How do the Panthers fans feel about Bob’s contract now ?

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Still a massive overpay. For too inconsistent. Shouldn't be paying that much for a goaltender.

He's doing better/looking like better value now because of a better defensive system. But lets not forget he didn't even start the playoffs last year. And it was Lyons stretch of good play that got us into the playoffs last year.

Also, our backup goaltender has better numbers this season.

But he is looking finally like a number 1 this season. Took too long for that to happen. And as stated, the defensive system improving has coincided with that.

I don't think this is a fair critique of Bob. He played 58 games. With a larger sample size, Stolarz' numbers wouldn't look as good.

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I don't think this is a fair critique of Bob. He played 58 games. With a larger sample size, Stolarz' numbers wouldn't look as good.

That's fair. And I think an increased workload would impact Stolarz. Hence why he has been a backup NHL goaltender his whole career.

Bob has the fitness to take the workload.

Just pointing out it is more of a difference in defensive structure that has made the difference.

Reactions: harv33173

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
That's fair. And I think an increased workload would impact Stolarz. Hence why he has been a backup NHL goaltender his whole career.

Bob has the fitness to take the workload.

Just pointing out it is more of a difference in defensive structure that has made the difference.

I do agree that defensive structure played a role in the turnaround, but I don't think we can just point to one thing and say "that's it!" Don't forget Zito established a goaltending excellence department - perhaps the effects of that are being felt now? Additionally, Bob likely feels a lot more confidence with this coaching staff vs Q. There's probably a lot that went into him turning his career around. Either way, we are benefiting.

Reactions: VIMMM and harv33173

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017

Agree with this. I'm a fan of Big Tony, and if the Panthers move Bob, I would be comfortable giving Stolarz a tryout in the starter's crease.

But... he's had the easier assignments this season.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
He has been better than good for 3 seasons now.

But a Cup or a couple Vezinas were the only way that contract ever had a chance of being worth it.

Three years? This year sure, last year he lost his job to Lyon. How is that being good? He was good only in the playoffs. And the President's trophy year he was ok although the team outscored their problems consistently. The first two years he was terrible.

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
Three years? This year sure, last year he lost his job to Lyon. How is that being good? He was good only in the playoffs. And the President's trophy year he was ok although the team outscored their problems consistently. The first two years he was terrible.

Bob was good last season after November/mid December. He lost his job to Lyon because he got the flu (or something) and then Lyon got red hot. Not the same as Bob losing his crease to Driedger for performance, or being benched for Knight in the '21 playoffs.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Bob was good last season after November/mid December. He lost his job to Lyon because he got the flu (or something) and then Lyon got red hot. Not the same as Bob losing his crease to Driedger for performance, or being benched for Knight in the '21 playoffs.

I think this is making excuses for Bob. You don't sit your 10 million dollar investment on the bench because he had a flu and a career third stringer gets hot for a while. Not if you have any confidence in him. Like can you imagine Tampa sitting Vasy because a back-up gets hot? And then starting the back-up in the playoffs? They didn't do that last year when Vasy wasn't even good and when they knew he needed surgery.

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
Like can you imagine Tampa sitting Vasy because a back-up gets hot? And then starting the back-up in the playoffs? They didn't do that last year when Vasy wasn't even good and when they knew he needed surgery.

Well, yes? The problem is Tampa doesn't have a good backup. I see this as being very similar to quarterbacks in football. The old adage is to 'ride the hot hand,' and it results in a great deal of controversy any time a backup quarterback enters a game and plays decently.

I don't think the decision to ride Lyon when he was on fire was much of a reflection on Bob, especially with him recovering from an illness.

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
811F375F-5123-4D1E-AC53-EFAAFBF2E8E5.jpeg

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Getting sick at the end of the season is not losing his job. Lyon got hot and they rode it until he wasn't, 9 games doesnt change that.

Bob has always been our starter whether some want to remember it differently or not. Presidents Trophy, last year, this year, 3 good to great years after 2 horrible ones. He also had 3 head coaches and 3 different defensive styles in 5 years. No surprise a more defensive style has helped Bob and vice versa. Winning 5-4 isn't a long term recipe for anyone's success, personal or team.

Reactions: VIMMM

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Well, yes? The problem is Tampa doesn't have a good backup. I see this as being very similar to quarterbacks in football. The old adage is to 'ride the hot hand,' and it results in a great deal of controversy any time a backup quarterback enters a game and plays decently.

I don't think the decision to ride Lyon when he was on fire was much of a reflection on Bob, especially with him recovering from an illness.
Getting sick at the end of the season is not losing his job. Lyon got hot and they rode it until he wasn't, 9 games doesnt change that.

I don't think Tampa would ever start anyone else in the playoffs other than Vasy, no matter how hot the back-up was. And I doubt Bob was sick anymore at the start of the playoffs after sitting for over two weeks. 10 million dollar players don't get sat in important games.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I always wonder what could have been if Bob was set up for success from the start. Our systems were clearly not suited to his game and there were indications Q didn't care for him much. He's always had the athleticism, seemed like a lot of it was in his head. Guy is money now and I feel so comfortable wit him.

If we can keep him through next year and let Knight marinate some more, maybe even as a backup role, that would be great.

Right I thought I remember that, was kind of surprised by those comments, but makes a lot of sense in hindsight.
What were the indications Q didn’t think highly of him?

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I think this is making excuses for Bob. You don't sit your 10 million dollar investment on the bench because he had a flu and a career third stringer gets hot for a while. Not if you have any confidence in him. Like can you imagine Tampa sitting Vasy because a back-up gets hot? And then starting the back-up in the playoffs? They didn't do that last year when Vasy wasn't even good and when they knew he needed surgery.
Lyon played 9 games, and it had nothing to do with performance.

Reactions: Prominence Problem

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I don't think Tampa would ever start anyone else in the playoffs other than Vasy, no matter how hot the back-up was. And I doubt Bob was sick anymore at the start of the playoffs after sitting for over two weeks. 10 million dollar players don't get sat in important games.
He wasn't sick anymore but the team caught fire and after 7 wins they didn't want to upset the group after qualifying. Lyon was terrible in games 1 and 2, and they never looked back.

If you want to say we don't make the playoffs without Lyon, I would agree, but the reason we would have missed was not because Bob was so bad he lost his job to Lyon, lol.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
He wasn't sick anymore but the team caught fire and after 7 wins they didn't want to upset the group after qualifying. Lyon was terrible in games 1 and 2, and they never looked back.

If you want to say we don't make the playoffs without Lyon, I would agree, but the reason we would have missed was not because Bob was so bad he lost his job to Lyon, lol.

I would definitely call that losing you job, if you can't get it back even when you are healthy and recovered. The other option is that the margin between the starter and back-up is so slim that it's just better to ride the hot hand. Which I think was the case at that point. Can you imagine Tom Brady getting benched for the back-up QB because the back-up was playing well? No, it would've never happened with him. Or with Vasy. And definitely not in the playoffs. It's happened every year, except this one, with Bob.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I would definitely call that losing you job, if you can't get it back even when you are healthy and recovered. The other option is that the margin between the starter and back-up is so slim that it's just better to ride the hot hand. Which I think was the case at that point. Can you imagine Tom Brady getting benched for the back-up QB because the back-up was playing well? No, it would've never happened with him. Or with Vasy. And definitely not in the playoffs. It's happened every year, except this one, with Bob.
Not the best example there. I can remember the backlash when backup Tom took over for Drew because of injury. And kept the job even after he was healthy. But then they still rode Drew off into the sunset moving forward.

Lyon played two playoff games and never played for us again. Bob even lost the first start back and they tidnt go back to Alex.

Stolarz replaced Lyon as our backup this season not as our starter. We chose to pay him more than Lyon got from Detroit for that specific role. If Zito ever considered Lyon the starter that would make no sense.

Unless of course you also feel Stolarz is in actuality not far off from Bob either.

Should we start Stolarz now? Or ride our hot hand as you say.

Bob clearly gives us the best chance to win now and he did then too.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Not the best example there. I can remember the backlash when backup Tom took over for Drew because of injury. And kept the job even after he was healthy. But then they still rode Drew off into the sunset moving forward.

Lyon played two playoff games and never played for us again. Bob even lost the first start back and they tidnt go back to Alex.

Stolarz replaced Lyon as our backup this season not as our starter. We chose to pay him more than Lyon got from Detroit for that specific role. If Zito ever considered Lyon the starter that would make no sense.

Unless of course you also feel Stolarz is in actuality not far off from Bob either.

Should we start Stolarz now? Or ride our hot hand as you say.

Bob clearly gives us the best chance to win now and he did then too.

I haven't talked about this year and there isn't any reason to play Stolarz now, Bob's playing his best hockey in a Panthers jersey. But the first four years, excluding the playoffs last year, sure. That 10 million could've been far better spent on shoring up the defense for example.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I haven't talked about this year and there isn't any reason to play Stolarz now, Bob's playing his best hockey in a Panthers jersey. But the first four years, excluding the playoffs last year, sure. That 10 million could've been far better spent on shoring up the defense for example.
His salary was/is used to justify many strange opinions.

He has always been our starter whether some want to remember it that way or not. 2 terrible years, 2 good ones, and a great season this year.

Not sure why this is even debated.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
The whole thread is about his contract....
The contract has always been a stinker, that hasn't changed since he signed it.

He could win the Cup this year, and its still a terrible contract.

We are discussing his actual performance.

Was Vasys contract good when they lost to the Leafs last season? TB fans bitched all year and are still bitching about how bad it was/is at 9.5 million and he has 3 Cups, lol.

Goalies aren't worth that much. Doesn't mean he has been terrible for the whole thing.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
The contract has always been a stinker, that hasn't changed since he signed it.

He could win the Cup this year, and its still a terrible contract.

We are discussing his actual performance.

Was Vasys contract good when they lost to the Leafs last season? TB bitched all year about how bad it was as 9.5 million and he has 3 Cups, lol.

I'm not discussing that. I'm discussing how his 10 million could've been used elsewhere in a much more efficient way. If Bob was paid 2 million like Hill was last year I wouldn't even mention him as a problem. The expectations are directly related to the amount of money player is making because it affects the entire team.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

we had competent goalies to throw in there and the coaches were desperate to find something to change the dynamic. and goalies do get hot.

I'm not saying he was in the zone but there are such things as extenuating circumstances and for a goalie, one of those is that the team in front of you can't defend. and we couldn't. this is something I've heard goalie commentators such as weekes talk about when discussing bob's career with us.

having said that, I'd be curious to see what the advanced stats looked like between the different goalies. i.e., did the boys perk up and do a better job of protecting the middle with the backups in net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad