How do you fix the Wings?

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
If I were Stevie Y, here's what I would do

1. Buyout Petry (absolutely necessary)
2. Dump Holl + 3rd to the sharks to clear cap
3. Let Perron, Kane, and sprong walk (clears up almost $10M) might be unpopular opinion
4. Sign Anthony Stolarz to Lyon deal 1.5M x2 years
5. Sign Brett Pesce 5 years x 6 million
6. Trade 2024 15OA+ William Wallinder for Pavel Buchnevic or Frank Vatrano
7. Sign Raymond 8x7.8M and Seider 8 years x 8.4 million
8. Bring up Berggren and Johansson (cheap deals)
9. If theres room left, Sign Stamkos 4x6.5 million
10. Bring up Kasper

L1. Debrincat - Larkin - Raymond
L2 Buchnevic - Stamkos - Berggren
L3 Kasper - Compher - Fabbri
L4 Rasmussen - Copp - Fischer

Edvinsson - Seider
Walman - Pesce
Chiarot - Johansson
Maatta

Husso (maybe LTIR him?) /Lyon/Stolarz

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Husso will be back with Lyon as his backup
giphy.gif

Reactions: raymond23

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

3. Let Perron, Kane, and sprong walk (clears up almost $10M) might be unpopular opinion
10. Bring up Kasper

L3 Rasmussen - Compher - Fabbri
L4 Fischer - Copp - Kasper

Edvinsson - Seider
Walman - Pesce
Chiarot - Johansson
Maatta

I could see SY going after and signing Stamkos(or Marchesssault) AND trading for Shea Theodore( vegas has no 1st in 24 and 25)..

I see Perron returning on a cheaper 1 year deal and Fischer resigned. The remaining UFAs are gone. I'd like to see us sign Perry x 1 year.

Our goalies will be run back

Holl is gone

Kasper will be in GR

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

10. Bring up Kasper

L3 Rasmussen - Compher - Fabbri
L4 Fischer - Copp - Kasper

Edvinsson - Seider
Walman - Pesce
Chiarot - Johansson
Maatta

Pretty much every move is better than we can realistically expect, but I like the general sentiment of these moves. Is there actually enough cap space for this team? If I told you to add $1 mil to both Stamkos and Pesce, could you still make this roster work? I'd be pretty excited about being a team with that NHL roster and Danielson, ASP, Cossa, and Mazur on the way as very likely NHLers with a lot of depth in the system.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Cossa is 21 will be 22 about a month into the season. He's more than fine to be the acting #3 in the event of emergency. The kid glove hysterics with goalies are a bit over the top. Vasi split his first two years in NA (at 20 and 21yo) between the AHL and NHL and he didn't die.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Pretty much every move is better than we can realistically expect, but I like the general sentiment of these moves. Is there actually enough cap space for this team? If I told you to add $1 mil to both Stamkos and Pesce, could you still make this roster work? I'd be pretty excited about being a team with that NHL roster and Danielson, ASP, Cossa, and Mazur on the way as very likely NHLers with a lot of depth in the system.
We could absolutely make It work cap wise, could Even trade Fabbri or LTIR husso to help elevate another kid like Mazur (saves us another 3M) and Mazur could be nasty

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
A bit unrelated but watching Vegas-Stars series you clearly see what a star 1st line center could do. In both games Eichel was on ice for the last two minutes and didn't lost a single faceoffs. He creates chances, scores goals, excellent at D, all you can ask for.

I still can't believe Buffalo traded him. I guess I'm still following him because it might be us trading for him. All it took is a prospect, top-6 winger and a 1st...

Reactions: 14ari13

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Cossa is 21 will be 22 about a month into the season. He's more than fine to be the acting #3 in the event of emergency. The kid glove hysterics with goalies are a bit over the top. Vasi split his first two years in NA (at 20 and 21yo) between the AHL and NHL and he didn't die.
Not behind Husso, because that essentially makes him a second.

A bit unrelated but watching Vegas-Stars series you clearly see what a star 1st line center could do. In both games Eichel was on ice for the last two minutes and didn't lost a single faceoffs. He creates chances, scores goals, excellent at D, all you can ask for.

I still can't believe Buffalo traded him. I guess I'm still following him because it might be us trading for him. All it took is a prospect, top-6 winger and a 1st...
He's the same tier as Larkin.

Reactions: Oddbob and NickH8

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
As long as Cossa is playing I don't have an issue wherever he is. Just don't call him up to sit behind Lyon.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
As long as Cossa is playing I don't have an issue wherever he is. Just don't call him up to sit behind Lyon.
Honestly, I'd juggle all three till one could be sold off. (Husso/Lyon). Also, I suspect Husso's injury might not be all right without surgery. All "signs" points to some lower back, disc/vertebrae issue. The teams been pretty silent and tight lipped about his situation though, purely outside looking in on my part with his injury.

Cossa played well, I legitimately think he could have come in and held down that playoff run. Idk he'll be ready for the full 82, but he looks like a pro. I'd lean on him right now as the best goal-tender in the organization without a signing.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Not behind Husso, because that essentially makes him a second.

He's the same tier as Larkin.
Larkin and Eichel have very similar stat lines these past two years, down to the amount of games missed too.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I could see SY going after and signing Stamkos(or Marchesssault) AND trading for Shea Theodore( vegas has no 1st in 24 and 25)..

I see Perron returning on a cheaper 1 year deal and Fischer resigned. The remaining UFAs are gone. I'd like to see us sign Perry x 1 year.

Our goalies will be run back

Holl is gone

Kasper will be in GR
I doubt Veleno or Rasmussen better than Kasper and he's cheaper and he was drafted by Yzerman. Red Wings going to be younger and faster next season, not other way around

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Umm, Larkin puts up the same level of pts per game as Eichel, so if Eichel is a number 1 then so is Larkin. Not sure why everyone thinks Eichel is so good. Look at his career stats, they are largely not better than Larkin outside maybe 1-2 seasons.

You also brought up faceoffs, and Larkin is MUCH better in the faceoff dot than Eichel. A career 44.6% in the faceoff dot is Eichel, Larkin is at 52.4% for his career. Larkin is also better in his own end. Eichel might be slightly better at offence, but even then not by much.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Holl had 18 points and we signed him for 3.4M and everyone hated it and now wants to spend assets to dump him.

Pesce had 13 points people want to sign him for double the money and term.

Wtf.

Reactions: KJoe88

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Holl had 18 points and we signed him for 3.4M and everyone hated it and now wants to spend assets to dump him.

Wtf.

To be fair while neither player is an offensive dynamo, only 1 is an AHL Player on a 7 year playoff drought team...

I doubt Veleno or Rasmussen better than Kasper and he's cheaper and he was drafted by Yzerman. Red Wings going to be younger and faster next season, not other way around
I doubt that as well...

That said SY will not dump either player to play Kasper in 24/25...The "rookies" next season will Berggren and Johansson

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Wtf.
Pesce's faceoff percentage is probably also trash and just about as relevant.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Wtf.
Definitely disregard the 3 seasons prior and cherrypick to make a bad point.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Definitely disregard the 3 seasons prior and cherrypick to make a bad point.
Yeah as much as I am leery of signing UFA dman. Pesce is a high end top 4 defender that plays RD. He is someone that has shown the ability to solidify weaker defensive players, is an excellent pker, and doesn't destroy plays offensively. He is a big reason that Hurricanes team is a such a pain to play against.

Signing him would give Ed a very reliable partner and allow us to move Seider to PK 2 which allows us to give him the primary role on the 1st PP unit. Also I think an Ed/Pesce pairing would be good enough defensively to take some of that defensive 5 on 5 load off the Seider pairing.

Pesce is a much better player than Holl. You can't just compare points.

This roster is not doable from a cap standpoint. The only way to semi make this work would be buying out Husso and likely Holl (I don't think he is tradeable). Trading Maata and Fabbri (I put in 1 mil retention for each but maybe full cap hit is dealable).

There is zero chance we can add 3 major cap hits. We are maxed out at 2. Stamkos is only 34 so you couldn't bonus him in.

I put in Pesce at 7 but even if you get him at 6 that still only gives you 4.3 for 2 more spots.

I signed Perron to a 1 year deal with a 1 mil base with probably another 1-1.5 in 35+ bonus since we do have some addl money to play with the following season with no reason big RFAs to sign.

I did not buyout Petry as we don't really save much by doing it (like 800k). You could though to free up a little more space if say a better goalie option opened up. I don't see Yzerman running only 6 d though as I'm not super confident in the prospects behind Aljo to immediately be ready to step into an NHL role if we get a longer term injury.

With that you have 2.3 left to sign a 4th line winger. You could allocate 1.3 of that to the goalie spot and try and land someone at more than 1.5 mil there. (I mostly used Reimer as a filler)

1714143833671.png

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
To be fair while neither player is an offensive dynamo, only 1 is an AHL Player on a 7 year playoff drought team...

I doubt that as well...

That said SY will not dump either player to play Kasper in 24/25...The "rookies" next season will Berggren and Johansson
If you like to know what is going on in Yzerman head better pay attention what Lalonde saying. My impression is going to be more than 2 Rockies next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad