Series Talk: How do we beat Boston in round 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
How pathetic does it look if a bruins fan came in here and the post says "how we beat boston in round 1" when it isn't factual yet, starting a thread called "how to get out of round one" would probably be more productive as we can then talk about other teams we may play against as well.

I don't see Montreal catching us or Boston, so you?

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
OP said Leafs vs Bruins III.

This is Leafs vs Bruins II

List of current Leafs, Coaches, Management that were involved with the 2013 series.

1. Nazem Kadri, first full season in NHL
2. Jake Gardiner, second season in NHL and spent majority in AHL.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
How pathetic does it look if a bruins fan came in here and the post says "how we beat boston in round 1" when it isn't factual yet, starting a thread called "how to get out of round one" would probably be more productive as we can then talk about other teams we may play against as well.

If a bruins fan came in here ... what are you talking about?

If you want to start another thread that's more appropriate, what's stopping you?

If you've something "productive" to say, I've yet to see it.

Reactions: ACC1224 and dsred

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Don't forget the most important thing. Deep down inside, kept under control of course, you have to feel like this:

giphy.gif

member 300185

OK we know our team now. It is set. Probability of facing Boston in round 1 is around 95.3% as per Sports Club Stats. So folks brace yourselves Leafs v Bruins III.

What is our optimal lineup for game 1?

How do we beat the Boston fore check and cycle game?
Out play them. Simple.

We took Boston to game 7 last year after a slow start getting up to playoff hockey speed.

We added JT and Muzzin. I think we will be OK this time.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Might as well just say win 4 out of 7 games.

Yup, might as well and it's true. We can yak all we like about what the "key" to the series is but in the end, you never know what will happen, who will emerge as a surprising key player, which key player will be invisible etc. In this case it would be shocking if containing the Bergeron line wasn't key but you never know. And of course goaltending, is ALMOST ALWAYS the key to success in any series.

I'm almost in playoff mode myself, I kind of want the next 6 weeks to be over with already. Yes I know that home ice is important and I really want us to get it but at the same time, game 1 is going to be more important then what happens in the next 6 weeks so I just want to get on with it.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
The Boston obsession is ridiculous.

There's still 20 games to go... Do you know how much hockey that is?

Maybe that's another bergeron injury..
Maybe that's a Toronto cold streak?
Maybe Boston falls apart.

Let me see...20 games ago, we had a 6 point lead on Boston and they were worried about missing the playoffs. We were more concerned about playing Montreal.

Facts are, things will change within 20 games, and until that happens this conversation is meaningless and just fantasy talk. We're making this a much bigger problem than it is. No wonder some of you have nightmares about the Bruins. Your constantly obsessing over them. I realize they've caused us issue, but why fight that battle before it comes up again? If it comes up again

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
OK we know our team now. It is set. Probability of facing Boston in round 1 is around 95.3% as per Sports Club Stats. So folks brace yourselves Leafs v Bruins III.

What is our optimal lineup for game 1?

How do we beat the Boston fore check and cycle game?
We'll just Corsi their asses to death.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
We just need Matthews, Andersen and Nylander to show up and we are fine.

the refs could be bad and we would still win the series.

Matthews and Nylander were taking heavy checking of Boston's best. Which happens in every playoffs. This is why Marner had so much free space. Andy could've been a bit better, Naz could've not be suspended, but most importantly can't have Gardiner and Z lose games for you. Rest of the team was fine.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
  • Stay out of the penalty box. Boston has the 2nd best PP in the league @ 26.4%, 3rd most goals scored on the PP (52).
  • Boston is 26th with 5 on 5 goals scored (110), we are 2nd (156), one behind TB.
  • Get off to a better start, we rank 12th in goals scored in the 1st period (58), 3rd in goals scored (77) in the 2nd period, 4th in goals scored (80) in the 3rd period. Conversely Boston has allowed the least 1st period goals (39), 6th least (57) in the 2nd and 3rd least (54) in the 3rd.
I think it will come down to how well/poorly our PK plays. If Boston's PP opportunities are limited and our PK is strong we will win the series, if not we will lose.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Seems like you've got your panties in a bunch. Go adjust them.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
We had them going into the third of game 7 last year, Freddy couldn't close it out. We added Tavares, Muzzin, a better Kappy, and Johnsson, I think the Leafs take them out in 5-6 games, this season

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If Hainsey is playing with Rielly still we probably lose. That MBP line is going to run train on Hainsey.

How someone can be so ignorant of reality is mind numbing. The guy is having one of the best defensive seasons for a Leaf defender in team history and he is somehow dead weight. I guess since he does not score a boat load he sucks... probably should forget that he is the guy we rely on to play all those crappy minutes on the PK and the guy who gets all those crappy DZ starts.

Reactions: KIWILEAFFAN

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Play to our strengths and not theirs. Play fast and skilled hockey, don't fall into the Marchand trap of emotional hockey. Oh, and stop the Bergeron line.

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
1. Frederik Andersen must match regular season performance and remain healthy. I expect a lengthy series with Boston, where's it's reasonable to expect at least one bad game from the Leaf skaters. Andersen stealing that bad game, could very well be the deciding factor.
2. It's extremely painful to say, but the team must play to their strength. Boston wants a heavy and physical game, and Toronto can't play that game!
3. The one and only "enforcer" is the PP, and it needs to enforce.
4. Home ice advantage wouldn't hurt
5. Babcock making sense wouldn't hurt
6. Gardiner sucks

Reactions: ToMaLe

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Sucks that we'll most likely be playing a Top5 team in the first round again. Stick to our game and be yourself instead of bruising everyone around. They are beatable but we have to be mentally strong and not beat ourselves.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Sucks that we'll most likely be playing a Top5 team in the first round again. Stick to our game and be yourself instead of bruising everyone around. They are beatable but we have to be mentally strong and not beat ourselves.
I hope they realign all the divisions and playoff format when Seattle comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad