How do you fix the Wings?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Given he spent his formative years watching the Wings clown his dad on a nightly basis I doubt he'd be any more content in Detroit.

That and he's got a long ways to go to be the kind of player he could. Right now he's all effort (when he feels like it) and very little brains (hard to fix). Too much Keith and not enough Shanny.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I'd like to see as few changes from this last season as possible.
- I'd try to keep Kane but not mortgage the team for him.
- Let Sprong go
- Bring up Berggren for realsies, see what he can do
- I'd like to see both Holl and Petry go
- I like Ghost but I'm not a stats guy so I doubt I understand what he really adds to or subtracts from the team overall. But that grab&keep-in alone... :)
- Maata... seems interchangeable to me.
- Reimer into the trebuchet. I know he's not as bad as I pretend he is, but by the power of Grayskull he raises my BP when he's cavorting around in or around the net.
- Husso.... I want to like the guy but... his CON stat is SO low he keeps failing his saving throws. That said, riding Husso/Lyon for a year with the option to bring up Cossa...? Could they do that?

Everything/one else can stick as-is and get better/more used to each other. Let's see how some consistency plays out, eh?

Reactions: DatsDeking

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
[Elliotte Friedman] On Martin Necas re-signing:”It just probably won’t work out there, [The Canes] aren’t going to do what Necas wants to do”. On Brett Pesce re-signing: ”Didn’t seem likely”.

Necas or Pesce (why not both?) would look good on this team. Necas is an RFA with arb. rights and Pesce is a UFA

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Reading between the lines he is probably asking to be paid based on last season rather than this season. Further, he is more winger than Center and took a step back this year.

I'm am interested in Necas but I'm not sure he's worth the arm and a leg that he/Carolina would likely demand.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Leafs are hiring Craig Berube.

Don't worry though, Detroit has Mr. "Well we may not be in the playoffs next year either, New Jersey and our division are really good, we overachieved" behind our bench.

You know, Detroit could have just kept Ken Holland and they'd be right where they are now.

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
You know, Detroit could have just kept Ken Holland and they'd be right where they are now.

200.webp

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'd love us to sign Perry

A playoff guy like that? Even w/o the pts he provides intangibles that come April are desperately needed..

1 year @ 1m

giphy-1.gif
'

I don't think the Wings need intangibles like being a rat and spotpicker, diving, behaving so inappropriately at work functions you get canned.

Let Kenny take that rat with him to Columbus.

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
[Elliotte Friedman] On Martin Necas re-signing:”It just probably won’t work out there, [The Canes] aren’t going to do what Necas wants to do”. On Brett Pesce re-signing: ”Didn’t seem likely”.

Necas or Pesce (why not both?) would look good on this team. Necas is an RFA with arb. rights and Pesce is a UFA
I'd give up our 2024 first + for Necas no problem. That's exactly the type of trade I've been eyeing for the summer. Pesce would be nice for sure but that's getting tight with the cap situation and unfortunately they're probably not going to take any salary back in the Necas trade if he's leaving because of the cap crunch

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Red Wings trade RFA F Jonatan Berggren, LHD Jake Walman, and the 15th pick.

Jets trade LW/RW Nikolaj Ehlers and the Canadians 2nd round pick.

Trade idea, draft day trade. No rumors, just read reports Jets might look to move Ehlers.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
These prospects are too flawed to play in bigger roles.

Let's trade for flawed players that were allowed to play a flawed game on some other team and subsequently put up numbers but the original team wants to move because they are flawed. Oh and a ton of other assets on top of it.

Reactions: SantosHalper

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
View attachment 872565'

I don't think the Wings need intangibles like being a rat and spotpicker, diving, behaving so inappropriately at work functions you get canned.

Let Kenny take that rat with him to Columbus.
To each his own I guess....

These prospects are too flawed to play in bigger roles.

Let's trade for flawed players that were allowed to play a flawed game on some other team and subsequently put up numbers but the original team wants to move because they are flawed. Oh and a ton of other assets on top of it.
I agree

Remember though, 100% guarantee not all of our prospects are going to play for the DRW, whether it's a career or a single game...

Some are nothing more than a means to an end

Reactions: jkutswings

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Yzerman just completed his 5th full year on the job. Detroit still hasn't made the playoffs.

Time to take him off the cross and admit that he's not a special GM like we thought he was.
You thought Yzerman was a special GM?

What a shame, here on this forum we think he's been a total dud all along. Don't be fooled by our posts :allears:

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Trade idea, draft day trade. No rumors, just read reports Jets might look to move Ehlers.
Not that I would want to move Walman anyways, but there is no way I'm including Walman in that trade after seeing what defensemen bring back at the deadline. Sean Walker returned a 1st rounder at the deadline and Walman is quite a bit better.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
That's a serious overpay for a winger who has only one year on his contract and yet to score 30 goals in 9 years in the league

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Idk, a "Serious Over pay" is a bit much, and idk what world Jake Walman is better than Sean Walker or worth a 1st round pick... But Ehlers is only on 1 year, I can understand not wanting to trade for a guy on a 1 year. Wings would only be moving down like 18 spots or so in the draft, trading a guy you have to resign, and trading a defenseman who fell out of favor in the playoff push.

Walman, 1st rounder... Idk, I'd guess you were high and also, what the heck? We're all ready to be sellers next year before it even starts...? Pathetic.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
You thought Yzerman was a special GM?

What a shame, here on this forum we think he's been a total dud all along. Don't be fooled by our posts :allears:
I'll be honest, a lot of guys could have similar results with the same timeline right now. I thought he was really special. Like Baseball's version of Theo Epstein. (He's still good just not like a prodigy.)

Not saying another GM would have drafted Seider, etc, etc, but team itself might be in a similar situation. His magic touch, to me, so far is getting DeBrincat/Kane/Seider.

Everything else done so far seems like any regular GM could have done going through the motions.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad