How do you fix the Wings?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
f*** me, how didn't we win the Hughes and Laf lotteries?

We did, but we didn't.

Someone stated that Detroit was very interested in Stutzle who went 3rd overall in 2020 (though I'm not sure how reputable that source is). Is he an upgrade on Raymond? Last season I would have said yes. Right now? If Raymond can play like he did in the 2nd half of the season for a whole year then very clearly Raymond is ahead of Stutzle.

Hughes over Seider is a tough one because then the defense is looking completely barren on the right side, and this team would have probably forced Ed into the lineup way sooner than he was ready. The team would have more offense but who transitions the puck for them? Who takes the tough defensive matchups?

It's a bit crazy, but Detroit made the absolute best out of the bad situations they were in. The 2nd best player in the 2019 draft and the 2nd best player in the 2020 draft, and both could arguably become the best in their respective years.

The two drafts that bite us in the ass in hindsight are the 2017 and 2018 drafts. 2017 produced Rasmussen who is a 3rd/4th liner when the next 7 forwards off the board are contributing at a 2nd line rate when healthy, AND missing out on Jason Robertson in the 2nd for the safe and steady pick in Gustav Lindstrom. In 2018 Detroit picked Zadina while missing out on Hughes, Dobson and Bouchard in an absolute stinker of a draft class.

Last edited:

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
If I were Stevie Y, here's what I would do

1. Buyout Petry (absolutely necessary)
2. Dump Holl + 3rd to the sharks to clear cap
3. Let Perron, Kane, and sprong walk (clears up almost $10M) might be unpopular opinion
4. Sign Anthony Stolarz to Lyon deal 1.5M x2 years
5. Sign Brett Pesce 5 years x 6 million
6. Trade 2024 15OA+ William Wallinder for Pavel Buchnevic or Frank Vatrano
7. Sign Raymond 8x7.8M and Seider 8 years x 8.4 million
8. Bring up Berggren and Johansson (cheap deals)
9. If theres room left, Sign Stamkos 4x6.5 million
10. Bring up Kasper

L1. Debrincat - Larkin - Raymond
L2 Buchnevic - Stamkos - Berggren
L3 Kasper - Compher - Fabbri
L4 Rasmussen - Copp - Fischer

Edvinsson - Seider
Walman - Pesce
Chiarot - Johansson
Maatta

Husso (maybe LTIR him?) /Lyon/Stolarz
1. Ok, I can see that. Petry gets his money, and a job with the org.
2. It will cost more than a 3rd to dump Holl. On anyone.
3. I don't mind bringing back Perron, say 1 million, 1 year. Kane will get better offers than Detroit can afford. Spong is gone.
4. Stolarz will get a better contract from another team.
5. You will be paying a player for what he was, not what he is going to be.
6. Don't hate it. Depends on cap space.
7. Sure. They both need to be signed.
8. Yes.
9. Would love him, but he can get a better deal elsewhere.
10. I will throw punches if this doesn't happen.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
1. Ok, I can see that. Petry gets his money, and a job with the org.
2. It will cost more than a 3rd to dump Holl. On anyone.
3. I don't mind bringing back Perron, say 1 million, 1 year. Kane will get better offers than Detroit can afford. Spong is gone.
4. Stolarz will get a better contract from another team.
5. You will be paying a player for what he was, not what he is going to be.
6. Don't hate it. Depends on cap space.
7. Sure. They both need to be signed.
8. Yes.
9. Would love him, but he can get a better deal elsewhere.
10. I will throw punches if this doesn't happen.
Re: 5 and 6. Pesce is younger than Vatrano and only 5mo older than Buchnevich and he won't be more expensive than either.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The two drafts that bite us in the ass in hindsight are the 2017 and 2018 drafts. 2017 produced Rasmussen who is a 3rd/4th liner when the next 7 forwards off the board are contributing at a 2nd line rate when healthy, AND missing out on Jason Robertson in the 2nd for the safe and steady pick in Gustav Lindstrom. In 2018 Detroit picked Zadina while missing out on Hughes, Dobson and Bouchard in an absolute stinker of a draft class.
I'm not even down, and yet you still kick me.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
As much as I sometimes disagree with Prashanth Iyer, I think he brought up some good points on the recent Winged Wheel Podcast. A huge problem with the team is breakouts. DMen not being able to beat forecheckers with a pass or skating and wingers not being good at receiving those passes and facilitating those breakouts. If we can improve at that then suddenly the puck is out of our zone a lot more, our GA goes down, and our GF stays steady. A full season of Edvinsson and hopefully a healthy Walman should help with that.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
As much as I sometimes disagree with Prashanth Iyer, I think he brought up some good points on the recent Winged Wheel Podcast. A huge problem with the team is breakouts. DMen not being able to beat forecheckers with a pass or skating and wingers not being good at receiving those passes and facilitating those breakouts. If we can improve at that then suddenly the puck is out of our zone a lot more, our GA goes down, and our GF stays steady. A full season of Edvinsson and hopefully a healthy Walman should help with that.
It's why their 5on5 numbers are not so great, they get caught in that cycle you mentioned above and just don't do anything.

They also mentioned that was one of Berggren's weaknesses was the neutral zone and maybe why they are not so big on him. Might have been Bultman, which I do remember being on display when he did have his small call up.

Reactions: NickH8

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's why their 5on5 numbers are not so great, they get caught in that cycle you mentioned above and just don't do anything.

They also mentioned that was one of Berggren's weaknesses was the neutral zone and maybe why they are not so big on him. Might have been Bultman, which I do remember being on display when he did have his small call up.
They're also wrong about that with Berggren. He's one of the better puck transporters we have up front since he's not terrified of the puck on his stick.

The trick is having D that are willing/able to pass him the puck and not having him standing stock still facing the boards at the blue line.

If we institute a system that incorporates passes as opposed to dumps, chips, rim-arounds Berggren and the team can flourish rather than spend 60 minutes chasing all the time.

So if the breakout system is forwards standing along the boards at the blue line, get rid of him. And all other non-plugs.

Last edited:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Well, I did some research, but the song only tells you to learn to fly again without offering any tips on how to actually fix the wings.

1714292218342.gif

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Breakouts are a problem for sure, and I havr been saying that for a while. In my opinion, a lot of thid falls on the forwards not getting open for a pass. There's just not much movement at all, making it real easy for our opponents to read the play and put pressure on the receiving player. Some of this should fall on the coach too.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Definitely disregard the 3 seasons prior and cherrypick to make a bad point.
You mean last season when Pesce had 30 points, vs. Holl 2 years ago on a 27 point pace? What an absolutely massive difference. And the year before that, Pesce on a 32 point pace and Holl had a 30 point pace.
Definitely sounds like we should give Pesce a blank check here, no way that contract could age poorly.

3 years before being UFA

Player A- 20:27 TOI/GP, 0.30 Pts/GP, +45
Player B- 21:22 TOI/GP, 0.32 Pts/GP, +26

Pick out the one we’re desperate to get out of a short-term 3Mil contract, and the one we want to sign long-term for twice that money.

Last edited:

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Let's fleece Toronto for Marner..

I'd love Marner but it would gut our futures and likely a huge piece of our core. Toronto isn't trading us Marner without one of Larkin, Mo or Ray and although Marner is a truly elite player... his track record of withering in the playoffs would make me say thanks but no thanks. Bring back Kane to be our puck magician/softy for free.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I'd love Marner but it would gut our futures and likely a huge piece of our core. Toronto isn't trading us Marner without one of Larkin, Mo or Ray and although Marner is a truly elite player... his track record of withering in the playoffs would make me say thanks but no thanks. Bring back Kane to be our puck magician/softy for free.
Honestly I 100% doubt that should the TML lose to Boston and changes are made that any team pays full value for Marner..

His NMC, coupled with x 1 year remaining on his 10.5m deal and a potential desire for a culture change in Toronto = a modestly better Debrincat level return for whomever he agrees to waive for...

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Honestly I 100% doubt that should the TML lose to Boston and changes are made that any team pays full value for Marner..

His NMC, coupled with x 1 year remaining on his 10.5m deal and a potential desire for a culture change in Toronto = a modestly better Debrincat level return for whomever he agrees to waive for...
I don't think you make the move without a contract extension in place, what's the number? 10 million?

Risk no doubts, I'd slow play it, see who else becomes available first.

TBH I don't think Toronto trades him unless it's TDL.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I don't think you make the move without a contract extension in place, what's the number? 10 million?

Risk no doubts, I'd slow play it, see who else becomes available first.

TBH I don't think Toronto trades him unless it's TDL.
I think if Toronto loses Keefe is gone and maybe Marner but not at the TDL but this summer...

Marner with his NMC controls things..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad