• Fairly

Votes: 57 44.2%
  • Underrated

Votes: 12 9.3%

• Total voters

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Paid like a top 10 player in the league.

In reality he is outside the top 20 most valuable and possibly top 30.

McDavid
Drai
Matthews
Nylander
MacKinnon
Makar
Rantanen
Kuch
Point
Hedman
Vasilevski
Panarin
Shesty
Petterson
Marchand
Pastrnak
Crosby
Kaprizov
Ovechkin
M Tkachuk
Q Hughes
J Hughes
Helle

Off the top of my head, are all players I would rather have on my team than Marner and in my opinion more valuable. Purposefully stayed away from my Habs to avoid flaming.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Depends who your talking about. Overrated by most leaf fans, underrated by bitter leaf fans, some have never forgiven him for shooting the puck over the glass in the Habs series. Underrated by Leaf haters, overrated by Kyle Dubas, fairly rated by most hockey media and people who work in the sport. His rating are all over the map.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
They both got one goal.. Last year against the Panthers Matthews had zero goals. So, one goal in the last nine playoff games. Even Marner can beat that.
Marner averages around 13-14 goals per 82. Pathetic. The bigger the game the less he shows up. Last night was the first good game I’ve seen from him in a long time. And even there he didn’t want to shoot the puck.

The Leafs in general have a poor mix. Put a power forward with Matthews and he’ll be fine. I’d take Matthews anytime.

Marner has a self entitled spoiled attitude. He can’t handle adversity at all and regularly chokes in big games not only by not scoring but by contributing to opposing goals with bad plays and penalties. I wouldn’t take him and his contract for free. I’d rather the cap space to get something else.

Reactions: waitin425

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Where’s the overpaid option?

This is a big part of the problem.

The large contract turns into a big cross-hair when the games really matter.

As a finesse winger, he’ll be better suited against particular opponents, but he should always be adding value on the special teams which have been a problem this season.

He’s better defensively than Phil Kessel but their optimum utilization may be similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad