How important is coaching in play offs?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Coaches control the mayhem on the bench. And please do not tell me there no mayhem on the bench during the game. We get this thread every couple of years asking if they actually need coaches at the bench.

Every coach I played had to make adjustments shift by shift. Either because our team was dictating the flow or adjusting to try to change the tempt.
Unrelated as this is about college football, but I remember when Mike White (then of Illinois) corralled his players after everyone was upset about some call against them. After pushing them back to the sideline, he said "It's my job to go nuts on the ref, not yours!" And then he did.:)

That said, I don't think it is black and white, but shades of gray, like perhaps an airline pilot, it is about reacting to unusual situations that come up. I still think player quality is about 80% of who wins, and about 20% boils down to coaching, unlucky bounces, or bad plays that the other team turns into goals, etc.

Reactions: Summer Rose

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I have played and I do understand. But Kimmo has also played and I am sure understands also. Why would he say that if it was not true in that case? And he did not leave too much to speculate about. He was very clear. So I am just interested to see how others see It.

I thought about this also. But then again people are so easy to say that 'coach didn't react inside the game' and so on. Didn't Chicago need to chance anything or were the players and system so good that they were able to do It without?
Probably doesn't hurt that Chicago had such a good all around team with very good leadership. They all knew that if they stuck to a game plan they'd be okay.

Where coaching has the most impact is when you're original game plan isn't working and you have to adapt and adjust your game plan.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Very important.

Source: It's the 5th season of watching a Sheldon Keefe coached team show up like they didn't realize the playoffs had started.

• Haha
Reactions: Lt Dan

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Very important.

Source: It's the 5th season of watching a Sheldon Keefe coached team show up like they didn't realize the playoffs had started.
In game one, it appears Keefe or somebody came up with a game plan to check hard and often, it just didn't have the effect one would hope for. The problem with this, imo, is that such a style clashes with the systems that the Leafs played all year. You just can't switch your team's identity once the playoffs start.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Al Arbour once said that 90% of coaching is getting off the bus with the better roster.

I think a generational coaching talent can make a difference, but most coaches cancel each other out.

Reactions: Givememoneyback

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
There's a lot more to coaching then what you tell the locker room before and after the game, come on.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Our last playoff appearance was 9 years ago with Willie D, who in the 3rd period of a game we were losing played Megma and Chaput more than the Sedins. Just stubborn AF ,digging in with his rolling four lines equal and PP schemes that didnt work. His coaching was tough to stomach

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
If 'coaching' was that important, Mike Babcock would still be a powerhouse in this league. Instead we focus on 'being nice' and 'PC' instead of straight "x's and o's" and gameplan implementation. The modern NHLer wants and expects a baby sitter, not a 'coach'.

• Haha
Reactions: Dirty Dan

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
If 'coaching' was that important, Mike Babcock would still be a powerhouse in this league. Instead we focus on 'being nice' and 'PC' instead of straight "x's and o's" and gameplan implementation. The modern NHLer wants and expects a baby sitter, not a 'coach'.
Mike Babcock is a very overrated coach. I think a better coach would have got more out of that Detroit era. They had the best dman of that generation and a very well balanced roster. I don’t really know what that last portion is directed towards

Reactions: Givememoneyback

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad