How many team sports have their top NT tournament within the Olympics?

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Basketball has one of their two big tournaments each cycle at the Olympics (the Olympics and World Cup form a de facto biennial world championship system).

Same holds true with women's soccer (except that the Olympic champ is world champ for three years and the World Cup winner only one). Men's soccer Olympics are essentially the U-23 World Cup.

It's unknown where the Olympic tourney will end up relative to the Sevens World Series in terms of Rugby 7s prestige, but any 7s is going to be far behind the 15-a-side World Cup in terms of the rugby union championship hierarchy.

The other team sports are field hockey, team handball, volleyball, and water polo. I don't how the Olympics fit into those sports' championship hierarchies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Olympics is the biggest tournament for handball, but on the other hand it's easier to medal than the World Cup(and Euros too, for that matter) due to its 12 team format. But I guess the question mostly is if teams bring their best players, and yes they do, injuries aside.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Olympics is the biggest tournament for handball, but on the other hand it's easier to medal than the World Cup(and Euros too, for that matter) due to its 12 team format. But I guess the question mostly is if teams bring their best players, and yes they do, injuries aside.

True, it's easier to medal, but fewer teams means it's harder to qualify.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
The Soccer tournament isnt even a U23 tournament, since some (for Sweden quite alot) of U23 players arent released by thier clubs. On the other hand there's like what 3 overage players allowed too. Sweden had 53 players that had turn down invitation.

Last edited:

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
I think for football, baseball, golf, the olympics are less prestigious then those own tournament.
If you look at golf, many of the top players have declined to play in the Olympics in Rio.

For the other sports Olympics should be the most prestigious championship/tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad