How do you fix the Wings?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Just have the honesty and self-awareness that had Yzerman signed Trocheck to 7 years at $5.6M you'd be the leader of the "Trocheck sucks balls and someone better should have been signed instead" bandwagon.

If you think the difference between the Rangers and the Wings is the difference between Copp and Trocheck and not the rest of the rosters... I don't know what to tell you...
Nice double strawman there bud. That's not what I said at all.

Trotchek is better than Copp, which part of that don't you understand? And why would I be complaining about a 77pt center that makes $5.6M?

If you're gonna just spew strawman arguments, just argue with yourself.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Trotchek is better than Copp, which part of that don't you understand? And why would I be complaining about a 77pt center that makes $5.6M?

Because it's nothing more or less than insanity to believe that Trocheck would be a 77pt center on the Wings.

Copp had 14 goals and 18 assists in 36 games on a line with Panarin.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Because it's nothing more or less than insanity to believe that Trocheck would be a 77pt center on the Wings.
Probably not 77, but it depends on his chemistry with Cat and Kane. Plus Stevie might have signed a winger instead of Compher.

Guaranteed I wouldn't be hating him as much as Copp. I'd just hate on Holl like everyone else.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Did you even read the article? NYR knew he wasn't 2C and wanted too much money.

"the two sides talked over the weekend, but there is reluctance to back off the big contract ask from Copp’s side (seven years at around $5.5 million per) and reluctance from the Rangers’ side to commit big term and dollars to a player who may not fit in the No. 2 center spot."

$5.5M was a red flag for them and Stevie gave him $5.6M, lol. It was a bad signing. Realbaad.

The end point is that NYR made the right choice and are in the playoffs, while the Red Wings are now golfing.

Weird that you point out the $5.5 million was the red flag and not the 7 years.

Your Copp posts per 60 is off the charts though, even in the offseason.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I liked when this thread was about the Wings.

It'd be nice if someone could come up with a viable way to fix the Wings for next season. I can't come up with one, so Imma just gonna bitch about Copp, lol.

If Copp and Holl weren't tying up a combined $9M, I'd go after one of the top wingers in UFA. Chiarot, despite his flaws, at least adds some much needed physicality. Petry doesn't bother me as a slightly overpaid 6/7D for another season.

I'm thinking just ride it out next season, then go for it the season after. Fabbri, Maatta, Petry, and Husso contracts expire after next season. Copp and Holl will have to be dumped or bought out. Lots of pending UFAs next season, we'll see which ones become available.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
What would you guys offer for Shea Theodore? Hes a lefty but plays the Right side

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Theodore

nice top 4 for next year

Reactions: FMichael

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

Maybe, and I know this is a radical idea so bear with me, Trocheck wasn't interested in signing with Detroit and wanted to play in New York.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Maybe, and I know this is a radical idea so bear with me, Trocheck wasn't interested in signing with Detroit and wanted to play in New York.
That’s the fallacy I see around HF constantly: the only thing the players care about is money. They don’t take anything else into consideration. So surely if you offer the most money, they’ll sign with you. They must!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Maybe. But that's also not an excuse to sign Copp.

$9M tied up in Copp and Holl, wouldn't you rather have someone else? That $9M makes it really difficult to come up with a viable fix for next season.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
That’s the fallacy I see around HF constantly: the only thing the players care about is money. They don’t take anything else into consideration. So surely if you offer the most money, they’ll sign with you. They must!

Or the GM had a hole in the roster that player x can fill, why didn't he sign him?

Reactions: SoupNazi

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I don't understand why some people would want a long term contract to fix a short term problem.

Copp's and Compher's contracts are long enough to begin with, but yeah, let's sign a player that is a year older to a seven year deal.

I am not a fan of Copp's and Compher's contract length, but I will take those over Trocheck when I look at the Wings prospects and outlook.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Maybe. But that's also not an excuse to sign Copp.

$9M tied up in Copp and Holl, wouldn't you rather have someone else? That $9M makes it really difficult to come up with a viable fix for next season.
He signed Copp because that's exactly the type of player he wanted to sign. Need proof? He signed the exact same player the following summer to almost the same deal. If not Copp it would have been someone else just like him.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Copp vs Trocheck is nuanced.

Trochek seems like the better player now but he plays with Panarin. Copp was a point/game player when he played with Panarin.

And what about two years from now when Simon Edvinsson is up for a new contract? Would you rather have Copp at 31 with 1 more season remaining at 5.6 or 32 year old Trocheck with 3 more seasons at 5.6?

Reactions: SantosHalper

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He signed Copp because that's exactly the type of player he wanted to sign. Need proof? He signed the exact same player the following summer to almost the same deal. If not Copp it would have been someone else just like him.
We don't need a Copp, much less 2 of them. Compher couldn't do crap with Kane/Cat. Besides Copp is even worse.

I get the argument that Trochek may not have wanted to play in Detroit, but what about others like Strome? He signed with the Caps despite knowing that's a team going downhill. Would've been worth it just to troll Blackhawk fans.

Copp + Holl = $9M dumpster fire sponsored by Priority

Just because Stevie wanted Copp/Compher doesn't make it the right move. It's a really weird argument.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We don't need a Copp, much less 2 of them. Compher couldn't do crap with Kane/Cat. Besides Copp is even worse.

I get the argument that Trochek may not have wanted to play in Detroit, but what about others like Strome? He signed with the Caps despite knowing that's a team going downhill. Would've been worth it just to troll Blackhawk fans.

Copp + Holl = $9M dumpster fire sponsored by Priority

Just because Stevie wanted Copp/Compher doesn't make it the right move. It's a really weird argument.
Copp’s biggest problem post core surgery is his top end speed, never great but a step off where it was. For the record that is still two steps faster than Strome so that seems a really poor request on our team. Washington’s biggest problem was in transition a part of that is some of their slower players.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Copp’s biggest problem post core surgery is his top end speed, never great but a step off where it was. For the record that is still two steps faster than Strome so that seems a really poor request on our team. Washington’s biggest problem was in transition a part of that is some of their slower players.
Well, they have an old core.

The only attraction with Strome is to put together the old Blackhawks line of Cat/Strome/Kane. Without Kane, he's probably another Copp/Compher clone. It was tongue in cheek, more or less. Plus he's even softer than the Copp twins.

I'm glad you noticed Copp is getting slower, nobody else is acknowledging that. That contract is gonna look even worse every season.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

even if that's true that's like when Holland signed Nielsen when Stamkos wasn't interested

people here loved that one :sarcasm:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It'd be nice if someone could come up with a viable way to fix the Wings for next season. I can't come up with one, so Imma just gonna bitch about Copp, lol.

If Copp and Holl weren't tying up a combined $9M, I'd go after one of the top wingers in UFA. Chiarot, despite his flaws, at least adds some much needed physicality. Petry doesn't bother me as a slightly overpaid 6/7D for another season.

I'm thinking just ride it out next season, then go for it the season after. Fabbri, Maatta, Petry, and Husso contracts expire after next season. Copp and Holl will have to be dumped or bought out. Lots of pending UFAs next season, we'll see which ones become available.

I have a much larger issue with Petry logging 19-20 minutes a night then at least a competent defensive forward in Copp logging 16-17 a night, much larger. Copp is about 1.5 too high, and I would rather have someone else, but the defence needs to get corrected long before Copp. Lalonde seems to think Petry is still quite good, which he is not.

Reactions: norrisnick

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I have a much larger issue with Petry logging 19-20 minutes a night then at least a competent defensive forward in Copp logging 16-17 a night, much larger. Copp is about 1.5 too high, and I would rather have someone else, but the defence needs to get corrected long before Copp. Lalonde seems to think Petry is still quite good, which he is not.

Petry's cap hit is 3rd pair D, he needs sheltered minutes as 3rd pair D. I think the major problem this season was that Ghost also needed sheltered minutes. Replacing Ghost with a RHD that can actually play defense would be an improvement. That and Holl sucked even worse.

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
I've been playing around on cap friendly trying to make space to land a legit offense creator in the top 6 (whether it's re-signing Kane or another UFA). Starting to wonder about if it's worth making cap space to land a top 4 defenseman and a goalie upgrade instead. We don't have the cap or roster space to bring in upgrades at all three positions, so I think I'd rather rotate Berggren/Danielson/Mazur/Kasper through on the second line with the odds that one should be a fit.

I'm not excited about any of the goalie trades out there though. Sounds like Markstrom will take a first - which we shouldn't be giving up for a goalie his age right now - and Gibson might be worth it only if his value has dipped. Otherwise look for someone on a cheaper contract to make a true tandem with Lyon. Ingram/Vejmelka?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad