How do the Pens do it?

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Look at the last three years of that contract that gigantic drop in salary is illegal per today's cba it is in the same stratosphere as Hossa's Zetterberg's Parise's etc.

In regards to the bolded with how ridiculous some of these hot takes have been by Pit fans (lockout cups only counts as half, LA and Chicago didnt face real teams in the playoffs, the 17 penguins could take on the 77 Habs, Pit would have easily won more with Sullivan) the fanbase here have made it pretty easy for people to despise their team. If they didnt have so many posters flooding this board (they'd be downvoted to oblivion on places like reddit) perhaps they wouldnt be such a hated team and challenging the Leafs on this site for the most insufferable fanbase.
Except that Crosby has always planned to play out his contract, unlike the Blackhawks with Hossa, so no unfair advantage was gained. Unless you think Crosby will retire at age 34.

You clearly have a guilty conscience over the Blackhawks cheating the salary cap to win their cups*, but an internet message board isn't the appropriate way to vent.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Except that Crosby has always planned to play out his contract, unlike the Blackhawks with Hossa, so no unfair advantage was gained. Unless you think Crosby will retire at age 34.

You clearly have a guilty conscience over the Blackhawks cheating the salary cap to win their cups*, but an internet message board isn't the appropriate way to vent.

Its not a guilty conscious as you make it as if Hossa was the only with a now illegal contract when there are a decent chunk of players on a number of teams that have one (detroit has 2 with Z and Franzen, Florida/Van had lu, MTL/NSH with Weber, Minnesota with Suter and Parise, Vinny had one for Tampa, LA/PHI with Carter and Richards) its apparent you dont have a clue about half the things you type. Crosby's contract is illegal all things considered no matter how you try to pathetically spin it. Even in regards to Hossa if it was planned they would have done something more than acquire Franson with the 5 million in space the entire season despite the fact that hossa had 20 goals last year in a 3rd line role, yeah franson was a 4d chess move for sure... When the league itself sent independent doctors to assess Lupul and Hossa to check for bs only to approve their placement on LTIR. Youd have to really be something special in the head if youd ride a conspiracy theory that a doctor would willingly risk his license and possibly ruin his career just to make chicago not ice a 20 goal scorer whom they would have played this season.

illpucks

May 26, 2011

If Crosby got cups every year between now and 34 I wonder if he'd retire then.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Its not a guilty conscious as you make it as if Hossa was the only with a now illegal contract when there are a decent chunk of players on a number of teams that have one (detroit has 2 with Z and Franzen, Florida/Van had lu, MTL/NSH with Weber, Minnesota with Suter and Parise, Vinny had one for Tampa, LA/PHI with Carter and Richards) its apparent you dont have a clue about half the things you type. Crosby's contract is illegal all things considered no matter how you try to pathetically spin it. Even in regards to Hossa if it was planned they would have done something more than acquire Franson with the 5 million in space the entire season despite the fact that hossa had 20 goals last year in a 3rd line role, yeah franson was a 4d chess move for sure... When the league itself sent independent doctors to assess Lupul and Hossa to check for bs only to approve their placement on LTIR. Youd have to really be something special in the head if youd ride a conspiracy theory that a doctor would willingly risk his license and possibly ruin his career just to make chicago not ice a 20 goal scorer whom they would have played this season.
1) The Blackhawks cheating clearly concerns you so much that in your haste you didn't even have time to use the 'ENTER' key before responding.

2) Good point, I'm sure no doctor working for a professional sports team would do something unethical if it was in their employer's best interest. It's not like it happens in pretty much every NFL game.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
jesus christ, man. all you have to do is go to page 1 to see that a Sharks fan said something about quality of competition with this little tidbit response from PenguinSpeed.....

right for the jugular. never blinked an eye and all b/c someone questioned the quality of competition the Pens faced. big damn deal. so yeah, maybe you need to call that ****ing clown out since you're so "I'm with you, brother".

lol i'm sorry that i dont have every post on here read. im so sorry.

but you just admitted that it wasnt pens fans that brought up QoC so im still with that, brother.

i should also apologize for trying to be civil in here now. i should go back to what i usually do.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Guentzel scored 4 goals in a row.

I mean, you just shrug it off at that point.

The Penguins have heroes everywhere essentially, it is pretty crazy.

I take a little solace the Sens got the closest to eliminating them in this outrageous run of theirs.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Guentzel scored 4 goals in a row.

I mean, you just shrug it off at that point.

The Penguins have heroes everywhere essentially, it is pretty crazy.

I take a little solace the Sens got the closest to eliminating them in this outrageous run of theirs.

Crazy to think that 1 goal separated the Sens from the cup eh?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
1. Crosby
2. Malkin
3. Good Coach
4. Good GM
5. No bad contracts
6. Players will take a pay cut to play with Crosby and Malkin
7. Good development of draft picks and UDFAs: Sheary, Guentzel, Rust, Khunackel, Dumolin, Murray
8. Letting the above players figure it out at the NHL level instead of getting retreads, this is good coaching and good GMing

The organization understands how the game has changed with regards to creating a roster with scoring depth that puts a ton of pressure on the opposing team.

Who's actually done this? Most of the new contracts we've signed have been fair for age and record, some a little generous.

Rest of it is pretty much spot on, particularly 8. This team is deep because it trusted youth.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
1) The Blackhawks cheating clearly concerns you so much that in your haste you didn't even have time to use the 'ENTER' key before responding.

2) Good point, I'm sure no doctor working for a professional sports team would do something unethical if it was in their employer's best interest. It's not like it happens in pretty much every NFL game.

People get salty when they realize 2 in 2 is greater than 1.5 in 3.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
The Hawks were one OT goal away from winning in 2013 which would have been 3 straight Cups.

Pittsburgh has yet to run into a team on the level of 2014 LA, maybe the '16 Sharks and '17 Caps were on that level but Pittsburgh matched up better against SJ and Holtby disappeared in 2017.

What??

What ot goal in 2013?

How would that be three straight cups the kings won in 2012 and 2014 ?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
What??

What ot goal in 2013?

How would that be three straight cups the kings won in 2012 and 2014 ?

An OT goal from making the finals.

It was a dominant run by the Hawks over that three years; so was the Kings run from 12 to 14. Back-to-back gives the Pens the edge over those teams but they are also more dominant in goal differential.

Hawks (2013 to 2015) - GF-2.94, GA - 2.51 43W, 22L
Kings (2012 to 2014) - GF- 2.84, GA - 2.09 41 W, 23L
Pens (2016 to 2018) - GF - 3.24, GA - 2.31 36W, 19L

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
An OT goal from making the finals.

It was a dominant run by the Hawks over that three years; so was the Kings run from 12 to 14. Back-to-back gives the Pens the edge over those teams but they are also more dominant in goal differential.

Hawks (2013 to 2015) - GF-2.94, GA - 2.51 43W, 22L
Kings (2012 to 2014) - GF- 2.84, GA - 2.09 41 W, 23L
Pens (2016 to 2018) - GF - 3.24, GA - 2.31 36W, 19L

But the hawks made the finals in 2013 so I have no idea what your talking about.

Ohhh you are confusing 2013 and 2014.

The kings beat the hawks in game 7 ot and then the rangers in 2014.

Your original post should of said one goal away in 14 not 13.

And now it makes sense.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
It's not exactly a team building model you can copy.

Be lucky, and get to draft one definite generational player, and one borderline generational player, in back-to-back drafts.

Sure, they've made good moves on top of that and have taken advantage of having these two players. But that's really the main driving force behind their success. Swap Crosby/Malkin with any other teams 1-2 punch up the middle, and they probably have 0 Cups. Crosby/Malkin have 177 and 162 points respectively in 154 playoff games.

Reactions: mantha39

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
IYoud have to really be something special in the head if youd ride a conspiracy theory that a doctor would willingly risk his license and possibly ruin his career just to make chicago not ice a 20 goal scorer whom they would have played this season.

Yea no doctors in the history of accreditation have ever over-written prescriptions or fudged diagnosis. Every doctor is completely ethical

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
It's not exactly a team building model you can copy.

Be lucky, and get to draft one definite generational player, and one borderline generational player, in back-to-back drafts.

Sure, they've made good moves on top of that and have taken advantage of having these two players. But that's really the main driving force behind their success. Swap Crosby/Malkin with any other teams 1-2 punch up the middle, and they probably have 0 Cups. Crosby/Malkin have 177 and 162 points respectively in 154 playoff games.
i don't understand why hypotheticals like this are so popular on this site. it makes too many assumptions at once, like if the Pens kept the entire roster the same in those years besides not having Crosby and Malkin. I'm not certain that the Pens would have the same focus for building their roster without Crosby and Malkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad