Kings Article: How DIfferent Will the 2023-24 Los Angeles Kings Roster Look?

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
With a number of players witih expiring contracts, the Los Angeles Kings could look quite different next season. Will they be able to re-sign Gabe Vilardi, Vladislav Gavrikov and Joonas Korpisalo? RIght now, all eyes are on Gavrikov, who spoke with the media on May 4...

Reactions: AbsentMojo

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
From my understanding we have like 9-10 million in space to sign:

- Rasmus Kupari
- Gabe Vilardi
- JAD
- Vladislav Gavrikov
- Joonas Korpisalo

As well as fill in any other holes in the roster. It'll be tough without moving a Iafallo/Moore/Arvidsson.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
Well Vilardi is a top priority signing, Love for Gavi, Korpi to be signed and Arvi staying. But 9-10 isn't much for signing these 3.

Reactions: mysterman2

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
From my understanding we have like 9-10 million in space to sign:

- Rasmus Kupari
- Gabe Vilardi
- JAD
- Vladislav Gavrikov
- Joonas Korpisalo

As well as fill in any other holes in the roster. It'll be tough without moving a Iafallo/Moore/Arvidsson.
From my understanding with all the current members of the organization currently under contract for next year being on the Kings roster...

55-11-9
12-24-33
22-46-19
91-?-34

44-8
50-3
?-26

The Kings have roughly $6.5M in cap space. If you want to assign Petersen back to the Reign for the year it's $7.7 but you have another hole to fill on the roster.

Reactions: DapperDan

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
If Blake does his usual thing the roster will be exactly the same as last year minus whoever he
cant sign loses because he didnt get off his ass and trade any of the variety of surplus contracts he has committed the franchise to.
I'm not optimistic. I just dont think Blake sees what is coming in time to actually get out of the way before it hits him.
I dont want Iafallo Durzi or Walker on this team because those contracts guarantee we cant sign Gavrikov and Korpisalo, both of whom are vastly more important to our future.
Priorities are now right up in Blake's face, lets see what he does.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
If Blake does his usual thing the roster will be exactly the same as last year minus whoever he
cant sign loses because he didnt get off his ass and trade any of the variety of surplus contracts he has committed the franchise to.
I'm not optimistic. I just dont think Blake sees what is coming in time to actually get out of the way before it hits him.
I dont want Iafallo Durzi or Walker on this team because those contracts guarantee we cant sign Gavrikov and Korpisalo, both of whom are vastly more important to our future.
Priorities are now right up in Blake's face, lets see what he does.
yeah he ain't changing shit, let's be honest

unless he can fleece someone or gabe takes the kevin labanc, gavrikov and korpi walk to afford gabe because sunk cost fallacy, spence or bjornfot slide in 3rd pairing, we do the same thing til 24-25 where maybe he can afford to fill a hole

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
We have maneuverability.

After the first round we might be able to sell high on either Iafallo or RV. Personally, I would deal both and promote Kaliyev to the second line. If we didn’t take back salary that would clear ~8 million and allow us to get Gavrikov and Vilardi to long term deals.

Even though Durzi was awful defensively to watch, he did put up 0.5 PPG. He might have value to a team needing offensive from the d-line. Sell him for futures/picks.

Promote Spence.
Promote Clarke.
Promote Bjornfot.
Promote Fagemo.

No more Phaneuf buyout on the books.

Reactions: mysterman2

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
A competent GM would trade Walker, Durzi, one of Iafallo/Moore, and Roy for a 2023 1st. This would clear enough cap/logjam to successfully integrate/re-sign Gavrikov, Spence, Bjornfot, Kaliyev, and Clarke.

Unfortunately, Blake and Luc are still under the delusion that the team as it stood at the end of game six is a contender, so none of that will happen. Instead, we will see Durzi-Roy in all its glory in October followed by another 96-102 point season and first round exit.

Blake will panic in 2024, re-sign Kopitar to a multi year deal, and likely spend whatever cap he has available on a veteran trade/free agent. The team will stagnate or regress again through 2025 or 2026 until someone at AEG finally snores themselves awake and mercifully fires everyone.

At that point the team will be out of assets and prospects, and tied down by a lot of aging players, and not even making the playoffs. The ultimate irony being that Blake and Luc would leave the franchise in the exact same state they fired Dean for a decade prior. Except this time with no Cups.

Cheers.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
A competent GM would trade Walker, Durzi, one of Iafallo/Moore, and Roy for a 2023 1st. This would clear enough cap/logjam to successfully integrate/re-sign Gavrikov, Spence, Bjornfot, Kaliyev, and Clarke.

Unfortunately, Blake and Luc are still under the delusion that the team as it stood at the end of game six is a contender, so none of that will happen. Instead, we will see Durzi-Roy in all its glory in October followed by another 96-102 point season and first round exit.

Blake will panic in 2024, re-sign Kopitar to a multi year deal, and likely spend whatever cap he has available on a veteran trade/free agent. The team will stagnate or regress again through 2025 or 2026 until someone at AEG finally snores themselves awake and mercifully fires everyone.

At that point the team will be out of assets and prospects, and tied down by a lot of aging players, and not even making the playoffs. The ultimate irony being that Blake and Luc would leave the franchise in the exact same state they fired Dean for a decade prior. Except this time with no Cups.

Cheers.

Not sure I’d trade Roy. He’s a good defenseman and if he was on our third pair with Bjornfot, I think that’d be a big step forward for us. That means re-signing Gavrikov and putting Clarke to his right. Or hell, playing Clarke with Mikey and bumping Drew down a rung.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
5:14 - 'The team is pretty good. There's not a lot of holes that need to be addressed.'

o_O

Guys, we are stuck with Durzi, Walker, and Petersen.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Not sure I’d trade Roy. He’s a good defenseman and if he was on our third pair with Bjornfot, I think that’d be a big step forward for us. That means re-signing Gavrikov and putting Clarke to his right. Or hell, playing Clarke with Mikey and bumping Drew down a rung.
The only way they should even consider trading Roy is if they dont think they can afford his next contract. They could really sell high on him at the moment if they have the desire to get back into the first round.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The only way they should even consider trading Roy is if they dont think they can afford his next contract. They could really sell high on him at the moment if they have the desire to get back into the first round.
That's exactly why Roy is the most likely player to be dealt.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
The excess has to be addressed. My gut tells me that next year will be more of the same.

I'm curious how many of those no longer waiver eligible players will be brought back too.

If they can move Walker and Durzi it should help. Need someone willing tho. I think Durzi is more likely than Walker who has a fairly large cap for what he actually brings.

I think Gav walks. Money is just not there.

Vilardi's contract should eat a lot of the extra cap.

Korpi probably depend on trades.

Next season they will try to hold fort. The season after Kopi can hopefully be resigned cheaper and Pettersen can be bought out.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggyfan

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
You guys are tough on Durzi. Without him the Kings are really soft on D. If they trade him they need to add someone who will actually push back on D. Everyone else is a softy or small except Roy.

• Haha
Reactions: lumbergh

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
You guys are tough on Durzi. Without him the Kings are really soft on D. If they trade him they need to add someone who will actually push back on D. Everyone else is a softy or small except Roy.
Durzi isn’t exactly a physical specimen. The guy actively makes the team worse every time he’s in the lineup. The 2 goals or less streak they went on in March ended the very game he came back from his injury.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Cheers.

A competent GM would have done that a year ago.

An incompetent GM will say "run it back" after getting blown up despite playing not-to-lose, please-god-keep-it-close hockey instead of to their strengths.

A desperate GM will make the above moves nearly 2 years too late after next season starts and get fleeced just to save his job to look like he's doing something while we still have a parade of RHDs and nearly no LHDs or goaltending despite stupid message board fans begging for it since late 2020 While our average age increases but our overall ability decreases. and let's not even talk about development and depreciating assets. The toilet has just started to flush.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
5:14 - 'The team is pretty good. There's not a lot of holes that need to be addressed.'

o_O

Guys, we are stuck with Durzi, Walker, and Petersen.

slaps-LGKbsU-maxresdefault.jpg

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Cheers.
So, for BLuc just like the good ol' days when they were players for the Kings.

I remember being at a party related to the poker tournament in Vegas and Stacia Robitaille going on about how professional the Red Wing organization was, and how well they took care of their players. She was also upset that Dean didn't make some of the players come to the party prior to the start of the tournament. I guess Dean figured playing in the tournament was enough player involvement.

Now the Robitaille's and Blake's have things back to just the way they have always liked them with the Kings.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm also willing to bet AEG is done eating money for Blake's mistakes, so don't expect guys to be bought out or buried, if they can't be traded, they'll just be played, furthering the issues.

Reactions: jgs and Telos

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Kings could trade Roy and get back a 1st to recoup some the massive amount of youth/picks traded the last two years. But it would be an admission that they aren’t a true contender, and every move Blake has made since the summer of 2021 has been a move a contender would make. You can’t really declare yourself a contender by trading 1sts and an elite prospect for rentals and wingers and then turn around and trade a valuable piece like Roy for a pick.

If they can’t sign Gavrikov they will probably try and extend Roy. If they sign Gavrikov they will roll with Roy because they think this is a contending year and that’s the type of decision a contending GM makes. They will either make the playoffs and lose to Edmonton or Vegas and Roy walks for nothing(most likely) or they are out of it at the deadline and Blake trades him to a true contender at the deadline.

So, for BLuc just like the good ol' days when they were players for the Kings.

I remember being at a party related to the poker tournament in Vegas and Stacia Robitaille going on about how professional the Red Wing organization was, and how well they took care of their players. She was also upset that Dean didn't make some of the players come to the party prior to the start of the tournament. I guess Dean figured playing in the tournament was enough player involvement.

Now the Robitaille's and Blake's have things back to just the way they have always liked them with the Kings.

1683325232266.png

Reactions: KINGS17

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm also willing to bet AEG is done eating money for Blake's mistakes, so don't expect guys to be bought out or buried, if they can't be traded, they'll just be played, furthering the issues.
Man, I hope Doughty asks for a trade and blows this whole charade up. Two or three more games and Toronto might be really desperate.

We can take Muzzin and Murray off their hands and maybe Nylander, and all it will cost them is a couple of good prospects and a first round pick. We can put Muzzin back on LTIR which will open up a spot for a deserving young defenseman and Murray can play behind this crappy team, and if he does any good we can move him out at the deadline.

Enough of the "We're still good." BS.

...and if Kopitar doesn't like it he can ask to be traded too. C'mon Doughty do the right thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad