Series Talk: How many points do the Leafs need to Clinch a Playoff Spot?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Question should be whether or not they will catch Boston not clinching a playoff spot. This is a given regardless of the Mathematics!!!

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
You can find lots of examples of why this team are in 3rd right now...zero wins against NYI, STL and ARI. One win vs Boston and that early season loss to the Sens was a stinker.

If only they didn't take the month of Jan off they would have home ice right now and could be resting Andy and several stars down the stretch with an easy schedule.

Instead Andy likely gets used hard over the next month by Babs until we clinch and if we get close to Boston he will ride him. He should be resting for the next few weeks and then given 4 out of the last 6 starts to make sure he is in game shape for the playoffs.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
I actually did this last night outta boredom.

Montreal has 79 pts in 69 games, so max they can get if they won every remaining game would be 105 points.
Leafs are currently at 89 pts. 105-89 = 16 pts divided by 2 (a win is 2 pts lol) = 8

Leafs Magic # (Leaf wins + Montreal losses) is 8

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
You both need to stay in math class. The Leafs need to have a combination of 17 points in wins or lost points by Montreal or Columbus. If the Leafs get to 106 points they clinch for themselves. That could change daily depending if C-Bus or Montreal lose.

Thats what i was going to say.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
You can find lots of examples of why this team are in 3rd right now...zero wins against NYI, STL and ARI. One win vs Boston and that early season loss to the Sens was a stinker.

But none of those directly handed points to Boston. Thats the point. Its the biggest single reason we're in the whole we're in.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Past games are water under the bridge now. What counts is we have a good week this week. Boston I think will struggle this week. It is Bruins hardest week left on their schedule. If we are serious about home ice then we will take it over this week. I think we should.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Past games are water under the bridge now. What counts is we have a good week this week. Boston I think will struggle this week. It is Bruins hardest week left on their schedule. If we are serious about home ice then we will take it over this week. I think we should.

The Bruins cannot go on a crazy tear like they've been doing for the rest of the year. There will very likely be some tough losses for them in the near future, it's just the way the league is, no matter who's coming back from injury or what team they're playing.

I feel like the Leafs have been playing better and better, not quite there yet, but they're on the road to reaching their peak.
Bruins should be slowing down aaaaaaaany time now . . . :help:

We've got this.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
But none of those directly handed points to Boston. Thats the point. Its the biggest single reason we're in the whole we're in.

I did mention Boston though. If you get one more win against those guys and another loser point or two vs those western teams, we wouldn't have this discussion right now.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
More points than they currently have collected, so, the points drive must continue.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I actually did this last night outta boredom.

Carolina has 79 pts in 68 games, so max they can get if they won every remaining game would be 107 points.
Leafs are currently at 89 pts. 107-89 = 18 pts divided by 2 (a win is 2 pts lol) = 9

Leafs Magic # (Leaf wins + Columbus losses) is 9

Carolina can get 109 points, did you mean Columbus?

Also, you shouldn't be looking at the 8th place team, you should be looking at the 9th place team. Montreal is currently 9th, can can't get more than 105 points this season.

Reactions: dsred

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
So as the Tampa Bay Lighting have been the First team this Season to Clinch their spot in the 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs as they are off to having one of their best Seasons in History and are looking like a lock for the Cup, us Maple Leaf Fans are probably wondering, how many Points do we need to Clinch our Spot? Well I did the Math and I am about to give you the answer. So right now at the moment, the Leafs are 3rd in the Atlantic Division with 89 points behind the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Boston Bruins. And the Closest Team Division wise to catch up to the Leafs are the Montreal Canadiens who stand 4th in the Atlantic with 79 pts. So they are 10 pts behind. The Toronto Maple Leafs have played a total of 68 games while the Habs have played a total of 69 games which gives Toronto the Games In Hand advantage with 1 game. So if we do the Math, if the Leafs win there next 2 games they will have 93 pts. And if the habs lose their next 2 games, they will have played a total of 71 games and can't possibly catch up to the Leafs point wise. So there fore the Leafs just need 93 pts and 2 wins to Clinch a Spot in the 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs. But overall it doesn't matter because the Leafs are in anyways.

Why do you say this, if the Habs have 79 points in 71 games, that means mathematically, they can still get another 22 points (11 games) which will give them a total of 101 points. Am I missing something here.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
All you need to do is look at Montreal, we aren’t going anywhere unless they pass us. They have 79 points with 13 more GP for them.

I’d say with their play lately, a 7-6 record or worse is likely their probability. That’s 14 points which puts them at 93. So we just need more than that, doesn’t matter though because we’ll be way further along.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Why do you say this, if the Habs have 79 points in 71 games, that means mathematically, they can still get another 22 points (11 games) which will give them a total of 101 points. Am I missing something here.
Montreal has only played 69 games.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Montreal has only played 69 games.

The OP had said that if the Habs lose their next 2 games, they'll have played 71 games and cannot mathematically catch us with 93 points (assuming we win our next 2 games)

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Carolina can get 109 points, did you mean Columbus?

Also, you shouldn't be looking at the 8th place team, you should be looking at the 9th place team. Montreal is currently 9th, can can't get more than 105 points this season.

youre right and youre right. lol brain fart. Magic # is 8 then

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
The OP had said that if the Habs lose their next 2 games, they'll have played 71 games and cannot mathematically catch us with 93 points (assuming we win our next 2 games)
The OP was making quite a few assumptions. Most of us here are referring to what actually exists in the present.

Reactions: TorMapleJays

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
the Habs sched is pretty rough. you can see easily 5 losses (One of the 2 NYI matchups, TB, @ Chi, @ Wash, @WPG), so Leafs moreso have to win 3-5 games the rest of the way to clinch.

Leafs are 100% in the playoffs. 0 stress this yr

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
The OP was making quite a few assumptions. Most of us here are referring to what actually exists in the present.

I understand that but my question was not to do with anything other than his (or her) mathematical mistake. OP is assuming Montreal loses next 2 games and we win next 2 games and then states that Montreal will have 79 points in 71 games and so cannot mathematically catch us, but they can still get 101 points if they win their remaining 11.

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
I understand that but my question was not to do with anything other than his (or her) mathematical mistake. OP is assuming Montreal loses next 2 games and we win next 2 games and then states that Montreal will have 79 points in 71 games and so cannot mathematically catch us, but they can still get 101 points if they win their remaining 11.
Yes Montreal could still theoretically get 101 points in that scenario. That's why we would need 102 to be safe. But 106 clinches the whole thing with no help from anyone given the current records.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad