Oilers in 13-14 and was considered a 5/6/7 dman, and that was a terrible defense core. Having him as your #2 might not be a good thing. Here is the list of the other defenceman on the Oilers that year:

Brad Hunt
Denis Grebeshkov
Mark Fraser From Toronto
Ladislav Smid To Calgary
Taylor Fedun
Oscar Klefbom
Nick Schultz To Columbus
Corey Potter To Boston
Martin Marincin
Philip Larsen
Jeff Petry
Andrew Ference
Justin Schultz

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
I question it's defense. Slava Voynov is a solid dman but was he ever considered a #1 or potential to be a #1 when he was in the NHL? Belov is the only other one that I am familiar with. He played 1 season for the Oilers in 13-14 and was considered a 5/6/7 dman, and that was a terrible defense core. Having him as your #2 might not be a good thing. Here is the list of the other defenceman on the Oilers that year:

Brad Hunt
Denis Grebeshkov
Mark Fraser From Toronto
Ladislav Smid To Calgary
Taylor Fedun
Oscar Klefbom
Nick Schultz To Columbus
Corey Potter To Boston
Martin Marincin
Philip Larsen
Jeff Petry
Andrew Ference
Justin Schultz

Belov right now best KHL D)

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I mean, the defense would be ok.

Goaltending would set them back though, for sure.

Goaltending is better than 50% of NHL teams. Koskinen plays in IIHF over NHL backups and Shesh is one of the hottest goalie prospects outside NHL rosters (AHL included).

Big IIHF ice? playoffs round 2.

NHL ice? 20th-25th.

Crosby/Malkin would eat these guys for dinner on the small ice.
Hursly-Yakovlev
Chudinov-Zubarev

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Ignoring the nature of flashy names, the have-beens, and keeping the realities of the gaps in competition level in mind probably between the first to second quartile, regardless of ice sizes or other petty squabbles.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
I would guess Belov is definitely better than his time with the oilers suggested. Oilers were working under Eakins defensive 'system'.

They would probably make playoffs if they adjusted to North American ice. Even though they are getting older, Datsyuk and Kovie on the second line are better than a lot of NHL teams.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
i would guess belov is definitely better than his time with the oilers suggested. Oilers were working under eakins defensive 'system'.

They would probably make playoffs if they adjusted to north american ice. Even though they are getting older, datsyuk and kovie on the second line are better than a lot of nhl teams.

+500

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad