Speculation: How long will Detroit be able to hold on to Blashill?

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I think most of us as looked at Blashill as the next coach of the wings after Babcock is done here in a few years...

We also saw just recently how hot of a commodity Dallas Eakins was after a few succesful years as the coach of the Marlies. Blashill looks to be en route to a Calder cup championship and has already been an assistant coach in the NHL with the wings for a year.

How long can the wings keep him down there before other teams' starts requesting permission to speak to him about a NHL head coaching job?

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I feel like the Stars are going to make a push to get back in the playoffs (hence, the Gonchar move) so perhaps Blashill isn't as good an option for them. Nill will probably talk to him but you'd expect them to go with an established guy. Edmonton taking Eakins doesn't change the landscape of the experienced coaches available...I'd imagine the status of Tippett (and probably Bylsma) may dictate what direction Dallas, Vancouver and the Rangers go.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I just hope it's at least one more year

Wings need a good coach in Grand Rapids with the massive amount of talent arriving there next year

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Blashill has taken a similar course to Babcock where he's won at just about every place he's coached. It would be a big blow to lose him but I think that someone like Dallas will take him

crashman

I think Lindy Ruff is going to be the next coach for the Stars. He was part of the Team Canada staff along with Yzerman, Holland and Babcock. I can't remember if Nill was also, but I'm sure Nill is familiar with him.

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
Just to think that some Wings fans saw Blashill going to Grand Rapids as a demotion. He was a major piece that took the Griffins and turned them around. Keep in mind this team hadn't made the postseason in 3 seasons. Kurt Frasier, IMHO, was the main reason why. We had talent in Grand Rapids but nothing ever game of it.

As for how we are going to retain him, I wouldn't worry about it. I think he will be brought back up as an assistant to Babcock and then groomed to take over when Babcock leaves. Right now, I have a feeling that Blashill likes coaching in the AHL. Look at the results on the ice.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Nill is clearly waiting to talk to him. He has interviewed all his other guys except him. Speaks volumes to how seriously he will consider that interview, it's not a token interview. So I get the feeling we will hold onto Blashill for about another week and change.

Keep in mind there are still a couple other empty coaching gigs as well.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
He's done well, no question, but he's not had a full year yet at the AHL level. And, he wasn't all that impressive as an assistant at the big level last year.

Underripe :)

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Just to think that some Wings fans saw Blashill going to Grand Rapids as a demotion. He was a major piece that took the Griffins and turned them around. Keep in mind this team hadn't made the postseason in 3 seasons. Kurt Frasier, IMHO, was the main reason why. We had talent in Grand Rapids but nothing ever game of it.

As for how we are going to retain him, I wouldn't worry about it. I think he will be brought back up as an assistant to Babcock and then groomed to take over when Babcock leaves. Right now, I have a feeling that Blashill likes coaching in the AHL. Look at the results on the ice.

What makes hiring your own AHL coach attractive is if those young players succeeded under him and it takes less time to adjust when being in the same organization. Imagine the time it would take for Blashill to adjust to being the Wings coach compared to Eakins in Edmonton with adjusting to players he's not coached before and being in a new organization...especially one that just had a (semi-)regime change.

I think this basic statement is true...good coaches can coach anywhere. Would Blashill be good in another organization? Don't know...seems like he'd be the best fit here from what we've seen. I don't know who the "coach in waiting" is but if he's the one, then you hang onto him as long as you can...just don't know how many more years Babcock has left. If Babs is going to be around for a while, I wouldn't waste Blashill's time and he's going to leave when the chance is there for him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It would be pretty ideal that Blashill "touches" these kids first 3 years in AHL and then promotes up for 2015-16 season.

It could be like he's having at team with Tatar, Andersson, Nyquist, Smith, DeKeyser, Jurco, Sheahan, Frk, Tvrdon, Callahan, Ferraro, Sproul, Almquist, Ouellet, Jensen, Marchenko, Glendening, Mrazek.... and so on.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I don't think Kurt would have gotten this out of this particular team as Blashill is a better coach. But he didn't have much to work with in terms of goaltending. The only time they played well was with MacDonald or Conklin. So he had a different set of cards dealt to him. Glad he isn't the coach anymore though.

HTT3*

My guess is he is heading off to Dallas in a few weeks. Sucks everyone cherry picks staff and management from Detroit, but DRWs are the class of the league, everyone wants a part of our success.

As for Babcock's contract ending in 2015, I'm sure he'll re-up it. He will retire his NHL coaching career as a Detroit Red Wing

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
As for Babcock's contract ending in 2015, I'm sure he'll re-up it. He will retire his NHL coaching career as a Detroit Red Wing

I wouldn't be too sure of that. Babcock has said on numerous occasions that a coach shouldn't stay in one place too long. I'm willing to bet that he's gone after this contract.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
My guess is he is heading off to Dallas in a few weeks. Sucks everyone cherry picks staff and management from Detroit, but DRWs are the class of the league, everyone wants a part of our success.

I don't blame Nill at all for looking at Blashill. Happens all the time in every league when guys get new coaching or front office gigs in new organizations- they usually bring along other coaches or front office types that they are familiar with.

I'm not positive that Babcock will extend his deal, but I do think it's pretty likely. Actually, he has 2 more seasons to evaluate the state of the Wings. I think if Pavel signs an extension after next season, young guys like Nyquist and DD excel in important roles and they pick up some impact FA's or trade acquisitions, he probably stays. If Pavel leaves after next year, some of the young guys don't pan out as hoped/expected and KH doesn't bring in the kinds of players Babs wants, then he probably goes.

And if I'm Blashill, even though coaching the Wings and taking over a team full of guys he's already coached would be ideal, he has to take the Stars gig if offered. No guarantees that Babs doesn't extend his deal, and if that happens, Blashill may be waiting a LONG time for the coaching spot with the Wings to open up. Better for him to get the NHL head coaching experience as soon as he can.

7r4n

Catsyuk has Dangles
Apr 19, 2012
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Babcock has said on numerous occasions that a coach shouldn't stay in one place too long. I'm willing to bet that he's gone after this contract.

Started in Detroit in 2005. Signed a 3 year extension in 2008. Signed a 4 year extension in 2015. Gonna take him to 10 years. Other than Trotz he's the highest active tenured coach. I think he's stayed in one place too long :laugh:

Don't get me wrong though I love it haha

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad