How Long Until Number 11 is Retired?

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I hope it is the first home game of the season against Detroit.

Also, on a related note, I hope the banner design is based off the original white. I think that design would be the best for Alfredsson because he wore that jersey longest, and his biggest moment was in that jersey.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Fitting that it would be against Detroit, I'd assume the team/city will want to have a couple days of honoring Alfie leading up to the he night we raise #11.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I don't want the number retired so it is removed from circulation. The player is honoured, that's enough.

Keep the number alive.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I don't want the number retired so it is removed from circulation. The player is honoured, that's enough.

Keep the number alive.

AYch4Io.gif

No player on Ottawa will dare wear #11, even if it is still "in circulation". It's one of the biggest taboos a Sens player can do.

I think it will get retired within the next 3 years, but I would be fine if it happened next year or within up to 5 years.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
That is very disturbing.

I'm referring to both that GIF, and the thought of some plug wearing #11.

Anyway, I could see it happen next year since it will be Murray's last at the GM position, and after Melnyk's health scare he might be more inclined to have a feeling of 'let's get this done'.

Part of things depend on what Alfie's doing next year. If he no longer lives in Detroit, then it probably doesn't matter that it's done against them. They might ask him if there are any ex-teammates that he'd like to have there and set it accordingly.

Or, if you're cynical, a Tuesday night game in November against Florida or Columbus that they'd never sell out in a million years.

KA BLAMO

Aug 18, 2008

Keep the number alive.

For guys like Phillips and Neil, I agree.

But Alfie's number should be retired.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
it should be retired within the next couple of years. Alfie is the most significant player this franchise has ever had. Karlsson would be considered second but lets see how the rest of his career plays out first

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I can see them doing it in the home opener next season. Its only a matter of time really

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Do it this season. Like others have said, it is Murray's last year, and retiring the first number would be a huge milestone for the franchise, so it'd be nice for him to be a part of it considering he has been the coach/GM for almost a decade.

Why wait?

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
To anyone still caught up on Alfie leaving, move on. He will always be an Ottawa Senator.

Except for the one year he wasn't.

I don't really care, his number will be retired and deservedly so, but people will always remember that summer.

I stared in disbelief at the TV for a solid hour, telling myself it wasn't true. I've moved on, but it stings a little every time I think of that day.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Except for the one year he wasn't.

I don't really care, his number will be retired and deservedly so, but people will always remember that summer.

I stared in disbelief at the TV for a solid hour, telling myself it wasn't true. I've moved on, but it stings a little every time I think of that day.

Well I hardly remember that summer as when I think of Alfie, I think of his great contributions as an Ottawa Senator, not one season as a Red Wing.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Well I hardly remember that summer as when I think of Alfie, I think of his great contributions as an Ottawa Senator, not one season as a Red Wing.

Maybe it's circumstance too,

It was such a shock when I heard it, I was at Big Rig restaurant and the entire place literally went eerily silent when they announced it on the TV. It was like a funeral in there, hard to forget really.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Why can't we have a good memory and remember both?

When I think of him, I see both. I see the years he had with the sens. I remember his big moments. I remember how much he helped the team. I will always be proud of him for that.

I also think of how he left to go to our divisional rival. I remember how much that hurt the fans. I will always be dissapointed in him for that.

Why can't we focus on the overall instead of only 1 side of it?

One side of the camp is forgetting the positive.

One side of the camp is forgetting the negative.

I get it, why think about the negatives when we can think of the positives? I feel we need to remember all the good and the bad. We need to remember the good(the invention of internet for example...and the bad...Hitler...to learn from it) exaggerations I know, but my point stands.

Alfie isn't only the all time senator you think he was. He's also not only the guy who left the team. He's a bit of both.

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I hope it is the first home game of the season against Detroit.

I can see them doing it in the home opener next season. Its only a matter of time really

They won't do it opening night for a very simple reason... Marketing.

Opening nights get enough of a hype and a draw that it would be a waste of potential ticket sales to double up. They'll schedule it for a November or December game that they're not expecting to have a huge attendance number for and BAM instant sell out.

I still don't think it'll be this year... maybe not even the year after. I could see them waiting until he's eligible for the HHOF.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I think my favourite Alfie memory was when he destroyed that poor stick on the bench beside Greening when we lost to the Rangers. That is such a Senator type of thing, player or fan, just totally frustrated by it all. Wanting to win, doing all you can, but it just isn't happening. Even if he sometimes came across as a little cold, that stoic Scandinavian that told it like it was, you know he cared about winning and losing a lot more than most, maybe a lot more than any Sen. So for him to go off like that... it was real. Also Greening almost crapped his pants when Alfie did it - there was some fear there. A great moment in Senators history.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
but still

2vuj4g7.jpg

Well if you're going to just use a stat line and remove context from the argument, then I can post this:

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-03%20at%205.57.22%20PM.png

Bourque's number was immediately retired following his own retirement.

Obviously the two situations were very different, but the stat line looks the same.

That Alfredsson bum also abandoned Ottawa for some random team named "Frolunda" in 2004...

Man that would be ****ing epic, too bad NHL teams have no sense of humour.

I don't think any pro sports team worth their salt would troll that badly.. but could you imagine.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
AYch4Io.gif

No player on Ottawa will dare wear #11, even if it is still "in circulation". It's one of the biggest taboos a Sens player can do.

I think it will get retired within the next 3 years, but I would be fine if it happened next year or within up to 5 years.

That gif is going to give me nightmares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad