How many Habs players will we see at the 2014 Olympics?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Sochi-2014-Olympics.png

Cole - USA?
Eller - Does Denmark have a team?
Gionta - USA?
Pacioretty - USA?
Plekanec - Czech Republic
Diaz - Switzerland?
Emelin - Russia?
Kaberle - Czech Republic
Markov - Russia
Subban - Canada?
Weber - Switzerland?
Price - Canada?
Galchenyuk - USA?

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Locks:
Plekanec, Eller(if team qualifies), Diaz and Weber. Price (as a backup)

Close to locks:
Price (as the starter), Pacioretty (Just needs to continue what he does), Kaberle and Markov (if their age isn't a problem + health)

Will get a shot: Subban(canada's defense is so deep), Emelin (still developping but played international games so will get at least a call), Cole ( if he proves that he can continue to score 30)

Longshots: Gally (too early), Desharnais (too deep at center in Canada, but we never know). Gionta ( USA is very deep at wingers, prefer size and already many good defensive forwards in Callahan, Backes, Brown, Parise and Kesler.

Tom Terrific

Oct 31, 2007
barring any future trades where an impact player is traded to Montreal.....1- Carey Price

I meant for Canada

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
As the team stands right now, I'd expect to see Eller, Pleks, Price, Diaz, Weber and Patches at the Olympics barring injuries.

Wildcards would be (in order of likeliness): Subban, Cole, Markov, Galchenyuk and Kaberle.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
I don't see how Gionta makes the US team, other than that.. the list could be close.

Tom Terrific

Oct 31, 2007
I don't see any tabs making team USA except Pacioretty

The only hab making team Canada is Price because Team Canada's defence is too deep for Subban and DD making Team Canada is just a die hard Habs fan in denial of other players in the NHL...

Others Eller-100%, Weber and Diaz as well because those countries do not have the depth that Canada/USA/Russia/Sweeden have.

Pleks - !00%...just maybe not a top 2 line guy anymore...

And I do think that Markov will make it as will Emelin due to the fact that Russia typically has a waker defence core.

dralaf

Aug 9, 2006
Victo
Wasn’t Bettman against NHLers participating in the 2014 Olympics???
(that plus an inevitable lockout… those Mayas might be right after all…)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Locks:

Close to locks:
Price (as the starter), Pacioretty (Just needs to continue what he does), Kaberle and Markov (if their age isn't a problem + health)

Will get a shot: Subban(canada's defense is so deep), Emelin (still developping but played international games so will get at least a call), Cole ( if he proves that he can continue to score 30)

Longshots: Gally (too early), Desharnais (too deep at center in Canada, but we never know). Gionta ( USA is very deep at wingers, prefer size and already many good defensive forwards in Callahan, Backes, Brown, Parise and Kesler.

Plekanec is no lock. Diaz and Weber too.

Kaberle maybe. Markov only if he gets back on track this year.

The only sure shot is Emelin.

feds91

May 17, 2004
Locks: Plekanec (CZE), Weber (CHE), Diaz (CHE), Eller (DNK), Budaj (SVK)

Probables: Price (CAN), Pacioretty (USA), Markov (RUS)

Possibles: Subban (CAN), Nokolainen (FIN), Emelin (RUS), Cole (USA), Gionta (USA), Galchenyuk (USA), Berger (CHE)

24stanleycups*

Potentially......

Canada - Carey Price, (lock), PK Subban, (outside chance as of now, just have to see how much he improves, camp invite for sure)
USA - Max Pacioretty (pretty decent chance), Erik Cole(if he continues to tear it up), Brian Gionta (very outside chance, but they might conclude that they need more veteran leadership on their team), Alex Galchenyuk;), (We can only hope he's that good that fast)
Russia - Andrei Markov,(lock), Alexei Emelin (outside chance, camp invite for sure)
Czech Republic - Tomas Plekanec(lock), Tomas Kaberle:shakehead..but probabley a lock.
Switzerland - Yannick Weber, Raphael Diaz...both locks.
Denmark Lars Eller, (lock)
Slovakia Peter Budaj (camp invite, if he's still with us.)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Price is a sure bet. Who's better than him atm ?
Patches is another sure bet atm..
Eller is a sure bet on the team..
Plekanec is a sure bet...
Diaz and Weber are sure bet too.

P.K. could do it. I think he's not too far off Seabrook was 2 years ago... But still with Pietrangelo, Weber, Doughty, Seabrook, Keith, Letang, Myers, Campbell, Phaneuf, Burns.. It sure will be hard.

Tinordi, Collberg, Beaulieu, Leblanc, Galchenyuk are all wild cards.

Tom Terrific

Oct 31, 2007
I'm a HUGE Subban fan, I hope he signs with Montreal long term...HOWEVER, I feel many of you are undervaluing Canada's young defensemen....In 2010 Team Canada had: Niedermayer, Pronger, Boyle, Weber, Seabrook, Keith and Doughty.

I could see 3 returnees...possibly 4 (Weber, Doughty, Keith....Seabrook). Take into consideration natural progression of all players and not just Subban, remove any "future NHLers" possibilities (i.e. Murray,etc) and look at current NHLers. I don't see Subban in the top 7 needed to make the team.

I could see Pietrangelo, Myers, Burns making the team before Subban (just to name a few). The thing is with such a stacked team offensively, what Subban brings to the team is already covered by Doughty,Weber and co, the need is to have big defensemen that can move bides out of Price's way in the crease like a Pietrangelo.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Price is a sure bet. Who's better than him atm ?
Patches is another sure bet atm..
Eller is a sure bet on the team..
Plekanec is a sure bet...
Diaz and Weber are sure bet too.

P.K. could do it. I think he's not too far off Seabrook was 2 years ago... But still with Pietrangelo, Weber, Doughty, Seabrook, Keith, Letang, Myers, Campbell, Phaneuf, Burns.. It sure will be hard.

Tinordi, Collberg, Beaulieu, Leblanc, Galchenyuk are all wild cards.

Ward=Stanley cup
Fleury=Stanley cup
Luongo=Gold medal goalie in 2010

Not saying they're better, just saying an argument could be made for them being in there before him.

If Brodeur plays till 2014 he may be there as 3rd string for experience as well.

If price continues to perform he should be a lock but other goalies may emerge and even then Ward is pretty good as well. Fleury was an invite before I believe.

I don't think Price has WC experience either. It makes it complicated because I think others do.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Ward=Stanley cup
Fleury=Stanley cup

Not saying they're better, just saying an argument could be made for them being in there before him.

If Brodeur plays till 2014 he may be there as 3rd string for experience as well.

If price continues to perform he should be a lock but other goalies may emerge and even then Ward is pretty good as well. Fleury was an invite before I believe.

I don't think Price has WC experience either. It makes it complicated because I think others do.

Canada should make Luongo their starter, it would even the playing field between the different countries.

pine*

Ward=Stanley cup
Fleury=Stanley cup

lulz Fleury.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
Price and Subban both for Canada

Eller for Denmark

Markov and Enelin for Russia

Plekanec for Czech Rep.

Pacioretty for USA

Gally maybe

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Ward=Stanley cup
Fleury=Stanley cup

Price will likely be one of the 3. But he's far from a lock in the top 2. There's just too many good goalies in Canada and we're still a year and a half away from the Olympics.

JesusBouillon

Jan 29, 2009
As the team stands right now, I'd expect to see Eller, Pleks, Price, Diaz, Weber and Patches at the Olympics barring injuries.

Wildcards would be (in order of likeliness): Subban, Cole, Markov, Galchenyuk and Kaberle.

For a sec I thought Gally was Canadian, but yeah I guess he has a small shot at the US roster if he plays next season and dominate. Americans are a bit thin in the middle.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
Locks:

Close to locks:

Lol at even bringing in Desharnais into the team Canada discussion. Because Desharnais cannot be a third or fourth line center, Canada would ice three teams before they even consider Desharnais

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad