How is the Atlantic Division trending?

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
How do you feel our division is trending? Ottawa seems to be stuck in a perma-rebuild. Buffalo should surge at some point. And sooner or later TB and Boston have to take a step back, right?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I think we are trending toward the top. Boston and TB have to step back eventually; Tranna is going to make changes if they lose Saturday, and Buffalo has to step forward eventually.

It’s going to be us, Buffalo and Florida eventually because who knows what the f*** Ottawa and Montreal are doing. I really see Toronto trending down if they lose this series. They’ll break things up and probably f*** it up bigly.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
1) Florida: I don't see them going anywhere for a while. They are too good, built to last etc. They have a LOT of free agents this summer though so the team could look drastically different. It will be interesting to see what they do with Reinhart. He's going to get paid but this team also is built on high end talent and depth. They'll lose some depth with Reinhart getting a payday assuming they sign him
2) Boston: I don't think this team tanks but I don't see them as unbeatable. They win on good goaltending and defense. They probably need to bolster their offense in the summer. Particularly at Center. I could see them as a wildcard next year. They will probably move on from Ullmark next year which he will be replaced with a less competent goaltender to backup Swayman.
3) Toronto: This team NEEDS to change. Otherwise they will be perpetually a regular season juggernaut. It will be interesting to see what happens with Marner
4) Tampa Bay: With Kucherov doing what he's doing and having a "healthy" Sergachev and Vasi at the start of the year this team is not going anywhere. It's going to be interesting to see what is done with Stamkos. I think he re-signs at a slight discount...like 6x4 or something of that nature. They feast on the powerplay, they have too many pieces to write them off
5) Detroit: this will be a huge summer for the team. My priorities:
  • Re-sign Raymond and Seider WITH TERM.
  • Re-sign Kane....then decide on Perron
  • Investigate a trade for Markstrom, Gibson, or Ullmark.
  • Find a way to jettison bad contracts...specifically Holl and Husso
  • Inject youth to fill out roster spots. Depending on who signs and is traded. Edvinsson, Johansson, and Berggren (if he's still here) should all be on the roster. After that one/two of Kasper/Danielson/Mazur/Soderblom <---we need these guys to hit!
6) Buffalo: if they get some accountability and goaltending built into their system I think they are a scary team
7) Ottawa: Same as above...I don't think they are in a perma-rebuild at all. They NEED goaltending. They have too many pieces to be as bad as they are
8) Montreal: A step below the middle tier but they continue to add pieces. Breakout year from Slavkovsky (sp?) was huge.

I think for next year 1-2 of Detroit, Buffalo, Ottawa finally makes the leap into a playoff spot. Whether or not they supplant the metro wildcard or one of the top dogs in the atlantic drops remains to be seen. This summer is going to be really interesting. We have a ton of question marks. I think it's logical to think we might take a step back if we inject a bunch of youth into the lineup and they aren't lights out and the season is still a success. Some things that could surprise and make us more competitive:

1) Edvinsson is "him" plays like 1-2 for the entire season. His breakout passing, use of his legs, and patience will be a blessing for this team. Additionally being able to deploy him in matchups that Seider was pinned to will save Mo for some offense
2) Goaltending is fixed with a trade. Going 1a, 1b with someone and Lyon will help out confidence.
3) Kids hit. Berggren comes in and is like a .5ppg player from the bottom six. One of Danielson/Kasper/Mazur comes up and looks like they belong and can be effective up and down the lineup
4) Johansson takes a spot...I think having Edvinsson and hopefully Johansson will help us from getting pinned in our zone all game and resorting to icing and flipping it out of our zone because these two can move the puck with their feet and also stretch passing.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Boston will remain good, if not get better, the only significant peice they're set to lose real soon is Marchand, who, imo, can be replaced with some UFA signing/trade. They've got young fellas like Connor Geekie coming on who's 26, and Pastrnak is still only 28.

Toronto I expect changes if they lose this series but idk about the bottom falling out and rebuilding, they'll still be really good.

TB is better spot than people suggest. I know their cap is extremely tight, they might even deal Hedman this offseason on top of losing Stamkos just to create space, etc, but they've got some prospects on the rise. Good ones, with a good young core still signed.

Mikhail Shalagin, Winger (Belarus)
Ethan Gauthier, C ( QMJHL)
Dylan Duke, C (MICHIGAN/NCAA)
Eamon Powell, D (BOSTONCOLLEGE/NCAA)

AMONG others.

Going to be an extremely good conference for about 2-3 more years. All the good teams now aren't bottoming out anytime soon.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Zero concern. Not because of a lack of talent, but because I think the picture looks very different in another 2-3 years, when Detroit starts being ready to do more than just make the playoffs and receive a participation trophy with their first round exit. Seeing guys like Seider and Edvinsson really hit their stride will make a TON of difference in neutralizing (or at least limiting) playoff opponents.

I'm most curious about what New Jersey does to shape their roster between now and, say, the spring of 2027. They have a ton of good pieces, but can they solve their goaltending and keep improving to truly contend?

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
It's trending sideways.

Boston and Tampa are going to remain great.
Toronto will remain a team that should be way better than they are come playoff time.
Buffalo and Ottawa will remain jokes that you expect to be good but won't take the next step.
Montreal will lump in the middle somewhere.

I need to see anything different from how these teams are operating to think anything will change.

I have literally zero respect for Buffalo or Ottawa and will not until they make the playoffs. I don't value Buffalo's rebuild at all. They've gotten every handout possible and even got a successful return for Eichel in screwing that up.

And Ottawa? Ottawa is already ramming headlong into the cap crunch of acquiring young players and already have the Stutzles, Sandersons, and Tkachucks providing value just a bit above their long term deals.

Reactions: jkutswings

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Looking at Boston's lineup, I'm struggling to see how they remain a top team for long without some new high-end additions. Marchand is pushing up in age, and outside of Pastrnak, Swayman, and McAvoy, all their other young players seem like secondary pieces. I guess they play a good system for them to still be this good.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Tampa has the potential to have the bottom fall out on them. Gotta see what happens in the offseason.

I am not buying what Snuggs is selling on the Tampa prospect pool, outside of Issac Howard, they don't have much that is ready to significantly contribute soon.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think we are trending toward the top. Boston and TB have to step back eventually; Tranna is going to make changes if they lose Saturday, and Buffalo has to step forward eventually.

It’s going to be us, Buffalo and Florida eventually because who knows what the f*** Ottawa and Montreal are doing. I really see Toronto trending down if they lose this series. They’ll break things up and probably f*** it up bigly.
There is no way this team is trending to the top. They’re a one line team currently and pretty threadbare in elite talent. They’ll likely be a wildcard team for a few seasons till Larkin declines.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Looking at Boston's lineup, I'm struggling to see how they remain a top team for long without some new high-end additions. Marchand is pushing up in age, and outside of Pastrnak, Swayman, and McAvoy, all their other young players seem like secondary pieces. I guess they play a good system for them to still be this good.
Not only that, but if they lose tomorrow they might end up firing Montgomery after two 3-1 series collapses in consecutive years. Would another coach have as much success as him, or less?

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
We're nowhere near overtaking the top four teams. Those teams all know how to win in the regular season. We're still trying to break into the playoffs.

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
Easy to look at the top teams and think they'll be there for a while, but anything can happen fellas. The team'll get their chance.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
We're nowhere near overtaking the top four teams. Those teams all know how to win in the regular season. We're still trying to break into the playoffs.

It's true that these other teams have experience on how to win in the regular season, but some of our young top players have already been gaining that experience for the past few seasons. So saying we're nowhere near is a stretch. If our young core guys start reaching the potential everyone expected from them, I think we would be in the mix of the top-3 teams in this division.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
There is no way this team is trending to the top. They’re a one line team currently and pretty threadbare in elite talent. They’ll likely be a wildcard team for a few seasons till Larkin declines.
You do one thing exceptionally well.

I just wish that one thing was more conducive to actual dialogue and discussion.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
For the 3rd straight year I'm going to say Boston is going to take a step back after this postseason, and I'm sure I'll be wrong again.

People here were arguing with me last summer about how much Boston will suck, lol. The best player they're gonna lose this summer is DeBrusk. Looks to me like they've got couple more years. Even then Swayman will be able to keep them in games.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You do one thing exceptionally well.

I just wish that one thing was more conducive to actual dialogue and discussion.
I mean am I wrong? Detroit needs more elite talent and unfortunately on the forward end of it there’s no one I can see being elite. I see Danielson becoming a Larkin replacement in about 5 seasons, which is when Larkin will be declining. Kasper is probably going to have Compher like production. Mazur is Matt Cooke. And there are lot of forwards in the farm system I don’t see making the show. I think Ed will be really good in a few years and ASP could be a second pairing top pp dman. But I think Detroit doesn’t have the high end talent to break into the top of the division. This is the problem with having Draper as the head of scouting. He likes good character high floor players but where Detroit has drafted those forwards are also low ceiling.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I mean am I wrong?
I do think you're wrong, but not for the reason you might suspect.

Detroit needs more elite talent and unfortunately on the forward end of it there’s no one I can see being elite. I see Danielson becoming a Larkin replacement in about 5 seasons, which is when Larkin will be declining. Kasper is probably going to have Compher like production. Mazur is Matt Cooke. And there are lot of forwards in the farm system I don’t see making the show. I think Ed will be really good in a few years and ASP could be a second pairing top pp dman. But I think Detroit doesn’t have the high end talent to break into the top of the division. This is the problem with having Draper as the head of scouting. He likes good character high floor players but where Detroit has drafted those forwards are also low ceiling.
I don't think Detroit needs ANY elite talent...at forward. Because I don't think that's what Yzerman is trying to build. I think he's trying to build an elite combination of defense and goaltending, supported by decent but unspectacular forwards that have enough scoring to stick around while simultaneously being a royal pain to play against.

So when they truly want to contend, I think the Wings will have an above average offense, a great defense, and one (if not two) great goalies.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
From what I remember, character was one of the big positives to Brayden Point when TB selected him. I am also pretty sure that character played a big role in Yzerman liking Raymond, Seider, Ed, Danielson, etc. and I don't have an issue with how the 1st round picks are playing or trending. Outside of 1OA and sometimes 2OA gimme picks, I think the amount of luck involved in picking these guys is under appreciated. And picking guys with good character makeups is probably one of the better ways of getting guys who stand a better chance of exceeding expectations.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
People here were arguing with me last summer about how much Boston will suck, lol. The best player they're gonna lose this summer is DeBrusk. Looks to me like they've got couple more years. Even then Swayman will be able to keep them in games.
I may have been one of those dudes. I just couldn't fathom them doing anything after losing their top two centers (the bias of being a Wings fan and losing D and Z in a span of a few seasons).

But their drafting has been spectacular. Pasta at 25OA, Mcavoy at 14, Swayman at 111. Franchise cornerstones outside the top 10, bringing them from the old guard to the new.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
From what I remember, character was one of the big positives to Brayden Point when TB selected him. I am also pretty sure that character played a big role in Yzerman liking Raymond, Seider, Ed, Danielson, etc. and I don't have an issue with how the 1st round picks are playing or trending. Outside of 1OA and sometimes 2OA gimme picks, I think the amount of luck involved in picking these guys is under appreciated. And picking guys with good character makeups is probably one of the better ways of getting guys who stand a better chance of exceeding expectations.

i'm old enough to remember Tyler Wright mentioning character about 50 times in 5 sentences when describing why he wanted Rasmussen

Reactions: rangersblues

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Boston - C+ Overall
• They are lacking heavily down the middle and Coyle is 32 now. McAvoy at D will be on an island with Pastrnak up front and Swayman in net. I feel Boston will continue to hang around the playoff bubble I think but won't be a contender for hardly much longer.

Toronto - B-/B Overall
• I don't say this to be petty or mean, but they're a circus until first and foremost we see this team with an appropriate coach and a front office that doesn't have an agenda to "save themselves" (Shanahan is a shill).
• Not to mention the looming contract charade with Marner and Tavares. There goes half of your "Core-Four" (mind you, the lesser two of the four). They still lack a reliable goalie and a minute-munching #1D for the playoffs.
• Team is mentally weak and will continue to get eaten alive by the Bostons and Floridas of the league if something doesn't change.

Florida - A Overall (A+ if you win the cup)
• These guys are built tough for a while, likely aren't going anywhere even with some cap work to do in the coming years. I wonder about Ekblad's longevity seeing as he turned 28. As well as Forsling who's been amazing, but I'm not sure if he's going to sustain his level of play consistently year to year like this. As long as Maurice is around I guess? Bobrovsky is a fitness freak and playing like Rinne did as he hit his mid-30's.
• clutch playoff studs like Verhaeghe and Reinhart and also Bennett who torch your team when you just spent half the game fending off Barkov and Tkachuk is a boat load for D and G to handle come playoff time. Team forechecks like no tomorrow and that's how you win playoff hockey.

Tampa Bay - B+ Overall
• How can you deny Kucherov, Point, and Vasilavskiy? Sergachev maybe takes a leap forward? Hedman is slowing down and will be 34 during the earlier point of next season.
• Team has some tough decisions regarding their captain and cap space. I'm not sure about Brisebois at this point (he's done well no doubt).
• They have no good prospects understandably but they're entering a big transition period.

Ottawa - C Overall
• Great core pieces all-around except maybe at goalie (stop trading them all away). Stuck in a front office shit show and really can't seem to find a plan to stick to. This will be their kryptonite until they decide to move some good but stagnant pieces (Batherson, Chabot) for a change of scenery. Their revolving bottom 6 is very weak and the bottom pair is not reliable.

Buffalo - C Overall
• Same as Ottawa. Poor ownership has yo-yo'd this franchise as the Pegulas don't care as much here compared to their NFL team (revenue). Once they find a stable front office and good leader of a coach, this team can take off (imagine if Ruff is the answer lol).

Montreal - B/B+ Overall
• Kent Hughes has been a god send and magician for this franchise and now they seem to be on track from what was a joke of a rebuild/retool/pretender phase for the last while. MSL seems to be a great role model as a coach.
• Got some excellent pieces like Suzuki at C, Slafkovsky is taking off at nearly mach speed, Caufield is a great supporting goal scorer, and Newhook is taking more steps forward. Hopefully Dach gets back on track and healthy.
• Good prospects like Reinbacher and Fowler and they will land another massive piece in June.
• I think this franchise is kind of in the same phase as Detroit, both just took wildly different routes to get there

Detroit - B+ Overall
• Franchise has committed to rebuilding and not monkey wrenching like some other division foes. Front office appears to be not toxic nor meddling. Management seems to communicate well.
• NHL roster has some of the best pieces we've seen since 2016. Big offseason coming up roster/contract-wise to determine how this team hits the ground running in October. Some not great contracts of course but nothing crippling.
• Kids are starting to look NHL ready and integrated slowly onto the Red Wings. Edvinsson, and now hopefully AlJo and Danielson. Maybe surprises from Kasper and Mazur.
• Top 3 prospect pool in their entire NHL and missed the playoffs by 0 points. Two stud goalie prospects. Will add hopefully another overlooked stud in June.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad