Speculation: How many PHWA voters will leave Auston Matthews off the Hart ballot?

How many voters won't give Auston Matthews a Hart vote?

• Total voters

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Last season there were Edmonton voters who left MacKinnon of their Hart ballot.

I assume even more will do something similar this season considering the fact that Matthews plays for Toronto.

Busher

May 17, 2021
It doesn't matter unless Mathews has a chance at winning, and he doesn't. It's McDavid's trophy.
Every fan base has media members like that, and history has shown that.

At this point Leaf fans should only be concerned about 1 trophy...

:stanley:

It’s still an accomplishment to be a Hart finalist. With the season he’s just had blowing away the competition in total goals (and game winning goals) and finishing top 5 in points and keeping the Leafs atop the division all year and flirting with the Presidents Trophy all year, he should be a clear favourite for 2nd in all Hart ballots.

It’s even an amazing accomplishment that he was able to make it a conversation to be the Hart winner outright for the first 3/4 of the season.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I'm more curious as to who doesn't vote McDavid #1 for the Hart.

An argument could be made for leaving Matthews out of the top 3......McDavid - Kane - Crosby - Mackinnon - Stone - Panarin - Barkov - Marchand - Huberdeau - Makar - Chychrun

I would strongly disagree with Matthews out of the top 3, but I could understand the argument that maybe according to someone, he's the 4th most important player.

Reactions: slozo

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Who cares about nomination when is clear who is gonna win the award?

Some people will pick McDavid #1, Vasy #2 and Adam Fox #3. And there is nothing wrong about it. Even Drai have better case for nomination than Matthews.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Probably quite a few, there were 170 voters last year. Might be more this year and I figure the majority didn't watch much outside of their division.

Last year Draisaitl and MacKinnon were on 168 ballots, Panarin was on 161, Pastrnak was on 124, and nobody else was on 100.

Usually only near-unanimous Hart winners are on every ballot.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I'm still upset about Phil Kessel getting screwed out of the Conn Smythe in 2016. A mixture of people wanting to give it to Crosby because he didn't have one yet and Toronto media that hated Phil.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
He wont win it anyways. He was the best goal scorer, and one of the best 5 on 5, but Mcdavid blew everyone out of the water.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Everyone should vote for McDavid and leave the rest blank.

Matthews should be able to get himself a Hart eventually, but McDavid is running away with it for now.

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
Mcdavid will win anyways( and he should). But I definitely agree that there is good chance Edmonton voters will keep him off their ballot so that he doesn’t get nominated.

he deserves to be nominated tho , first in goals and second in the league with ESP.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Considering for the Hart you pick 5 people I highly doubt anyone will leave him off. It wouldn't surprise me if he got to 5th place votes but to have him 6th or lower would just be anti-leaf. Or someone from Pittsburgh or Colorado trying to get Sid or MacK into the top 3.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Was going to say "He'd be very tough to make it on my ballot to be very honest, as much as I think he's deserving of a nod." - but then someone here reminded me that there's 5 names on every ballot, so he should be on almost all.

My ballot:
1 - McDavid
2 - MacKinnon
3 - Marchand
4 - Matthews
5 - Draisaitl

(leaving our goalies, because I dislike putting them on Hart ballots, I don't think it should be allowed actually)

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
There's going to be times when you're really God Damned good but you don't win the trophy.
Signed,
Brad Park

Reactions: Busher

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Matthews should win heart.

- Dealt with a major injury. Couldn't hold a stick.
- Leafs have had goalie issues all season.
- Matthews has elevated the Maple Leafs to another level.
- Leads the NHL in the hardest category, GOAL SCORING.
- Most game winning goals in the NHL.
- Not in the top 50 in PP points or goals. (mostly even strength scoring, harder than scoring on PP)
- has not padded goals with empty netters (ZERO empty net goals this season)

NO other forward in the NHL can check off these boxes.

If you put any other forward ahead of Matthews, let alone 3 like some posts on here, you prove your ignorance. Just plain clueless.

Reactions: Confucius

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Don't know and don't particularly care. Ask Edmonton how happy they are with being an award winning regular season team.

Busher

May 17, 2021
Matthews should win heart.

- Dealt with a major injury. Couldn't hold a stick.
- Leafs have had goalie issues all season.
- Matthews has elevated the Maple Leafs to another level.
- Leads the NHL in the hardest category, GOAL SCORING.
- Most game winning goals in the NHL.
- Not in the top 50 in PP points or goals. (mostly even strength scoring, harder than scoring on PP)
- has not padded goals with empty netters (ZERO empty net goals this season)

NO other forward in the NHL can check off these boxes.

If you put any other forward ahead of Matthews, let alone 3 like some posts on here, you prove your ignorance. Just plain clueless.

If you asked me 1/3 of the way through the season, I’d have Matthews in the lead for Hart. He had 18 goals in his 18 games (19 team games), 29 points and Leafs were around that time leading the league in points.

The middle third of the season is where Matthews lost the lead for Hart.

He picked it up again in the final third of the season, but McDavid was by then just on another level. It’s pretty clear McDavid was the favorite as the season was coming to a close.

Had Matthews scored 50 goals instead of 41, I *might* be inclined to argue for Matthews.

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
Who cares about nomination when is clear who is gonna win the award Some people will pick McDavid #1, Vasy #2 and Adam Fox #3. And there is nothing wrong about it. Even Drai have better case for nomination than Matthews.
What??

Matthews should be #2.

Does not matter as we all know McDavid clear #1.

Reactions: Busher

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Debate who had the best year, who is most valuable to their team, etc. All fun and part of being a fan.

Don't get invested or care about the result. A clique of writers, some with personal scores to settle, others who feel players are "owed" something after the fact if their prime was blocked by another elite talent, others who play ridiculous games like keep MacKinnon off a ballot last year. There's lots of great open-minded writers, there's others who are just absolute babies about imagined slights and other nonsense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad