Line Combos: How do they generate some 5on5 offense?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I kind of hate even throwing this out there because it is a longstanding problem, but a little puck luck would not go amiss right now. Sometimes that is all guy needs to get some confidence back and start putting them in more consistently. I am thinking of Kase and Bjork here, and DeBrusk to some extent also. The D men could ue a bit as well.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
The elephant that has been in the room for years. A legitimate 2nd line goal scorer. We just played one in Palmieri. Someone of that ilk.

Not that I disagree, but keep in mind Palmieri is NJ's 1st line winger. Any team adding another teams best winger to the 2nd line is a surefire improvement.

But yes, I agree, we've needed to fill that spot for a while, with many failed attempts. Perfect year to get a UFA in the off-season for nothing, unable to do that, so it likely leads to us giving up yet another round of assets to patch the hole.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
I kind of hate even throwing this out there because it is a longstanding problem, but a little puck luck would not go amiss right now. Sometimes that is all guy needs to get some confidence back and start putting them in more consistently. I am thinking of Kase and Bjork here, and DeBrusk to some extent also. The D men could ue a bit as well.
You create puck luck by hard work and going to the dirty areas which is not where you will find JDB or Bjork and Kase seems to get hurt when he goes there! This team is way too light, doesn't pass well, and doesn't shoot well, so barring a huge multi player trade? I could see us sneaking in to that last playoff position if our goaltending is Outstanding. Some on this board want to see ZS in the lineup and I agree, he can't be any worse then the plugs that I've watched since the bubble started last year.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I like that we're finally seeing Marchand-Bergeron-Krejci. In desperate times, this is our best group (sans Pastrnak) in a 5-5 situation.

Moving Debrusk to the top line will hopefully give him the spark needed to get going. He was pretty invisible in Jersey.. Cass is probably best to keep Ritchie-Coyle-Smith together as much as possible, when healthy. Need at least one line developing some consistency.

If it were me, I'd go with:

Marchand-Bergeron-Studnika (double shift Krejci here sometimes)
Debrusk-Krejci-Bjork
Ritchie-Coyle-Smith
Frederic-Kuraly-Wagner

Reactions: smack66

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Perhaps rearranging the lines can help some, but so far it seems like lack of scoring talent and lack of taking good shots are the main issues. Too many useless perimeter shots, combined with not enough net-front presence seem to be an issue so far. Additionally, the bottom 9 and D have done a piss poor job of passing to players set up to take a good shot, electing instead to fling a weak wrister toward goal or making a pointless pass. Same issues to some extent as last season.

Reactions: duffy

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Trade for some offensive minded talent. Team lacks offensive creativity. Chicago will be rebuilding soon, trade offer for Kane. Or move on Dubois.

Studnicka looks lost. Bjork is quick but not a scorer. DeBrusk is a coin toss. After Bergeron Krejci we only have Marchand and Pastrnak who can create in offensive zone. Major problems here in 2 years

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Marsh - Bergeron - Smith
DeBrusk - Krejci - Coyle
Ritchie - Studnicka - Bjork
Kuraly - Frederic - Wagner

I want to see Coyle and Krejci together, and I want to give the kids some time at center.
I would do the exact line as you, maybe swapping Ritchie and Debrusk as well as Coyle and Smith.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You create puck luck by hard work and going to the dirty areas which is not where you will find JDB or Bjork and Kase seems to get hurt when he goes there! This team is way too light, doesn't pass well, and doesn't shoot well, so barring a huge multi player trade? I could see us sneaking in to that last playoff position if our goaltending is Outstanding. Some on this board want to see ZS in the lineup and I agree, he can't be any worse then the plugs that I've watched since the bubble started last year.

No, they are not going to get dirty goals, but the three of them have taken a ton of shots and if a few more went in- off a stick or skate, in off the edge of the post, a double deflection on the way in- it would help.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Marchand-Bergeron-Studnicka
Ritchie-Krejci-Frederic
Debrusk-Coyle-Smith
Bjork-Kuraly-Wagner

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
No, they are not going to get dirty goals, but the three of them have taken a ton of shots and if a few more went in- off a stick or skate, in off the edge of the post, a double deflection on the way in- it would help.
I would agree if they actually could shoot! They all shoot like a pass and goalies just wait for it to drop in their glove. Other than Pasta, we have zero shooters! Our defense can barely reach the net with a shot and opposition D knock down shots with their hands and clear the zone. Shots should be blistered at the net not lobbed. I think if we had gotten OEL and Hoffman our goals per shots would have improved significantly.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
Coyle was terrible in those 2 games but taking out of center is not the answer.
Marchand and Bergeron can play with anyone so that’s whatever.
i’d do
Ritchie Krejci Smith
Debrusk Coyle Studnicka
Bjork Kuraly Frederic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad