Line Combos: How many "tough" players do the Toronto Maple Leafs have?

Who are the "tough" players on the Toronto Maple Leafs?

• Total voters

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Other than Muzzin and maybe Hyman, I can't think of anyone else. I don't like the fact that Clifford is leaving, but if they can find someone in the system who is younger and cheaper, then so be it. We need a little more grit on this team. Skill is nice, but if the Leafs are going to be pushed around and not really battle hard for the puck, is it worth it to have more skill?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Other than Muzzin and maybe Hyman, I can't think of anyone else. I don't like the fact that Clifford is leaving, but if they can find someone in the system who is younger and cheaper, then so be it. We need a little more grit on this team. Skill is nice, but if the Leafs are going to be pushed around and not really battle hard for the puck, is it worth it to have more skill?

Leafs had that type of player Mason Marchment in the system to replace Clifford, but he was dealt for Denis Malgin.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Would like to know how many tough/physical presence players we think the Leafs have right now, in the fans eyes...

We've seen a lot of toughness, grit, and even fights in the playoffs so far (particularly in the Eastern Conference).

Who do you think are our guys who can "beat em in the alley"?

I think I can count 1 or 2 players.

What do you think?

Not sure if they have any "beat em in the alley" types but Muzz and Hyman are harder guys to play against and if they had 3 of each in the lineup the Leafs would be a very hard club to play physical with. Clifford was basically it and if he gave the Leafs his 18-19 season people would be missing him a lot more. I would put JT, Holl and Mik into the "not soft" category where they don't need extra grit on the club to balance out what they don't do. Too many guys on the club that will take a face wash from a D man and just cringe and too few that will step up and do anything at all after a team mate takes a cheap shot. You don't need alley guys much any more but they could play a lot tougher without fighting.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We don't necessarily need a team of face punchers, but we should have more players, who are harder to play against. Anyone who is a fan, knows our players who fit into that category. Even that aside, our skill guys have to become harder to play against, and do more to win.

Reactions: ACC1224

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Leafs had that type of player Mason Marchment in the system to replace Clifford, but he was dealt for Denis Malgin.

I'm not sure a 25 year old with 4 nhl games under his belt was going to be able to replace Clifford (or even come close to making the team)

If the Leafs want another guy like him on that line there'll be actual nhlers in free agency to choose from. Will have to wait and see if Dubas does that though.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Nylander is more mental tough than anyone on the team dealing with the media.

Matthews is tough as f***.

Have you seen Marner's arms?

Tavares has a baby, that's tough.
Marner is pretty strong for his size. In 2017 he was reported to be squatting 400 lbs parallel.
His trainer called him one of the pound per pound strongest players in the league.
And he ain't scared.
Watch "Buffalo Sabres vs Toronto Maple Leafs Game Ending Brawl (Feb 11, 2017)" on YouTube

Reactions: Smif

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'm not sure a 25 year old with 4 nhl games under his belt was going to be able to replace Clifford (or even come close to making the team)

If the Leafs want another guy like him on that line there'll be actual nhlers in free agency to choose from. Will have to wait and see if Dubas does that though.

You are correct on Marchment, he was a long shot for sure... but we need more guys like him in the system... even if they are longer shots. I mean, let's list all of the heavy guys who are our prospects... I think the number is about... zero. Instead of having to pay in picks, and overpay in Cap, it would make some sense, to have a few guys in the system, whether these are late round picks, or UFA signings, it is a shortcoming for us.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Changing?

I think it's more him begrudgingly accepting that his idealistic view of how the game should be played (wimpy/non-contact) is not how it actually plays out in reality in the NHL, and not at all what's conducive towards having success - especially during the playoffs.

In other words, changing.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Lol at the question. The answer is zero and it's very obvious.

Calling Muzzin tough is amusing.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I said it before and I'll say it again, if we can't bring in a gritty guy with skill, bring back Matt Martin on a 1 year deal as cheap as possible. He can still hold his own in game decently and is as tough as they come nowadays.

Btw who voted for Nylander :laugh:

Reactions: ToneDog

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Not nearly enough is the right answer. But Muzzin and Hyman (just because he is willing to go to the corners and take a hit) as of right now that’s it and not nearly enough.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I said it before and I'll say it again, if we can't bring in a gritty guy with skill, bring back Matt Martin on a 1 year deal as cheap as possible. He can still hold his own in game decently and is as tough as they come nowadays.

Btw who voted for Nylander :laugh:
Dubas

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I think the OP wanted the answer for which Leafs are physically tough. Which you typically just look at penalty minutes and you have your answer. How important at the end of the day is this? Hire Orr and MacLaren types to patrol the 4th line if this is importnat.

What about mental toughness.
Who trains the hardest, who studies film when they could be out with friends. Finish a shift hard when the legs are burning, stay out on the ice working on the shot after practice, layout for a shot block. I appreciate this more than straight physical toughness (Even though I loved Orr, Mark Fraser and MacLaren) Fraser XRay below blocked a shot with his skull.

18ncz1ekhw55qjpg.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-17_15-29-24.gif
    37 bytes · Views: 2

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Toughness is a broadly defined term. It's a state of mind. A willingness to sacrifice and go full out and apply your Will against your opponent and compete harder than them in any battle be it for the puck, space on the ice or what have you.

It's a success in close quarter that inherently occur during a game. Be it getting the puck, giving or taking a hit (and still going), getting to the net, getting off a shot or a pass when your opponents is trying to stop you in close proximity. Letting the other team know that you are present and you are involved.

If you try and drive past a player and are taken off the puck with ease, you're weak, as opposed to tough. If you fight through, get a pass off or at least make the other player battle hard, you have an element of toughness. The more successful you are in these encounters, the "tougher" you are.

- Theo Fleury was a 5'6 gnat, but, he was tough. He skated hard, drove to the net with persistence.

- Gilmour was tough. He was a lightweight, but, he wouldn't shy away from taking a hit or controlling the play.

- Matthew Tkachuk is a pest, but also relentless. Why? He wants to win. Winners aren't worried about contact or a bruise on their pinky. He is tough, like him or not. None of the above are big guys.

Tough players aren't going to win every battle, but nobody is taking their lunch money without some effort. To me THESE types of players are what Leafs need. If they have a few more pounds to play lower in the lineup, with less scoring touch, but relentless drive, that works well too as Leafs are a lightweight team and weak to boot. A horrible combination when other teams know this.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner is pretty strong for his size. In 2017 he was reported to be squatting 400 lbs parallel.
His trainer called him one of the pound per pound strongest players in the league.
And he ain't scared.
Watch "Buffalo Sabres vs Toronto Maple Leafs Game Ending Brawl (Feb 11, 2017)" on YouTube

Yeah he’s always been a good teammate

Reactions: Smif

Ifittex il Verita

Sep 11, 2019
The annoying thing is we have larger players who just refuse to play tough
Rielly, Engvall, Holl, Goat, these ain't small guys. It's just none of them have a mean bone in their body.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Would like to know how many tough/physical presence players we think the Leafs have right now, in the fans eyes...

We've seen a lot of toughness, grit, and even fights in the playoffs so far (particularly in the Eastern Conference).

Who do you think are our guys who can "beat em in the alley"?

I think I can count 1 or 2 players.

What do you think?
1 tough,,muzzy

2 guys that have some grit hym/riel

and may just maybe 4 ish that are not complete :tinker:s

the rest are pure mommy muffens

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
And he ain't scared.

Strength has little to do with tough. Just because he bear hugged a guy doesn’t mean he is tough.

Tough is breaking your ankle and playing through the playoffs, Shanahan says hello.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You have to be able to sacrifice on both sides of the puck.

Not go through the playoffs like it’s game 20 Reg season.

If you are waiting for perfect play opportunities or rush style an entire series, well we will probably be talking about why the team failed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad