How Mr Glass doing?

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Im asking this for fantasy league purpose, I notice that Cody Glass more or less had a "rookie" season as this season was basically his first full NHL season, and he did ok with 35 points. And the season before that he did lead his AHL team in points as well, so I think his last 2 year AHL+NHL have been going the right way numbers wise.

However I dont follow Nashville at all so Im wondering for your guys whom been watching him play all season, how has he been doing this season? improvement? its look like #1 center is open in Nashville or? perhaps #2 center?

Any info I can get regarding Cody Glass is appreciated.

Thanks you

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Im asking this for fantasy league purpose, I notice that Cody Glass more or less had a "rookie" season as this season was basically his first full NHL season, and he did ok with 35 points. And the season before that he did lead his AHL team in points as well, so I think his last 2 year AHL+NHL have been going the right way numbers wise.

However I dont follow Nashville at all so Im wondering for your guys whom been watching him play all season, how has he been doing this season? improvement? its look like #1 center is open in Nashville or? perhaps #2 center?

Any info I can get regarding Cody Glass is appreciated.

Thanks you
I think the first "half" (maybe slightly less than that) he was still being eased in verrrrry slowly (too slowly) and didn't have the confidence of Coach Hynes. You can almost throw that half season away. A lot of our young players were somewhat disadvantaged by Hynes at first, and Glass as certainly in that group. Hynes held young players to a different standard, and they had to walk on eggshells around him to get icetime.

Gradually, he got more of a look, and gradually he started to be recognized as a legitimate option as a regular scoring-line center. I thought he looked best with Duchene on his wing, out of all our centers. He definitely is a bit deferential, and that's right up Duchene's alley because Duchene wants to run the show. So they had good chemistry. I don't know what the exact breakdown of points/minutes was, but regardless of that, I think from that result in the 2nd half, Glass confirmed he's "legit".

Longer term... I'm still not sold on Glass. He's still a bit too tentative and uninvolved sometimes for me. He is a good pass-first center on offense, but I haven't really seen him take charge the way I'd like from a top-2 center. He does his thing, makes his play, and then kind of ducks away? Maybe if he gets a firm role and confidence from the coach right from Day 1, that won't be the same. He has the size, skill, talent you'd want. But Novak outproduced him, and I really like the compete and full-ice game of Parssinen better.

Trotz really seems to want to acquire a more experienced center also. I don't know how he'll make out with that. Parssinen-Glass-Novak-Johansen-Sissons are our options at C. I would nominally default to just rolling Glass back out there on a scoring line with Duchene and seeing how it goes. But who knows, I don't think anything is "set in stone" for us at that position yet for the coming season. :(

I don't think Glass is "safe" for more than 50 pts anyway, from the fantasy perspective. But there are large error bars both directions. :dunno:

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
I think the first "half" (maybe slightly less than that) he was still being eased in verrrrry slowly (too slowly) and didn't have the confidence of Coach Hynes. You can almost throw that half season away. A lot of our young players were somewhat disadvantaged by Hynes at first, and Glass as certainly in that group. Hynes held young players to a different standard, and they had to walk on eggshells around him to get icetime.

Gradually, he got more of a look, and gradually he started to be recognized as a legitimate option as a regular scoring-line center. I thought he looked best with Duchene on his wing, out of all our centers. He definitely is a bit deferential, and that's right up Duchene's alley because Duchene wants to run the show. So they had good chemistry. I don't know what the exact breakdown of points/minutes was, but regardless of that, I think from that result in the 2nd half, Glass confirmed he's "legit".

Longer term... I'm still not sold on Glass. He's still a bit too tentative and uninvolved sometimes for me. He is a good pass-first center on offense, but I haven't really seen him take charge the way I'd like from a top-2 center. He does his thing, makes his play, and then kind of ducks away? Maybe if he gets a firm role and confidence from the coach right from Day 1, that won't be the same. He has the size, skill, talent you'd want. But Novak outproduced him, and I really like the compete and full-ice game of Parssinen better.

Trotz really seems to want to acquire a more experienced center also. I don't know how he'll make out with that. Parssinen-Glass-Novak-Johansen-Sissons are our options at C. I would nominally default to just rolling Glass back out there on a scoring line with Duchene and seeing how it goes. But who knows, I don't think anything is "set in stone" for us at that position yet for the coming season. :(

I don't think Glass is "safe" for more than 50 pts anyway, from the fantasy perspective. But there are large error bars both directions. :dunno:
Thanks you, it was a good read

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I should add that I think the Preds organization "likes Glass". In that he's humble, earnest, wants to do what the organization wants him to do, etc. He's just fully onboard with the team, whatever they do. Which a lot of guys aren't necessarily... others have egos or think they have already earned this or that consideration. Whereas I get the sense Glass is just genuinely happy to have a chance and play in whatever role the team assigns him. And so therefore, the team likes that about him, and therefore, he's going to get any benefit of the doubt which accrues from that.
:dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'd rank him behind Parssinen, but ahead of Novak, and Parssinen/Glass are very close for me. Novak is a cherry picking center, of course he racked up points, he was terrible defensively. Glass on the other hand went head to head against the top lines often, so the trust is there.

This season will tell us what Glass is.
This would be my ranking, with the wildcard that if Johansen received his wakeup call and is healthy, he would probably be better than all 3 of them.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Pärssinen's comfortably ahead of those two in my books. He's just getting his feet wet in the NHL and already looked like a borderline top-six center last year, if he would've gotten a fair shake and some injury luck.

Glass' an okay player, as I've said it before, but he's just not commanding enough to be an effective top-six center. He can be, but his team won't be any good then. If he had that "dog" in him, then yeah, all his other tools could surely translate into a top-six center.

As with Novak, I'm skeptic. He produced when given the chance but like others have said, it at least partially, came at an expense of defense. We'll have to see, I'd actually like to see him as a winger as he's not strong at the dot either. Maybe something like Novak - Johansen - Evangelista as a 3rd line to start the year?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Pärssinen's comfortably ahead of those two in my books. He's just getting his feet wet in the NHL and already looked like a borderline top-six center last year, if he would've gotten a fair shake and some injury luck.

Glass' an okay player, as I've said it before, but he's just not commanding enough to be an effective top-six center. He can be, but his team won't be any good then. If he had that "dog" in him, then yeah, all his other tools could surely translate into a top-six center.

As with Novak, I'm skeptic. He produced when given the chance but like others have said, it at least partially, came at an expense of defense. We'll have to see, I'd actually like to see him as a winger as he's not strong at the dot either. Maybe something like Novak - Johansen - Evangelista as a 3rd line to start the year?
Agreed on all the above. I think with Novak, I want to at least still give him the chance on that line at C, just in case. But definitely with Johansen on the line, and you just slide Johansen over whenever you need to, or when the experiment has run its course.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Agreed on all the above. I think with Novak, I want to at least still give him the chance on that line at C, just in case. But definitely with Johansen on the line, and you just slide Johansen over whenever you need to, or when the experiment has run its course.
I'm curious to see what Brunette values in his centres actually. How much weight does he put on having guys who win faceoffs on the dot? How much weight does he put on being defensively responsible? On playmaking ability? On scoring? I think his eval chart will look different than Hynes'.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm curious to see what Brunette values in his centres actually. How much weight does he put on having guys who win faceoffs on the dot? How much weight does he put on being defensively responsible? On playmaking ability? On scoring? I think his eval chart will look different than Hynes'.
Agreed. Obviously Joey is going to be better on some of those things than ANY of the young centers are... today. But it is also hopefully obvious that there is no real future with Joey. We need to see what the younger players can do in those areas, how much they can learn on the job, hopefully without all the strings attached per the Hynes approach. If they get every opportunity pushed at them, and they STILL can't handle it... ok, that's knowledge which I think is valuable to have gathered. We need to know.

And probably most especially with Novak, since he's on a cheap deal and he's UFA after this. Is he for real? If so, that'd be fantastic. I don't think many people here are very confident about him. But here's our chance, a homegrown center steps up and gets nearly a ppg, even in sub-optimal conditions? Let's take a thorough look. We need to WANT these youngsters to succeed, to give them every chance, not just leave it up to them to see if they can force our grudging hand while we construct a gauntlet for them to try to navigate through.

Reactions: Kat Predator

nullednumbed

Jun 27, 2022
After he was hired in an interview he was stressing he wants forwars who can really maintain puck possession and go get it back aggressively when possession is given up.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
After he was hired in an interview he was stressing he wants forwars who can really maintain puck possession and go get it back aggressively when possession is given up.
Exactly. Brunette is going to stress puck possession. So winning faceoffs, getting in passing lanes to force turnovers, smart and efficient passing to maintain possession, scoring, etc. would appear to be more important for Brunette's centres than, oh say, "knowing your role in the system".

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Exactly. Brunette is going to stress puck possession. So winning faceoffs, getting in passing lanes to force turnovers, smart and efficient passing to maintain possession, scoring, etc. would appear to be more important for Brunette's centres than, oh say, "knowing your role in the system".
That is absolutely no different than what has been told to the players since Laviolette was fired. The real hope here is that Brunette can deliver that message in a more effective way. And, hopefully that up lifting message will enable these players to suddenly make and receive crisp passes.

Roster decisions could, should, and surely will be quite different from last year, drastically different than the beginning of last year, but it is still up to the veteran CC members to execute at a much higher level than what we saw from them for what amounts to 1.5 seasons if this team is going to succeed at currently constructed, even with the influx of kids.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Sorry to intrude here but just commenting that many Winnipeg fans would be all for a deal around PLD and Glass
Not sure many Preds fans would be in for that at all.

Kid has a reputation of being a whiner/quitter and thinks he deserves 1C money (he has shown zero signs he’s that good).

Reactions: hockey diva

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Sorry to intrude here but just commenting that many Winnipeg fans would be all for a deal around PLD and Glass
I might grudgingly trade just Glass straight up for PLD, but I'm pretty sure that's not what Winnipeg fans are thinking "a deal around" means.

Just because I do think PLD plays a tougher game and has more offense, so I could swallow the misgivings about his character to take what seems like a clear upgrade.

But obviously that's not what's on the table. So.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I might grudgingly trade just Glass straight up for PLD, but I'm pretty sure that's not what Winnipeg fans are thinking "a deal around" means.

Just because I do think PLD plays a tougher game and has more offense, so I could swallow the misgivings about his character to take what seems like a clear upgrade.

But obviously that's not what's on the table. So.
I'd be happy with that. If I was a Jets fan. :DD

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Not sure many Preds fans would be in for that at all.

Kid has a reputation of being a whiner/quitter and thinks he deserves 1C money (he has shown zero signs he’s that good).
Depends on what all goes with glass to finish the deal and what kind of money dubois wants. Dubois is only 1 year older and has accomplished alot more than glass has

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad