how do different hollows affect the way you skate?

Kathryn Tappen

yeah whatever ****
Jun 17, 2013
pretty much a newbie when it comes to this.

what a the difference between 1/2 cuts and others?

ie
is one better for skating faster? which one would I want in that case?

if my skates have already been sharpened to 1/2, is it too late to change to something different?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
A few factors should determine what kind of hollow is likely better for you. Thankfully, there's only ever a small range of 'cuts' to choose from. Vast majority end up in the 'regular' 1/2" hollow.

The shallower cut to that would be 5/8". This allows better glide at the expense of some 'grip' of the ice.

Deeper to 1/2" would be 3/8". This sacrifices glide for grip.

Few skaters opt for 3/8"; it is simply too grippy for most. For yourself, I would suggest trying out the shallower cut at 5/8", which I seem to notice more skaters going towards at higher levels. You may find that you're less fatigued when you skate as there's less 'friction' so to speak when skating/turning/crossovers etc.!

Other factors include weight and ice quality, but I suggest you put those aside and simply try out 5/8" for a while first!

Reactions: LarryO

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
A few factors should determine what kind of hollow is likely better for you. Thankfully, there's only ever a small range of 'cuts' to choose from. Vast majority end up in the 'regular' 1/2" hollow.

The shallower cut to that would be 5/8". This allows better glide at the expense of some 'grip' of the ice.

Deeper to 1/2" would be 3/8". This sacrifices glide for grip.

Few skaters opt for 3/8"; it is simply too grippy for most. For yourself, I would suggest trying out the shallower cut at 5/8", which I seem to notice more skaters going towards at higher levels. You may find that you're less fatigued when you skate as there's less 'friction' so to speak when skating/turning/crossovers etc.!

Other factors include weight and ice quality, but I suggest you put those aside and simply try out 5/8" for a while first!

For years I used a 1/2" cut. That was the "standard cut" and didn't know enough about to change it up.

Then a few months ago, my regular skate-sharpener gave up the business to concentrate on just equipment repair. So I started bouncing around all over town trying out different providers, never really satisfied. Then one day I walked into a shop I hadn't used before, and their standard cut was 5/8", so I went with it. And loved it, for all the reasons you stated above.

So I did some research and turns out I probably should of made the switch several years ago. Playing minor hockey at 155-160 lb,s 1/2" was just fine, but now that I'm heavier (205 lbs), that was really too deep of a cut for me, and I've benefitted from a shallower cut with the increased weight gain.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
5/8" or 1" for me. I prefer less fatigue and at beer league level I don't really have to do any crazy tight turns.

I haven't sharpened my blades in 15 games.

btw I'm 5'7 160lbs.

Joel 67

Nov 17, 2017
There is some science around your weight and playing preferences (speed/glide vs agility, etc.) but at the end of the day it comes down to preference and what feels best. My shop has 7/16” as standard and used that for a while not knowing any better. Once I learned there were differences, I decided that I wanted to be faster as my agility on the ice was already above average for my level of hockey. With each couple of sharpenings I went up a hollow until I found the one that seemed to work best for me.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I didn't mention the finer fractions because, in my opinion, you're not going to notice the swing between +/- 1/16" due to many factors including ice quality, weight difference in the skater, and even quality of the sharpening and sharpening equipment!

DevsFan84

Jul 31, 2007
IMO, the only way you are truly getting a 5/16" every time is if they are using a form dresser and someone who knows what they are doing (Blackstone, specifically- I don't even think Blademaster has a 5/16" diamond wheel) It's so easy to be off such small amount with a quill. With that said, AIREAYE is dead on- I highly doubt most people will notice the difference.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I'm a bigger guy that plays in the south on softer ice. I typically go with a 5/8", I eventually would like to get back to using 3/4". I just started back playing after not playing for 13 years. So my skating is still needing to catch back up to me.

Reactions: LarryO

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
As an extreme example of how height/weight, skating ability, and ice quality all factor in, the rink where I work regularly gets skates come through that are returns or used by the Lightning. The labels indicating that particular player's specs are often still attached and there is a huge range. I've seen recently anywhere from 5/8 Drouin to 1 1/2 (yes, an inch and a half!) for Brewer.

In any given week, across all skill levels, I'd say I do 80% 1/2, 10% 5/8, 5% 3/8, and the last 5% spread across 7/16 or 3/4 or Blademaster flat bottom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad