How did you become a fan of the Leafs???

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I am a third generation Leafs fan. My grandfather became a wheat farmer on the family homestead in Western Saskatchewan. Times were hard for the family in the Dirty Thirties. The fields dried up from drought and much of the topsoil blew away in the dry winds. There was almost no market for what wheat could be grown and one of the ancestor institutions of Canada Trust seized half the family farm. The other half they could not get because my grandfather had put it in my grandmother's name. One of the few joys in those grim days was for my grandfather and my father, then a boy, to listen every Saturday night to Foster Hewitt braodcasting the Leafs game from the Gondola in Maple Leaf Gardens. "Hello Canada and hockey fans in the United States and Newfoundland!" It is entirely possible that they listened to the very first Hockey Night in Canada in 1931 and they missed very few thereafter.

When I came along, my Dad used to tell me stories about the Leaf teams of the Thirties. He was a natural storyteller and I grew up hearing about King Clancy and how he would start fights that Red Horner would finish. He described the "Kid Line," the artistry of Joe Primeau, the scoring knack of Busher Jackson and the sheer power of Charlie Conacher. His stories were so vivid that I was in my late teens before I realized that he had never actually seen any of those Leafs play. But the magic of radio, the skill of Foster Hewitt and something wonderful about the Leafs of that era made the stories come alive in his mind and through him in mine.

During World War II, my Dad was a student at the University of Toronto. Intercollegiate competition had been suspended during the War but the university was full of young men on a variety of short courses. Consequently, there was a lively and highly competitive intramural league. My Dad's college was coached by one of the heroes of the earlier Leaf teams, Hall of Famer Red Horner. They won the league championship and Dad centred the top line which led the league in scoring. I expect some of the stories came not from Foster Hewitt's broadcasts but from those days playing for Red Horner.

By the time I was born, my family was living in Ontario and I was raised in the Toronto area. In the spring of 1959, two things happened. The first was that our family bought a TV, largely to watch Hockey Night in Canada I think, and I would sit with my Dad to watch the Leafs play. History does repeat itself from time to time. The other was that the Leafs, who had suffered through a mediocre spell after the 1951 Cup, had begun to wake up and emerge as a force. That spring the Leafs made a nearly miraculous run to catch the Rangers for the final playoff spot on the last day of the season, fourth place in the days of the Original Six. They even made the Cup finals before losing to the powerhouse Canadiens of the era. Excitment! I was hooked. The next few years I watched as Punch Imlach put together the team that would win four Cups in the sixties. It was fascinating to see them bring up and develop young stars like Brewer, Mahovlich and Keon and acquire key veterans like, Kelly, Bower and Allan Stanley. Actually, I am getting a feeling in my bones that the Leafs may at last be doing it again. I hope so. I would like to be able to change my handle!

In due time, I had two sons of my own and more often than not when they were small, Saturday night still centred around the Leafs on Hockey Night in Canada. We had a connection with Mrs. Dodo Imlach, Punch's widow and one day Mrs. Imlach, who was a very gracious and generous lady, decided to give the boys the prime tickets that she still had from Punch's day. From a very close viewpoint, the boys saw Doug Gilmour score his 1000th point, twice, in fact, since the first goal was waved off. Two more fans confirmed.

I have two grandchildren now, aged six and four. They live far away and I can't watch games with them. But now that I think about it, maybe this is a good time to buy them their first sweaters, for the upcoming season that will be the first step on the way to what I hope will be another Cup while I am still above ground.

Great post.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I didn't even know Toronto had an NHL team. :dunno: I was flipping channels, (Survivor Australia JUST finished airing, Tina won, and I was bored). I saw hockey (I knew what that was ;) - I was a huge fan of Olympic hockey but that was every 4 years). There was a blue team from Toronto (oooh, said I), and a white team from Ottawa), (Ahh, went I). I literally said, "The team that wins today, I'll cheer for that team"

Mats Sundin winds up, hesitates, slaps the puck home, post (clink!) and in, and I was a fan for life.

I researched EVERYTHING I could the next day. it was great.

I still remember where I was that game. I went to the Blue Jays game that day, and didn't get back to my house until the 3rd period
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TOR/TOR200104130.shtml

Was already a Leafs fan though, for as long as I can possibly remember every Saturday Night I would be allowed to watch two periods before bed time. Was probably around 1995 my first clear memories. But I ended up cheering for the team that "just happened" to always be there.

reza87

Jun 29, 2010
Immigrated to Canada and I wanted to fit in because all the other kids at school were Leafs fans...wish I was more of a non-conformist growing up, it would have saved me a lot of heartbreak but there's nothing we can do about that now.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Immigrated to Canada and I wanted to fit in because all the other kids at school were Leafs fans...wish I was more of a non-conformist growing up, it would have saved me a lot of heartbreak but there's nothing we can do about that now.

It'll pay off soon enough.

Omidvaram.

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
When the AHL St.Catharines Saints hit town in 1982.
A year after I washed upon St.Cretins foul shores.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I am a third generation Leafs fan. My grandfather became a wheat farmer on the family homestead in Western Saskatchewan. Times were hard for the family in the Dirty Thirties. The fields dried up from drought and much of the topsoil blew away in the dry winds. There was almost no market for what wheat could be grown and one of the ancestor institutions of Canada Trust seized half the family farm. The other half they could not get because my grandfather had put it in my grandmother's name. One of the few joys in those grim days was for my grandfather and my father, then a boy, to listen every Saturday night to Foster Hewitt braodcasting the Leafs game from the Gondola in Maple Leaf Gardens. "Hello Canada and hockey fans in the United States and Newfoundland!" It is entirely possible that they listened to the very first Hockey Night in Canada in 1931 and they missed very few thereafter.

When I came along, my Dad used to tell me stories about the Leaf teams of the Thirties. He was a natural storyteller and I grew up hearing about King Clancy and how he would start fights that Red Horner would finish. He described the "Kid Line," the artistry of Joe Primeau, the scoring knack of Busher Jackson and the sheer power of Charlie Conacher. His stories were so vivid that I was in my late teens before I realized that he had never actually seen any of those Leafs play. But the magic of radio, the skill of Foster Hewitt and something wonderful about the Leafs of that era made the stories come alive in his mind and through him in mine.

During World War II, my Dad was a student at the University of Toronto. Intercollegiate competition had been suspended during the War but the university was full of young men on a variety of short courses. Consequently, there was a lively and highly competitive intramural league. My Dad's college was coached by one of the heroes of the earlier Leaf teams, Hall of Famer Red Horner. They won the league championship and Dad centred the top line which led the league in scoring. I expect some of the stories came not from Foster Hewitt's broadcasts but from those days playing for Red Horner.

By the time I was born, my family was living in Ontario and I was raised in the Toronto area. In the spring of 1959, two things happened. The first was that our family bought a TV, largely to watch Hockey Night in Canada I think, and I would sit with my Dad to watch the Leafs play. History does repeat itself from time to time. The other was that the Leafs, who had suffered through a mediocre spell after the 1951 Cup, had begun to wake up and emerge as a force. That spring the Leafs made a nearly miraculous run to catch the Rangers for the final playoff spot on the last day of the season, fourth place in the days of the Original Six. They even made the Cup finals before losing to the powerhouse Canadiens of the era. Excitment! I was hooked. The next few years I watched as Punch Imlach put together the team that would win four Cups in the sixties. It was fascinating to see them bring up and develop young stars like Brewer, Mahovlich and Keon and acquire key veterans like, Kelly, Bower and Allan Stanley. Actually, I am getting a feeling in my bones that the Leafs may at last be doing it again. I hope so. I would like to be able to change my handle!

In due time, I had two sons of my own and more often than not when they were small, Saturday night still centred around the Leafs on Hockey Night in Canada. We had a connection with Mrs. Dodo Imlach, Punch's widow and one day Mrs. Imlach, who was a very gracious and generous lady, decided to give the boys the prime tickets that she still had from Punch's day. From a very close viewpoint, the boys saw Doug Gilmour score his 1000th point, twice, in fact, since the first goal was waved off. Two more fans confirmed.

I have two grandchildren now, aged six and four. They live far away and I can't watch games with them. But now that I think about it, maybe this is a good time to buy them their first sweaters, for the upcoming season that will be the first step on the way to what I hope will be another Cup while I am still above ground.

Wow so many similar things....I grew up listening to games on the radio with my grandfather who was a Leaf fan who saved money to go to games. I have a picture with him and me at the Gardens during the 62 playoffs....it was my first Leaf game and I remember very little as I was just 3 and 1/2 years old.

My Dad went to many games with his father and I went with my Dad to a 67 Stanley cup game and I was hooked. My Dad took me to the parade that year and my uncle ( Moe Galland)got me a picture with his friend Ron Ellis. I later got an Ellis Jersey and a stick as well.

I listened to all the leafs games on a transistor radio with the ear phone in my ear well past my bed time when I was growing up. I went to many games at the Gardens over the years and every time I think of Keon it still gives me goosebumps...he was my idol and to this day the best Leaf I have ever seen play the game.

I have two kids who are both Leaf fans as well as 2 grandchildren and one on the way, who all have signed Rielly Jerseys and I hope that they will be Leaf fans.

I have a deep love for the game of hockey and coached for many years. I had the pleasure of coaching so find young players over the years and hope that my kids feel the same way about hockey that I do.

I do think that times are looking up I must say!

Last edited:

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
In the 92-93 season and remembered Dougie's 127-point season. The playoffs itself was awesome with everyone contributing at full capacity.

I, along with pretty much everyone else, felt that the Leafs would win their first cup since 67. Beating Detroit in round 1, St Louis in round 2, and looked better than LA in round 3 despite losing. Oh well, LA was unsurprisingly crushed against Montreal and there's not much that can be done about that...

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
13mdcx.jpg

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Age 3-10 I was a huge Gretzky fan and loved the Oilers dynasty and all the guys on that team.

My dad loved the leafs and I made fun of him because they always kinda stunk and struggled to make the playoffs even when there were only 21 teams in the league.

Wendel Clark was drafted, I fell in love with him ... his heart, tenacity, dropping the gloves with anyone, anytime, scoring game tying goals, OT game winners, etc.

The rest is history, I've been a Leaf fan ever since.

Due North

Mar 16, 2010
I grew up in Welland Ont which has a large French Canadian population. All the French Canadians were Hab fans and the rest were Leaf fans. In those days in the 60's it was mostly Toronto and Montreal winning cups so it was easy following the Leafs.
So I grew up watching Frank Mahovlich, Dave Keon, Tim Horton, Johnny Bower etc
play on Saturday nights.:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad