How good is Easton Cowan going to be in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
For the record, I despise the Leafs, and their endless failure brings me great joy. But everything so far, from his passion to his motor to his skills to his attitude, points to this kid being tremendous. What's the likelihood he becomes a star in the NHL, will his game translate?
A star? Slight. A top 6 guy? Decent.

Great wheels, great motor/work rate, talented offensively.

Watching the OHL playoffs he really stands out...though sometimes because he is selfish on the ice.

Good draft pick by the Leafs.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Hard to say, maybe similar numbers to Nick Robertson on the leafs, both had similar numbers, after they were drafted, Nick being better at goal scoring, both had strong numbers last year of junior.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I don't see a world where he doesn't compete with Bedard and McDavid on a yearly basis for the Hart, Art Ross and Lindsay. It is fun to hate the Leafs but let's be honest with ourselves and take off our homer glasses for a second here.

Compete? I'm sick of these biased boards he is a guarantee to win those awards every single year.

....Do I need a sarcasm emoji here?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Potential ? 1st line PPG player

Where I see him realistically peaking out at, very good 2nd line winger maybe 65-75 point guy, anything above that would be gravy.

Realistically a very good 2nd liner is very high expectations haha

Did you say the same thing about Robertson?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's rare air to be both regular season and playoff MVP in any of the CHL leagues. There are plenty of very good NHL players who have hit both awards looking back over the last 25-ish years.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Potential ? 1st line PPG player

Where I see him realistically peaking out at, very good 2nd line winger maybe 65-75 point guy, anything above that would be gravy.
Isn't that more of a 1st line winger? Those point projections also seem a bit more than realistic peak. Even players who are considered "stars" settle in that 70 point range, let alone someone who you view more as a 2nd liner-type.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Probably going to be awhile before he sees top 6 minutes, because even if they move on from Marner, it's not likely they will plug him in at the 2nd C spot. So he will be getting 3rd pair C minutes with not very good wingers. His production will be pretty limited and he'll have to play harder minutes without being the "go to guy" for the first year or so. And if I remember the preseason/early season games he was getting crushed by the bigger NHL bodies which caused him to be returned to his junior team. So unless he suddenly puts on 10-15 pounds of muscle, it's going to be hard to keep from getting the kind of injury that the younger players tend to get from thinking they are ready when they physically just aren't.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Isn't that more of a 1st line winger? Those point projections also seem a bit more than realistic peak. Even players who are considered "stars" settle in that 70 point range, let alone someone who you view more as a 2nd liner-type.
I feel like in the modern NHL, 65 ish points isn't really top line production. 6-7 years ago sure, but you got multiple 100+ point guys, we had 75 players (69 forwards) that scored 65+ points this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad