How much longer do you think physical games will be a thing?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Collection purposes aside, why wouldn't digital be a good permanent solution? We are seeing the solution when it comes to media and have been for years now. DVD/Blu Ray has turned into streaming services. Music stores hardly carry physical CD's anymore. We are moving to a digital age.
You can't re-sell digital items. I know a few people who will sell any game they're done with. With digital you can't do that. Also as soon as licenses expire, poof goes the game, permanently. You don't typically re-sell music or DVDs.

Plus there's also the matter of storage. Games in the modern age are very large, typically 50GB or more. You need a big hard drive to contain them, and some games have massive updates that take up huge chunks of space already as it is. Sure, you can re-arrange files and order a bigger hard drive but that's still inconvenient.

I mean, didn't Google Stadia try this whole completely digital thing and fall flat on its face?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
You can't re-sell digital items. I know a few people who will sell any game they're done with. With digital you can't do that. Also as soon as licenses expire, poof goes the game, permanently. You don't typically re-sell music or DVDs.

Plus there's also the matter of storage. Games in the modern age are very large, typically 50GB or more. You need a big hard drive to contain them, and some games have massive updates that take up huge chunks of space already as it is. Sure, you can re-arrange files and order a bigger hard drive but that's still inconvenient.

I mean, didn't Google Stadia try this whole completely digital thing and fall flat on its face?
The game doesn't get run off the disk. You need that storage regardless if its digital or not.

"You don't typically re-sell music or DVDs."
Since when? There were plenty of stores back in the day that sold used cd's/dvd's. Some even still exist today.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Been digital for like 5 years after the disc drive on my PS4 broke. I much prefer it. I can switch games at any point without getting up, can play the second the game releases, rather than waiting in line at midnight at a store, no tax, and no need for storage space for the disc boxes. I do miss buying used games on Ebay, but aside from that I don't really miss anything about physical games. I am fortunate enough to have fiber internet, so games download in minutes. If I didn't have good internet, it would be a much different story. I hate waiting for things to load.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Can't you do that already? My buddy let me borrow his old PS3 and all I had to do was sign in and I could d/l all my old digital games.
You're completely at the mercy of what Sony decides to keep online on their store, though-- they essentially retain control and restrictions on what you own. It's like how when PT was taken off the store, the only way you could play it was if you happened to own a machine that had it downloaded-- you couldn't keep a copy of it for preservation without passing around the entire machine. If I'm not mistaken, there was even a short window of time where even people who had it downloaded couldn't play it on their machine.

Ideally, it should be more like paying for a raw digital FLAC file that you can do anything with and it just works. Physical has that edge on it (obviously digital has other edges on physical) until something like that is possible (which is very unlikely at this point).

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
You're completely at the mercy of what Sony decides to keep online on their store, though-- they essentially retain control and restrictions on what you own. It's like how when PT was taken off the store, the only way you could play it was if you happened to own a machine that had it downloaded-- you couldn't keep a copy of it for preservation without passing around the entire machine.

Ideally, it should be more like paying for a raw digital FLAC file that you can do anything with and it just works. Physical has that edge on it (obviously digital has other edges on physical) until something like that is possible (which is very unlikely at this point).
oh ok, I see. I would wager that isn't a problem for the mass majority though. I would think Sony will move towards whatever the majority are demanding.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
oh ok, I see. I would wager that isn't a problem for the mass majority though. I would think Sony will move towards whatever the majority are demanding.
Agreed, and that's why they get away with it (and will probably continue to), but that's exactly the issue I have with it. You essentially give up long term value, ownership, and principle for fleeting short term convenience and mindless mass consumption (which people are more than willing to do). It's the forseeable reality, but I think that part of it stinks, personally.

Basically I don't care for the attitude of trying something to pass the time and tossing it aside once you're done with it so that you can move onto the next thing to occupy your attention with, which is what this system favors and what media leans harder and harder towards. I care a lot more about finding something that I absolutely love and having a copy of it that I can actually own and cherish.

There is a version of digital that I would hypothetically 100% find superior to physical, but given how it's currently done, these things bother me about it.

Last edited:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I can't go digital until I get superior internet. And even if/when I do, I'd still prefer having the physical disc for reselling. I never cared about getting a lot of my games after reselling, at least I'm getting something back for them. I'm not sure any consoles will go fully digital for a while.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
On PC physical games are basically over, and there's no real downside unless you're a collector.

But consoles are closed systems with tightly regulated stores. The Big 3 will shut the servers down when they are done with them meaning you can't download your games or use their online components. Hopefully they move towards being more open systems with multiple marketplaces. Allowing you to use your own standard HDDs and SSDs in some of the recent consoles is a step towards that. But it's hard to see them, especially Nintendo, fully embracing that.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The reason digital only on the PC works is because it is an open platform with many options for purchasing games. I would be disappointed but not surprised if consoles followed suit.

Reactions: flyingkiwi

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
On PC physical games are basically over, and there's no real downside unless you're a collector.

But consoles are closed systems with tightly regulated stores. The Big 3 will shut the servers down when they are done with them meaning you can't download your games or use their online components. Hopefully they move towards being more open systems with multiple marketplaces. Allowing you to use your own standard HDDs and SSDs in some of the recent consoles is a step towards that. But it's hard to see them, especially Nintendo, fully embracing that.

People need to stop bringing up PC like it matters.

Console and PC are VERY different things it's like comparing ribs to chocolate cake and going "well they are both food," yes they are both food but and are both delicious but beyond that are not compareable

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
No online only until data caps are gone.

Games are getting bigger. Can you imagine eating up half of your monthly data downloading a single game?

The cheapest no data cap internet where I live is like $130 a month.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Console and PC are VERY different things it's like comparing ribs to chocolate cake and going "well they are both food," yes they are both food but and are both delicious but beyond that are not compareable

Are only console gamers permitted to discuss the subject in your thread? The person that you quoted didn't even bring up PC "like it matters." He just summarized the state on that platform (that he, presumably, is most familiar with), then said "but" and went into how consoles are different. If you don't want to hear at all from PC gamers, just ignore them.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB

Lmao. Actually the consoles (Xbox and Playstation in particular) are very similar to the PC with one key difference: Sony/Microsoft controls what you can and cant do with your own hardware.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Yes, I know, but the marketplaces, if they became similar, would be a lot better for the consumer than how the console game marketplace currently is.
It's never going to happen, consoles are closed systems by design. Playstation Store (or any console digital store) will never have competition within their own market because they won't allow it. PC is an open system so there's nothing stopping all these store fronts from popping up and doing whatever they want. I've been exclusively a PC gamer for probably close to 10 years now and haven't bought a physical PC game in that time. I don't even want a physical copy of anything. I can find store fronts competing with each other for a cheaper copy. I personally don't even buy many games directly from Steam since you can often find them cheaper on GMG or Humble Store.

Playstation's just going to say "f*** you, you want it, $60."

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
My biggest worry with digital games on consoles, is that it seems more like 'games as a service/rental', whereas with Steam, I just need my Steam account, and Windows has really good backwards compatibility. And if it doesn't actually run in Windows, that's what a VM or Dosbox will work around.

People will get screwed out of paying $60 for a game, and it will either get pulled from the servers, or only work with that generation of console...granted it's getting harder to even avoid some of those pitfalls with discs and day one patches, but somedays with consoles being more like a locked down PC, I miss the old days of just sticking in a cart.

Reactions: Winger98

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

The topic can get a bit sketchy because there's a significant difference between PC and console. The last consoles I owned were a PS2 and Wii, so I'm really thinking of the PC mindset here - and I started PC gaming in '99 so I remember operating with physical games only. So a couple of points about the benefits of ownership relevant from this perspective:

- the inability to resell your game is completely destroyed by the savings you can get from digital sales. The whole point while you'd 'resell' a game when you wouldn't music/DVD's is because a new game costs 2-6x as much so there's a greater need to manage your budget.
- while services can get 'turned off' physical copies can also be lost, damaged, stolen, etc. There's a trade off here of one type of security over another, hard to say which keeps you safer. And unless it's a multiplayer game, which effects consoles as well, no company wants to be the one that 'turned your game off'.

How that relates to consoles I'm not as well versed at, though I suspect you get less bargain sales and more general server shutdowns as they want everyone to move along to the next console every 5 years. But on the other hand while there will be a push towards and a bigger cut of digital sales I don't think consoles are going to be getting rid of physical copies anytime soon. While consoles exist as they are there should always be at least a small market for physical.

Reactions: Osprey

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I think the multiple digital storefronts on PC and the fact that you can keep/upgrade your system for as long as you want make being only digital more palatable. You technically don't own your games but you can shop around for deals and they're more likely to be supported longer. Without physical discs the PS and Xbox digital stores have a monopoly and can lock you out from your games whenever they'd like. I wonder if this second issue around support will become less of a problem though, as consoles lean more into backwards compatibility and progressive hardware iterations rather than clearly defined hardware generations.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA

I just saw this, I'm just asking to clarify. Are you saying you can buy a game, the license expires, and you lose it? There are games that get taken off digital store fronts because the license expired but if you buy it, you keep it forever. Steam will allow you to download any game that you purchased whether it's still on the store or not. I got the original Prey like 10 years ago right before it got removed from Steam. I can still download it today if I want.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I just saw this, I'm just asking to clarify. Are you saying you can buy a game, the license expires, and you lose it? There are games that get taken off digital store fronts because the license expired but if you buy it, you keep it forever. Steam will allow you to download any game that you purchased whether it's still on the store or not. I got the original Prey like 10 years ago right before it got removed from Steam. I can still download it today if I want.
Not if you buy it. If you miss out though and the licensing expires, then you're SOL.

The big problem too is that if your hardware crashes, is there a way to regain that game if it's no longer being offered?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Agreed, and that's why they get away with it (and will probably continue to), but that's exactly the issue I have with it. You essentially give up long term value, ownership, and principle for fleeting short term convenience and mindless mass consumption (which people are more than willing to do). It's the forseeable reality, but I think that part of it stinks, personally.

Basically I don't care for the attitude of trying something to pass the time and tossing it aside once you're done with it so that you can move onto the next thing to occupy your attention with, which is what this system favors and what media leans harder and harder towards. I care a lot more about finding something that I absolutely love and having a copy of it that I can actually own and cherish.

There is a version of digital that I would hypothetically 100% find superior to physical, but given how it's currently done, these things bother me about it.
That's fine, but when I pay for a videogame I personally am not paying for the physical game, I'm paying for the experience. My experience isn't lost once the game is over, or even if my ownership of the property is lost if ecosystems crash or change. It isn't about "owning" something for me.

I understand the frustration of having to purchase a game again to play it, but that isn't an issue unique to digital properties, the gaming industry has been doing that forever.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
Physical copies will become obsolete with the next generation consoles (PS5 XBSX successors). Sony have already revealed a PS5 version without optical unit (and one with)
so I would assume that this will be the last generation with optical units.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Physical copies will become obsolete with the next generation consoles (PS5 XBSX successors). Sony have already revealed a PS5 version without optical unit (and one with)
Stadia was a completely digital platform and it failed miserably.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Physical copies can only become obsolete once internet data caps go up. Microsoft and Sony know that only a certain subset of their customers even have the ability to download and stream the data numbers that going exclusively digital will require.

Reactions: Winger98

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That's fine, but when I pay for a videogame I personally am not paying for the physical game, I'm paying for the experience. My experience isn't lost once the game is over, or even if my ownership of the property is lost if ecosystems crash or change. It isn't about "owning" something for me.

I understand the frustration of having to purchase a game again to play it, but that isn't an issue unique to digital properties, the gaming industry has been doing that forever.
The frustration of having to buy the game again isn't remotely the issue being discussed, though.

It isn't NECESSARILY about ownership of the asset for me either-- ownership is just the most practical and straightforward method I can think of for getting what I ideally would appreciate and find just. Where I would differ from what you're saying is that the experience that I want to be paying for isn't a single-serving experience that's only available for a limited time, but rather a cumulative lifetime experience that can be revisited and refined and fully appreciated as needed. That single-serving experience isn't lost once the game is over, but it's certainly incomplete and is only a fraction of the thing's overall worth, IMO (a huge chunk of which WOULD be lost if it's only available when it's hot).

If, hypothetically, there were a non-profit-motivated public library that reliably and permanently preserved every videogame in existence forever-- one that had the right intentions in mind, that could be trusted, and that I had direct access to, I probably wouldn't see any value in owning anything and this would all be moot. But that's not the case. Instead, I find the principle behind merely having the privilege to access/rent something as long as it still financially benefits the companies that own them to be a completely gross idea that is not at all satisfactory to me. If the ideal hypothetical case isn't possible (it's only barely manageable in the form of emulation, which isn't going to continue to be a thing if companies have complete control and restrictions on their games), then the next best thing would be to let me manage my own library (which requires owning it), as I trust myself more than I trust the company (or the demands of the masses, which don't align with my preferences) to actually value the things that I find most valuable.

That's basically where I'm coming from. Don't get me wrong, like anyone else, I'll often find myself going along with the system, but in principle, I absolutely don't support it, feel good about that, or find the direction to be a positive. I'd be willing to pay more to do it the other way, personally.

Edit: Just as another example, if, hypothetically, the current/upcoming system is how things always worked from the start, a fantastic game like Mother 3 would probably be completely inaccessible to anyone who didn't purchase it when it came out, there's a chance that it wouldn't be playable due to controls and restrictions to even the people who did own it, and the chances of it never being emulated (without open, physical copies existing) would also be significantly greater. It would probably just be tragically lost in time, and that's with a game that virtually everyone agrees is great, let alone truly obscure gems or things that companies like Nintendo decide they no longer want to associate their branding with (whether due to subject matter or politics in the case of PT).

Last edited:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Two things:

1. If the prices are similar then I'd rather always buy physical whether that be music or games.

2. On the upcoming gen, I doubt the storage space will be big enough to justify getting rid of physical games (which save you storage space). My PS3 games for example have small installation sizes of less than 5GB usually for physical games yet I still ran out of hard drive space and had to upgrade to a 500GB SSD because the included 240GB drive wasn't enough. On PS4, the game download sizes for digital only are in the 40GB+ range and it initially came with only 500GB I think. The PS5 will come out with what, 2TB max and probably even bigger game sizes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad