How much do players in Juniors make OHL, ECHL ect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
As a Canadian living in the US, I have often tried to explain to folks down here about the whole junior hockey concept. One buddy after getting up to speed on the issue remarked how crazy it would be if basketball in the US had a junior type program during the school year that replaced high school basketball. I know there is AAU ball but junior hockey in Canada draws enough fans so that players can be paid by teams, not by agents/handlers hoping to cash in later like in hoops and football in the US.

Imagine how much Lebron James would have been offered as a 16 year old if there was a junior basketball program with 10,000 fans watching each game...

Yes, your last sentence is exactly right. Spot on.

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
Like the poster from Florida said, I really do think you are naive. The link about Fowler mentions other players who were paid to go the CHL route like Esposito and Kane so I am not sure how it supports your argument. Jackson might not have had a deep pockets club in the OHL but that doesn't mean he doesn't know of these deals - he just can't prove them and therein lies the rub.

My knowledge of such deals is not heresay per earlier posts.

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
I knew you would use his comments. Except...
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=18554657

And Jackson never coached an OHL team who could afford to pay players to come play for them. So he wouldn't know first hand either.
Like the poster from Florida said, I really do think you are naive. The link about Fowler mentions other players who were paid to go the CHL route like Esposito and Kane so I am not sure how it supports your argument. Jackson might not have had a deep pockets club in the OHL but that doesn't mean he doesn't know of these deals - he just can't prove them and therein lies the rub.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Man Americans are funny. Pay some kid 300-500 bucks a week for hockey and its totally wrong but it's ok for the NCAA to rake in Billions on Football and Basketball

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
But NCAA claims CHL players are pros. Doesn't that mean they make millions (WELL, more than U of Florida football players at least) and the scholarships to CIS SCHOOLS are redundant :sarcasm:

WHAT! They dont make anything they're just good little students that work hard at Burger King for that mercedes they drive around campus and pretend I didn't just say that nobody has a car on those Florida teams

Johnny8242

May 29, 2008
Greenville, SC
In 2005-2006 the ECHL Team here had a thing about how much they paid players. I think it was like 450-500. Veterans get more around 650-750 or so Don't know if that's still up to date . Also do people really not know anything about the ECHL? I don't mean to race to conclusions about the OP but cmon.....

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I knew you would use his comments. Except...
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=18554657

And Jackson never coached an OHL team who could afford to pay players to come play for them. So he wouldn't know first hand either.

Except what?

Did anything ever come of that?

If Jackson's statements are so clearly false, then he'd have been sued for libel and he'd have lost. AFAIK no legal action was taken, which lends validity to his comments. The best defense against libel is truth. Failure to pursue legal action is often a tacit admission that the offensive statements are in fact accurate.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Yes it is. Do you know for a fact players are paid off to come pay? No you don't, you heard it from somewhere else and decided it was fact. And those are other posters claiming they heard rumours Esposito and Kane were paided to play Major Junior.

Except what?

Did anything ever come of that?

If Jackson's statements are so clearly false, then he'd have been sued for libel and he'd have lost. AFAIK no legal action was taken, which lends validity to his comments. The best defense against libel is truth. Failure to pursue legal action is often a tacit admission that the offensive statements are in fact accurate.

Except it shows the comments that Jeff Jackson said about paying players was ********. Jackson coached Guelph, a team who doesn't have the money to pay Americans to come, espeically in the early 00's. He pulled a number out of a hat and said it to be true when it wasn't.

Notice after that Jackson never claimed the OHL payed College players again? If it was just trying to cover it up by threatening to sue, wait a second, they wouldn't do that.

The best players in the CHL are not former College bound kids, teams are not paying them hundreds of thousands of dollars. Its not naive to think that. Theres no prove besides NCAA coaches and personel claiming they do that. Players and their familys when accused always fiercely deny it.

And Windsor and Kitchener didn't have to actually sue to make their point. They made their point without legal action.

james bond

Aug 5, 2007
I am not sure if people are being naive, stubborn or overly protective about players getting paid at the Major Junior level. Of course there is not going to be a paper trail, it is just the nature of the business. In many business' there are what they call 'confidentiallity agreements', which means terms of a deal are not to be disclosed or discussed. This is often used so a business can save money in successive dealings.
The cat is out of the bag with the respect to players making big bucks and it has been going on for some time now. I dont have a contract in hand but I know many players who received money, cars etc to play.
I thought I might include this article of Paul Kariya ($200,000 and that was back in 1993)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1137476/index.htm
of course, if one doesnt like it, one doesnt have to read it.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I am not sure if people are being naive, stubborn or overly protective about players getting paid at the Major Junior level. Of course there is not going to be a paper trail, it is just the nature of the business. In many business' there are what they call 'confidentiallity agreements', which means terms of a deal are not to be disclosed or discussed. This is often used so a business can save money in successive dealings.
The cat is out of the bag with the respect to players making big bucks and it has been going on for some time now. I dont have a contract in hand but I know many players who received money, cars etc to play.
I thought I might include this article of Paul Kariya ($200,000 and that was back in 1993)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1137476/index.htm
of course, if one doesnt like it, one doesnt have to read it.

In my 10 years following the OHL one this is very apparently. Fans of the money teams love to block their ears and pretend everything is alright in the league.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
It's incredibly naive to think star players don't get paid. Reminds me of the people in America who swear up and down that college recruits don't get paid then you see the facts of the Reggie Bush case, for example, come out. I have friends who come from poor black neighborhoods, raised by single mothers who work two minimum wage jobs and they roll around in brand new Range Rovers and have $100,000 watches. Open your eyes.

So, did you rob the jewellery store with them?

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
In my 10 years following the OHL one this is very apparently. Fans of the money teams love to block their ears and pretend everything is alright in the league.

I don't think its so much the teams as it is the agents. To the agents, these kids are investments. When Paul Mara was in Sudbury the rumor was his agent gave him a $30,000 jeep.

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
Yes it is. Do you know for a fact players are paid off to come pay? No you don't, you heard it from somewhere else and decided it was fact. And those are other posters claiming they heard rumours Esposito and Kane were paided to play Major Junior.

Except it shows the comments that Jeff Jackson said about paying players was ********. Jackson coached Guelph, a team who doesn't have the money to pay Americans to come, espeically in the early 00's. He pulled a number out of a hat and said it to be true when it wasn't.

Notice after that Jackson never claimed the OHL payed College players again? If it was just trying to cover it up by threatening to sue, wait a second, they wouldn't do that.

The best players in the CHL are not former College bound kids, teams are not paying them hundreds of thousands of dollars. Its not naive to think that. Theres no prove besides NCAA coaches and personel claiming they do that. Players and their familys when accused always fiercely deny it.

And Windsor and Kitchener didn't have to actually sue to make their point. They made their point without legal action.
I obviously don't have my own proof for all players rumored to have been paid off. But I do have my own proof for a few key players having witnessed face-to-face and phone discussions on such deals.

It would be one thing if I simply had contacts with NCAA coaches and I might understand your skepticism. But, I know several agents and they are the ones who know how the NCAA v CHL recruiting game gets played. And it gets played behind closed doors you don't have access to. I have been behind those doors and witnessed deals first hand. Sorry I didn't videotape them for you.

I am not anti CHL at all. I am just pointing out these payments occur for a select few premium players. The NCAA has numerous issues too, especially in hoops and football where there are no real minor league system and the NCAA monopoly on talent delivers astronomical TV revenues and is froth with unethical stuff. Ask Nick Saban about agents.

The payment inequity in the CHL technically happens in NCAA hockey as well as there are only 18 scholarships to dole out. A player on a full ride at a good school gets $200K of athletic scholarship over 4 years while the 4th/5th liners might get nothing (unless they qualify for financial aid not linked to athletic performance).

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Man Americans are funny. Pay some kid 300-500 bucks a week for hockey and its totally wrong but it's ok for the NCAA to rake in Billions on Football and Basketball

No Kidding! A country that's willing to go to war in the name of capitalism, and yet some of their citizens don't seem to understand how it works.

Unless Hawksfan2828 thinks it should be illegal for 16 yr olds to work, then it's up to those 16 year olds to get the best job, for the most money, that they can.

Real World example: I used to work as a line cook, all of our dishwashers were in high school. A few of them had the maturity, work ethic and talent to move into a cooking position. Was it unfair to the slow, immature kids that a few of their peers ended up making nearly double their hourly wage?

Like you said Joe. NCAA football and basketball are billion dollar enterprises, but somehow it's okay to limit the athletes to work for the value of a scholarship alone? The worst player on a basketball scholarship at Harvard is being compensated better than the best players in the country. Any rule making it illegal to pay some employees, in a billion dollar industry, should be argued in a court of law at some point. Just my opinion....

JHRWriter

Jul 28, 2011
Ya I used to play in the OHL and it was about 150 ... but as some of you mentioned it changes based on the player and team. Sure would be interesting to see the balance sheet of some of these teams haha. I bet some are making some decent dough off these players.

JHRWriter

Jul 28, 2011
On that note though ... NCAA players get wayyyy more value out their 4 years in college as opposed to playing in the CHL. My scholarship was worth $36,000 per year in education over 4 years ($144,000 totoal USD). When I left to play in the OHL I was making $150 a week with free room and board haha can't compare. I then got one year of Cnd Uni paid for ... which amounted to about $5,000 or $6000

Last edited by a moderator:

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Pat Kane got $100 000 to report to London, unconfirmed of course. ;)

Way more than that...your thinking Gagner lol

Some players in junior are sponsored by equipment companies as well but usually small amounts and not publicized. That said, you usually know who used what coming out of junior.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad