How 'light' is this stick?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I understand ball hockey is such a niche market, but my research has lead nowhere. (even with a thread on this topic on ModSquad.)

I've mentioned around here that our ball hockey supplier has a small partnership with Knapper. We are able to get goods and older models of equipment cheaply. The only thing I can't figure out is their stick weights. I want to buy the AK Kevlar stick, but it weighs 390g. Isn't that a bit heavy on weight?

They also have two other models, but they weigh even more. Looking at getting a stick that is light, and also durable.

Captain Charisma

Jan 18, 2019
I understand ball hockey is such a niche market, but my research has lead nowhere. (even with a thread on this topic on ModSquad.)

I've mentioned around here that our ball hockey supplier has a small partnership with Knapper. We are able to get goods and older models of equipment cheaply. The only thing I can't figure out is their stick weights. I want to buy the AK Kevlar stick, but it weighs 390g. Isn't that a bit heavy on weight?

They also have two other models, but they weigh even more. Looking at getting a stick that is light, and also durable.

You can take a look at www.icewarehouse.com to get some stick weights on current gen ice hockey sticks. In general anything sub-400g I would consider as light.

Lightest stick on the site looksl ike the bauer Ag5nt at 335 g.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The top end CCM sticks from a 4-5 years ago (for example the Trigger 2) were in the 420 gram range.

My Jetspeed FT2 is about 415 grams.

Now your top end price points are under 400 grams, and your 2nd price point are in that 410-425 range.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's quite light. For ball hockey I think anything in the mid 400s would be perfectly fine as well.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
390 is light enough. For ball hockey, maybe too light. You probably won't get the puck feel benefits from it as if you were playing on Ice or sports court with a puck. You're probably not really OCD about your equipment to begin with, seeing as you're using knapper. I can't imagine you're going to really find 390 noticeably heavier than another stick you may have used that was lighter.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
That's light, but stick weight and flex is all preference.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

No, that’s light,

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I've always found a medium weight rugged stick as the best for ball hockey. Too light f***s with the ball

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
$200 for a ball hockey stick? lol F^&* that.

Gimme one of these on an old wooden stick and a stove burner to put the curve on it.

s-l1600.jpg

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I've always found a medium weight rugged stick as the best for ball hockey. Too light f***s with the ball

Really? In what way?

$200 for a ball hockey stick? lol F^&* that.

Gimme one of these on an old wooden stick and a stove burner to put the curve on it.

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah, I have one of those for home use, but I would never bring that out in an actual game. A teammate brought one out for a rec pick up game and was chirped all throughout.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Really? In what way?

Yeah, I have one of those for home use, but I would never bring that out in an actual game. A teammate brought one out for a rec pick up game and was chirped all throughout.
It's very strange but I need a little weight to bend the ball --- unlike a puck I'm able to bend shots into the net. It's sort of difficult for me to explain. I played thousands of hours of ball hockey and hundreds of hours of puck as a kid, so I learned to change my motion with my old wooden then plexiglass ish sticks to bend the ball towards the net. I've probably scored 200 ball hockey goals outside the left circle with my slapshot bending up to the far post.....

If my stick is too light (IE my ice hockey sticks), I flub the ball or sail it super high. I need that little hitch in my motion that would make shooting an ice hockey puck ugly. On a related note, I used to be able to bend roller pucks (especially the lighter ones, into the net. But an ice hockey puck is too heavy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad