How did HF Boards start on 2/27/2002 ?

devils30

New Jersey Devils
Jan 16, 2011
NJ
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I feel like it counts as hockey history since this site IS hockey and I have a question about history...

How did this great site start? I see that a ton of people joined on 2/27/2002... how did this happen? I got really curious, hopefully someone can fill me in.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I feel like it counts as hockey history since this site IS hockey and I have a question about history...

How did this great site start? I see that a ton of people joined on 2/27/2002... how did this happen? I got really curious, hopefully someone can fill me in.

It had been around for many years prior using a different style of message board. That is the date is went vBB.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
HF has also been a good alternative over the years for posters who belonged to other communities who either saw a drop in traffic or a rise in a-hole moderators.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It's far from "alternative" now though... as far as I'm concerned, it's THE place to be if you want to talk hockey. Particularly this section.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
My knowledge of this site goes back into the mid/late 90's. I remember reading about the Flyers draft pick in 98 - one Simon Gagne - for example.

I posted on the old forums (which were completely archaic by today's standards) at least as early as that. I'm thinking maybe even as many as 2 years earlier than that, but don't recall for sure.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
What I remember is this:

Around 1998 or 1999, hockeyboards.com was the biggest and best place to go to talk hockey on the net. Much like this site, it was organized with team boards, a league board, an off-topic board, etc, etc.

They then merged with a larger sports site called fanhome.com and upgraded the board and probably became even more popular for awhile. However, after only a year or so, they again merged with another sports site, scout.com (I think).

At that point, it was too many changes in too short a time and the site's popularity died almost overnight. It was a real lesson in how fickle internet users can be, really; it went from top dog to being a ghost town in no time.

At any rate, a lot of the users (including me) who were at that time dissatisfied with fanhome/scout migrated over to HFboards.com. That was around 2002 or 2003. It was that influx of users that really boosted HFboards to where it is now. Whereas, before that, it was a very minor player in the hockey messageboard community.

I still recognize a number of usernames here from the hockeyboards days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad