How do the Panthers fans feel about Bob’s contract now ?

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
we had competent goalies to throw in there and the coaches were desperate to find something to change the dynamic. and goalies do get hot.

I'm not saying he was in the zone but there are such things as extenuating circumstances and for a goalie, one of those is that the team in front of you can't defend. and we couldn't. this is something I've heard goalie commentators such as weekes talk about when discussing bob's career with us.

having said that, I'd be curious to see what the advanced stats looked like between the different goalies. i.e., did the boys perk up and do a better job of protecting the middle with the backups in net.

I think Bob is a goalie who plays as well as the team infront of him plays. And as the teams' defensive structure started to improve under Maurice last year in January, his play also improved. So I should probably give him more credit for the second half than I have.
Anyway, this is in the past, time to focus on future performance and the game! :hit:

Reactions: harv33173

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
He's arguably the best goalie in franchise history. Future hall of famer. I'm more than happy with him. Rarely has health issues because he's a fitness freak. Level headed. Supportive of his backups. He's easily a Top 5 goalie in the world the past 2 years. Goalies like Bobrovsky dont come along very often. Will enjoy him while we've got him. Stolarz will pull an Alex Lyon this summer and chase a starting job, as he should. Knight the heir to Bob's throne and has big shoes to fill.
All three goalies were pissed away by the Flyers. Another chapter in their legacy of idiocy.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I think Bob is a goalie who plays as well as the team infront of him plays. And as the teams' defensive structure started to improve under Maurice last year in January, his play also improved. So I should probably give him more credit for the second half than I have.
Anyway, this is in the past, time to focus on future performance and the game! :hit:

he won two vezinas playing for CBS. please.

he's a great goalie, period.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
There are 2 factors to consider in the Bob situation. Both of which have thankfully transpired to our benefit and have thus contributed to a more favorable outlook on his contract. But make no mistake, it’s been an albatross contract since day one.

Factors:

1- Bob has aged like fine wine.

2- We landed Bill the GOAT fkn Zito

I can easily argue had we not been carrying that 10 million anchor we could’ve opened our window sooner and peaked for longer.

Colorado won with fregging Kuemper…we could’ve added or kept some mejor depth like Marchment etc. and I can easily also argue it’s thanks to the magic genius of Bill Zito that has found needles in the haystacks and diamonds in the rough and things have all worked out that this contract hasn’t hindered us as it would have if another GM was handling things.

So yeah, all things considered, just because it’s worked out the last 2 seasons doesn’t negate the fact that it’s still been ultimately a brutal contract for our cap space which has made Zito’s work even harder.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
There are 2 factors to consider in the Bob situation. Both of which have thankfully transpired to our benefit and have thus contributed to a more favorable outlook on his contract. But make no mistake, it’s been an albatross contract since day one.

Factors:

1- Bob has aged like fine wine.

2- We landed Bill the GOAT fkn Zito

I can easily argue had we not been carrying that 10 million anchor we could’ve opened our window sooner and peaked for longer.

Colorado won with fregging Kuemper…we could’ve added or kept some mejor depth like Marchment etc. and I can easily also argue it’s thanks to the magic genius of Bill Zito that has found needles in the haystacks and diamonds in the rough and things have all worked out that this contract hasn’t hindered us as it would have if another GM was handling things.

So yeah, all things considered, just because it’s worked out the last 2 seasons doesn’t negate the fact that it’s still been ultimately a brutal contract for our cap space which has made Zito’s work even harder.
Factually - you’re totally correct.

But I basically ignore those facts because I think there’s a bigger factor involved. The salary cap of the NHL is relatively low, which forces the situation league wide to be fluid, a bit unpredictable, and very much interdependent. Meaning, what happened in the past affects today. Some for good, some for bad.

Bob’s contract (among others) and Q’s situation caused us to get Maurice and Zito. Without that we don’t end up with Tkachuk and Reinhart and the rest. So I cannot look at Bob’s contract in isolation. The thing is fluid and timing is critical… Bob’s contract, now that he’s worth at least half of it, is one of the reasons why we might win the cup. That’s why I don’t care right now, anymore, that he’s paid $10M. Yeah, manage it better next time, but I’m actually happy that it happened. Because see where we are.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Factually - you’re totally correct.

But I basically ignore those facts because I think there’s a bigger factor involved. The salary cap of the NHL is relatively low, which forces the situation league wide to be fluid, a bit unpredictable, and very much interdependent. Meaning, what happened in the past affects today. Some for good, some for bad.

Bob’s contract (among others) and Q’s situation caused us to get Maurice and Zito. Without that we don’t end up with Tkachuk and Reinhart and the rest. So I cannot look at Bob’s contract in isolation. The thing is fluid and timing is critical… Bob’s contract, now that he’s worth at least half of it, is one of the reasons why we might win the cup. That’s why I don’t care right now, anymore, that he’s paid $10M. Yeah, manage it better next time, but I’m actually happy that it happened. Because see where we are.

Fair enough. And yes you’re right, now that he’s playing well and the factors I mentioned have transpired and say we win a cup etc nothing matters. Glad to have him NOW that he’s lights out. But yeah, objectively speaking it’s a brutal contract.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
I got banned from this site for 4 years for losing my sh!t when he was signed. Really when all those horrible contracts were signed in 2019. Worst offseason in panther history by the worst gm in nhl history and bobs was one of the worst nhl contracts ever signed. I couldnt believe most of the people on here defending it. Still cant. And one cup run doesnt change that no matter how amazing it was. But like others said, if we won a cup i obviously wouldnt care anymore.

Reactions: I am not exposed

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
I still believe that Tallon was under the impression that Bob and Panarin were a package deal, as they are such good friends and both leaving Columbus at the same time. I feel that he signed Bob and thought that in the next few hours Panarin would a Panther. Panarin played Tallon, got Bob a big contract, flipped Tallon off, and signed with the Rags.

Just my humble opinion.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
I still believe that Tallon was under the impression that Bob and Panarin were a package deal, as they are such good friends and both leaving Columbus at the same time. I feel that he signed Bob and thought that in the next few hours Panarin would a Panther. Panarin played Tallon, got Bob a big contract, flipped Tallon off, and signed with the Rags.

Just my humble opinion.
Theres absolutely no reason to give tallon the benefit of any doubt ever. If all his other moves were good then maybe. But they were by and large horrible. Egregiously bad with no hindsight necessary.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think Bob’s an amazing goaltender. It’s hard to justify that contract though but Florida has worked their magic. They have made stellar moves the past few seasons.

When you look at the list of goalies making anywhere from 5 - 8.5M there’s a lot of them I would take and the Panthers would be just as good.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I think Bob’s an amazing goaltender. It’s hard to justify that contract though but Florida has worked their magic. They have made stellar moves the past few seasons.

When you look at the list of goalies making anywhere from 5 - 8.5M there’s a lot of them I would take and the Panthers would be just as good.
A Goalie of Bob's quality rarely gets to free agency. We bid against ourselves. Luckily he has been playing well for a while now because after year 2 it was pretty bleak. But the goalie we have today is who we thought we were getting.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I'll answer the question when his tenure is over

Having said that, I do believe his jersey will get retired in Sunrise

Having said that, what if I told you Luongo's last 2 contracts were worse?

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
If we win it this year and Bob plays like he’s been playing, I don’t give a shit about the past years and will declare this contract worth every f***ing penny.
If we actually were to win a Stanley cup under him I’d personally sculpt a statue outside the arena for him and they could sign him to another 8yr 10per deal for all I care. IDGAF. Retire his number the next day and name the city after him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad