How many goals will Ovechkin score in 2022-23?

How many goals will Ovechkin score in 2022-23?

• 25 or less (how many?)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 31-35

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • 36-40

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • 41-45

Votes: 53 32.5%
  • 46-50

Votes: 39 23.9%
  • 51+ (how many?)

Votes: 14 8.6%

• Total voters

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Road to 894 is still alive. He's currently sitting at 780 so he needs 114 more goals.

He just turned 37 a few days ago...hopefully he has one more 50 goal season in him because it'll help a ton.

If he plays 3 more years (until age 40), he'll need to average 38 goals a season
If he plays 4 more seasons (until age 41) , he'll need to average 29 goals a season

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
41-45 is the most likely IMO. He's the greatest goal scorer of all time, but dude is 37.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
He’s getting up there, but I think he’s earned the benefit of the doubt to score at his usual rate until we see otherwise. Being 37 would normally be enough to call it safely at this point, but right now, I’m more concerned about healing from injuries and the daily grind at 37 than his actual scoring prowess, if I were to be concerned yet.

I’m going to pencil him in to score 46 goals in 76 games played for 2022-2023.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s going to be one of two extremes for Ovechkin from here on out. A continuous stream of 40-50 goal seasons or an overnight decline to 30 goals.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Was Ovechkin injured last season? Or did he just slow down due to age/bad stretch? Because he was great in the first half, a lot less in the second half and even playoffs.

I'd guess at ~40-45, but wouldn't discount 50+ again.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Was Ovechkin injured last season? Or did he just slow down due to age/bad stretch? Because he was great in the first half, a lot less in the second half and even playoffs.

I think it’s was probably natural variance after such a hot start, but he also carried a lot of the load with Backstrom, Oshie and Mantha missing a bunch of time. Even after 19 goals his first 22 games, he still had 31 in his final 55, which is a 46 goal pace though.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

The Caps’ entire 2nd line was injured in the first half, so he had a ton of minutes. He averaged 22 minutes a night, some games he went up to 24-25 min.

That’s a ton of minutes at age 36. At age 25, he could sustain that kind of workload no problem.

It’s impressive that he was the leading scorer in the NHL and front runner for the Hart after the 1st half of the season at his age.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I remember last year when I said he'd hit 50, so many clowns said he's done and wouldn't even hit 40 (some were saying he'd struggle to hit 30 lol). Like I said last year, excluding 1 freak covid season, he's been at 50 goal pace for the last 4 seasons. League GPG is going up. Physicality is going down. Nutrition/training/recovery is improving. OV is the GOAT goal scorer and still the 2nd best in the league after Matthews. Until proven otherwise, he's going to score 50 (assuming health).

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Since this is Ovechkin we are talking about, I wouldn’t be at all shocked to see him hit 50 again, even at the age of 37. That being said, he did struggle to get there last season and only made it due to some good fortune (9 empty net goals). Was last year the beginning of a decline that he has somehow been managing to stave off for years? Possibly, but I don’t think that means his goal totals are going to fall off a cliff. If I had to guess, I expect to see ~45 goals from him next season.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The Caps’ entire 2nd line was injured in the first half, so he had a ton of minutes. He averaged 22 minutes a night, some games he went up to 24-25 min.

That’s a ton of minutes at age 36. At age 25, he could sustain that kind of workload no problem.

It’s impressive that he was the leading scorer in the NHL and front runner for the Hart after the 1st half of the season at his age.

I'm not really criticizing, I was honestly asking if there was an injury or not. I remember when he slowed down in the second half people speculated he may have been injured, and I was curious if anything was ever announced after playoffs. Based on the responses it sounds like no, he just slowed down some.

Still a fantastic season overall.

I remember last year when I said he'd hit 50, so many clowns said he's done and wouldn't even hit 40 (some were saying he'd struggle to hit 30 lol). Like I said last year, excluding 1 freak covid season, he's been at 50 goal pace for the last 4 seasons. League GPG is going up. Physicality is going down. Nutrition/training/recovery is improving. OV is the GOAT goal scorer and still the 2nd best in the league after Matthews. Until proven otherwise, he's going to score 50 (assuming health).

I think I'd slot Draisailt above him as a goal-scorer right now - or at least as more likely to score more goals. Ovechkin is probably 3rd though.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
I'm not really criticizing, I was honestly asking if there was an injury or not. I remember when he slowed down in the second half people speculated he may have been injured, and I was curious if anything was ever announced after playoffs. Based on the responses it sounds like no, he just slowed down some.

Still a fantastic season overall.

I think I'd slot Draisailt above him as a goal-scorer right now - or at least as more likely to score more goals. Ovechkin is probably 3rd though.
I’d even put McDavid and Kaprizov in the OV goal scoring ability range based on the past 2 years and what should be expected going forward. Maybe even Kyle Connor and Chris Kreider too.

Matthews

Draisaitl

OV/McDavid/Kaprizov
Kreider/Connor

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Brett Hull scored 37 goals at age 38 in the middle of the DPE so even at his age, no reason Ovy can't do 50.

Oh I think that is certainly in the realm of possibility. I just think that the most likely outcome is a bit lower.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad