How much rope does DJ Smith have? [UPDATE: None]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
It seems like Andlauer/Staois have held off on this decision for reasons other than DJ's actual performance, and will probably make the change for reasons other than DJ's performance.

When they arrived, it was about establishing the new regime's culture across the organization. It was about showing respect to the wishes of the players. They weren't going to be the owners who came in and cleaned house.

At a certain point, the strategy will have to change. They'll see the anger among the fanbase and - not wanting to be the new owners that the fans already hate - will make a move to placate the customers.

Reactions: Norris4Norris

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Who did that anyway? I was also led to believe he had been fired last night when I saw the thread update.

I would think it would have to be a mod, or the person who created the thread.

None of that makes sense though. It's a trollish move and and no mod around here would ever engage in troll-like behaviour. :rolly:

I guess it will remain a mystery

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I would think it would have to be a mod, or the person who created the thread.

None of that makes sense though. It's a trollish move and and no mod around here would ever engage in troll-like behaviour. :rolly:

I guess it will remain a mystery
There is only one person on this board who takes pride in trolling the fanbase at their lowest.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

No doubt in my mind had Dorion not been a total idiot and offered him the job he would have chosen Ottawa over Philly last summer. Imagine how much better we'd be under him right now. It's depressing af, especially as current management continues to force the status quo down our throats.

Reactions: Cosmix and HSF

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Most of us thought this team would be fighting for a playoff spot this year. In a losing streak to some top teams isnt that unexpected then. But strategy wise, do we want to take Dorions team and tweak it with a coach change? Is there reason to believe that would work? Other teams may have had reason to believe that. An interim coach, i guess on one of those 5 month contracts, isnt expected to achieve results as much as placate angry fans with a short term stop gap. I like the idea of patience and long term planning.

Reactions: swiftwin

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
IF Staios is looking at the schedule, for a coaching change window, there is one next week, and depending on what happens, on the ice, in the next two or three games, he might have to consider using that three day window.

1702920373914.png

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Not spending a dime on this team until something changes. Selling my tickets that I pre-purchased.
Glad you gave Andaluer and Staios all of 20 something games before jumping ship.

I myself am wanting until game 30. I mean clearly both of us know way more about changing the culture of an organisation.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Most of us thought this team would be fighting for a playoff spot this year. In a losing streak to some top teams isnt that unexpected then. But strategy wise, do we want to take Dorions team and tweak it with a coach change? Is there reason to believe that would work? Other teams may have had reason to believe that. An interim coach, i guess on one of those 5 month contracts, isnt expected to achieve results as much as placate angry fans with a short term stop gap. I like the idea of patience and long term planning.

The f*** dude? We should have had a new coach months if not years ago. Letting this shit continue will only make things worse. The time for patience is over.

Reactions: Bileur

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Even if Torts can piss players off, his ability to squeeze talent out of anyone is impressive.

He's gotten a team with a top 6 of Foerster, Couturier, Konecny, Farabee, Poehling, and Atkinson, and a top 4 of York, Seeler, Ristolainen, and Walker 2nd in their division.

They'll probably fall off mid season and finish in the bottom 10 but he's making sure each and every player is working their ass off with some form of strategy in mind.

Reactions: HSF

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Was all for this when Melnyk owned the team , however we are now in the stage where ownership is spending to the cap and beyond with LTIR. Are they making dumb moves? Sure. But this is something you protest with your voice by booing at the games or staying home is fine too but there shouldn’t be calls to boycott or anything
What dumb moves are they making?

Firing Dorion - Good move.

Hiring new analytics and conditioning staff - Good move

Hiring Jacque Martin as a consultant - Good move

That pretty much it for moves.

It may be frustrating as a fan to see them take the their time with things but that may be good sign long term.

I would rather have a patient owner who waits a reasonable amount of time to get "his guys" and builds a positive culture slowly and deliberately than someone who just reacts.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
IF Staios is looking at the schedule, for a coaching change window, there is one next week, and depending on what happens, on the ice, in the next two or three games, he might have to consider using that three day window.

View attachment 785724

Yeah, because the new coach is going to implement a new system with the players over Christmas???

If we change the coach, a "window" isn't going to matter.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
What dumb moves are they making?

Firing Dorion - Good move.

Hiring new analytics and conditioning staff - Good move

Hiring Jacque Martin as a consultant - Good move

That pretty much it for moves.

It may be frustrating as a fan to see them the their time with things but that may be good sign long term.

I would rather have a patient owner who waits a reasonable amount of time to get "his guys" and builds a positive culture slowly and deliberately than someone who just reacts.

Lol we're at year 6 or 7 of the rebuild and were meant to start being competitive last season. the f*** you talking about dude.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Yeah, because the new coach is going to implement a new system with the players over Christmas???

If we change the coach, a "window" isn't going to matter.
He means that is gives them time to get settled for a couple of days. Unfortunately the first misstep was not making a change before we have a bunch of games in Dec.

It aboslutely makes sense to make a change mid season to start implementing change before going into games that matter next year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Torts can coach no doubt about it. Most players that played for him have good things to say. He seems to have a shelf life. I'd love to have him here. His pressers are entertaining as well. Would love to here him put Brucie in his corner

Reactions: DrEasy

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
The f*** dude? We should have had a new coach months if not years ago. Letting this shit continue will only make things worse. The time for patience is over.
Well i might also say the time for short term moves is over. Maybe we should have got a new coach earlier, but here we are now. I dont think we can sign an interim coach on a 5 month contract unless promoting from within. We could sign a good one on a 3 yr contract, but is this strategically the right time for that? I dont think so, painful as that is.

This team could pull itself out of adversity still. We've seen it before, it is within them. But mostly its that 5 month contract thing making me want to ensure the right thing is done rather than to just do something that we kind of know wont really fix things right away anyway.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Should a mod from Toronto really be saying things like this to people who actually spend money on games?

Should a mod in general really be saying things like this? Are you calling him poor? Seems pretty unwarranted imo.
Its about a dysfunctional situation on this board as what Dorion/Melnyk have left Andlauer and Staios to clean up.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Well i might also say the time for short term moves is over. Maybe we should have got a new coach earlier, but here we are now. I dont think we can an interim coach on a 5 month contract unless promoting from within. We could sign a good one on a 3 yr contract, but is this strategically the right time for that? I dont think so, painful as that is.

This team could pull itself out of adversity still. We've seen it before, it is within them. But mostly its that 5 month contract think making me want to ensure the right thing is done rather than to just do something that we kind of know wont really fix things right away anyway.
Yep, I agree. We need to do it right. We shouldn't jeopardize next season just to try to salvage this season. That's what the Canucks did with Boudreau, and they lost another season because of it. We need our Tocchet hired next summer.

If we fire DJ, it'll be Capuano finishing off the season. We don't need a half measure.

Silky Johnson

Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Lol we're at year 6 or 7 of the rebuild and were meant to start being competitive last season. the f*** you talking about dude.
We are in game 26 of the Andaluer regime.

The Melnyk organisations last f*** you to this team was delaying the sale until a point that the new owner was limited in what he could do pre-season.

Andaluer has done nothing that would indicate he isn't going to be a save operator and good owner. Doing things right takes and in a couple years I bet we are all happy with his leadership.

Reactions: Bileur

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
He means that is gives them time to get settled for a couple of days. Unfortunately the first misstep was not making a change before we have a bunch of games in Dec.

It aboslutely makes sense to make a change mid season to start implementing change before going into games that matter next year.
Who will make these changes? An interim coach that won't even be here next year?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Yep, I agree. We need to do it right. We shouldn't jeopardize next season just to try to salvage this season. That's what the Canucks did with Boudreau, and they lost another season because of it. We need our Tocchet hired next summer.

If we fire DJ, it'll be Capuano finishing off the season. We don't need a half measure.

Tocchet was hired mid-season last year, on January 22nd.

They didn't use an interim after Boudreau. They found their guy.

He was able to come in, get to know the players, start working on changing systems/habits, and was able to help the front office make decisions at the deadline and in the summer so they could hit the ground running the next season.

Keeping Boudreau all season last year because "what's going to change halfway through the year" would have been stupid.

Craig Berube is available. He's Tocchet with a better resume.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad