Speculation: How is Jiri Hudler still available?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Most years in free agency there will be a number of quality free agents who wait a few days to a week to sign. This year however pretty much everyone signed on day one of free agency and unless you consider Radim Vrbata and Kris Versteeg top 6 forwards (I don't) there are no legit top 6 forwards left, other than Jiri Hudler.

In Hudler you have a guy who is 32 years old and has produced the following over the last 5 years:

15-16
16 goals / 30 assists / 46 points

14-15
31 goals / 45 assists / 76 points

13-14
17 goals / 37 assists / 54 points

12-13
*42 games*
10 goals / 17 assists / 27 points

11-12
25 goals / 25 assists / 50 points

We are talking about a guy who averages around 20 goals / 30 assists / 50 points over the last 5 years. I just don't understand it. He must have simply been asking for way too much money and got left out in the dark. Chances are someone is going to get a bargain and one of the most economical and solid signings of this off season.

ChaseANA

Apr 12, 2015
Good question. I am really hoping Anaheim gives him a 2/3 year deal. He might be asking for too much.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Most likely term.. Jiri wants stability. He's a good player but a great person, I can't see him liking the idea of bouncing around too much. Probably wants a 3 years 4.5m contract and not many teams will line up for that. If he wanted one year he would of already been signed

Reactions: Kitten Mittens

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
He wasn't very good last year, especially when he went to Florida. Was pretty much invisible in any Panthers game I watched.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
He's likely asking for a lot of money / term.

His past production isn't really debatable, he's a good player. Just his age combined with his asking price / term are likely cause for delay....

Evergreen

I think he wants 5+ years, which is long for a 32-year-old. I'd take him on the Flyers, but only for 4 years. I think he will sign in Anaheim once the Ducks free up some money (maybe trade Fowler).

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
I'd love to have him on the SENS lineup but Melnik is now TOO CHEAP to sign what we need the most on our line up

I think he wants 5+ years, which is long for a 32-year-old. I'd take him on the Flyers, but only for 4 years. I think he will sign in Anaheim once the Ducks free up some money (maybe trade Fowler).
Yup 3-4 years would be the right length for him

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Did anyone watch him play for the Panthers in the playoffs? He couldn't keep up, it was hard to watch. His playing style isn't really built for the type of hockey that is being played now, especially in the playoffs.

If you manage his ice time properly, he's still useful and will contribute on the score sheet, but he might be faced with a PTO at this point or he goes to Europe.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
to me it seems like it has to do with his age and him being somewhat inconsistent

Parenteau and Purcell are around the same age and Hudler has been more productive than both. Then again they both took cheap 1 year deals. Hudler must still be holding out for along term deal at over 2 million per year. I can't imagine an offer like that is coming his way at this stage of the game. That's why I think someone is going to get a serious bargain with him eventually.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
It may be that many teams are up near the cap now. Usually the teams who are up near the cap are the ones who are more likely to be Cup contenders. Maybe he just played the waiting game and happened to wait too long.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
He was absolutely atrocious for the Panthers.

I could see some team giving him under a million or maybe a PTO.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I think he wants term but no GM is going to give him NMC which he wants. He don't want to go to Vegas!

Thankstoo

Jun 29, 2013
This is a classic case of people getting mesmerized by statistics. He was given the opportunity to produce by playing top 6 minutes, in both Calgary & Florida, including power play time.

I watched him closely in Florida and it was really tough to watch. He's lost a half a step and he is very very soft. I suspect he's off to Europe. If he gets any term in the NHL, it will be a very regrettable signing.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
he wants more koney and term. teams are not giving him term.

If Buffalo was offering him something it would be 2 yrs max plus a contingent on them making a trade where they moved some forwards for defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad