How do you deal with stinky gear?

Alem66

Feb 21, 2018
I am interested in finding out how people are dealing with their gear/their kids' gear and combating the odor. I have heard of a few options from forced air dryers, to UV dryers to using the dishwasher, or just vinegar. What has everyone had good success with in the past?

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I just lay out the equipment when I get home and run 2 fans to dry. When the weather turns nice, it goes outside for fresh air. Seems to do the job.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I have wire shelving in the garage, so it allows airflow on all sides. I lay the gear out when I get home from a skate and let it dry. It keeps the smell out of the house and knocked down to manageable levels. Once a season or so (or whenever the smell starts to get back) I'll run stuff through the washing machine on gentle. Cloth items (socks, jerseys, jock, etc.) get washed after each use.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I just lay out the equipment when I get home and run 2 fans to dry. When the weather turns nice, it goes outside for fresh air. Seems to do the job.
Before I do this, I soak the gear a bit in warm water like in a bathtub with some detergent.

DevsFan84

Jul 31, 2007
I hate the smell of some of the odor sprays that are sold, so I made my own.

25% rubbing alcohol, 75% water. Doesn't leave any odor, and keeps gear smelling good. I spray my stuff every time I play, and the worst I get is (for lack of a better word) a mild hospital-y smell if I don't dry out my gear completely in between skates.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Just use the washing machine, on low or delicate setting, and use warm or hot water.

EVERYTHING can be washed at home or a laundry mat. *Skates and helmet excluded of course; you can do that by hand.

DO NOT put anything in the dryer except for your base layer / jock strap. Let everything air dry on a hockey tree, rack, shelves, or just hang stuff up.

This really should be posted somewhere permanently since it gets asked a few times a year.

Reactions: Bondoao1

Jjbuck

Apr 1, 2014
I built an organizer/ drying rack. Glued a sheet of 3/4 ply to the block wall, dowel rods for gloves. 2x4 wrapped in duct tape for the helmet. Hooks for shin guards and elbows.

Has a clothes rod across the top, hooks are behind it. Open cubbies above, and room for bins under. Hockey bag sits on the main shelf.

My kid carries his bag down each time, puts everything in place. Makes packing in a hurry easier.

It's more crowded from peewee to HS hockey. His jerseys now hang in another nook.

Attachments

• PhotoText.jpg
    PhotoText.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad