How Come...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorrillaunit18

How come the canadians want to put a restriction on the amount of americans in their leagues but the NCAA doesnt put one on the number of Canadians...Does anyone else think that the Canadians should stay in Canada and play in their OWN country and quit taking the americans spots? I mean all I ever hear is the Canadians say how good their leagues are, so why dont they play in their own leagues?

leafaholix*

us88team said:
How come the canadians want to put a restriction on the amount of americans in their leagues but the NCAA doesnt put one on the number of Canadians...Does anyone else think that the Canadians should stay in Canada and play in their OWN country and quit taking the americans spots? I mean all I ever hear is the Canadians say how good their leagues are, so why dont they play in their own leagues?
Education?

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
A number of reasons... 1. colleges don't discriminate academically, so they cannot athletically either.

2. Canada has major junior pro teams (OHL, WHL, QMJHL), the better option in the US is collegiate hockey

3. the biggest reason is there are far more Canadian hockey players than American, so natives naturally get preferrence

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
us88team said:
It's not "Canadians" per sai....it's more like the CHA, and Bob Nicholson...but even then, it's only a thought that likely won't come to fruition.

And why start a thread like this anyways? Are you TRYING to start a fight, or are you looking for some serious discussion here, because the way you've come across is as someone who is looking for a fight

leafaholix*

And the quality of NCAA hockey would drop tremendously without Canadian players.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I'm not sure what you are mad at but the fact is there are a lot of high quality Canadian hockey players and some of them want to play NCAA hockey and the NCAA schools are very happy to have them.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Then why don't you move up there!
BobMarleyNYR said:
Actually everything Canadian is better... yes I'm a traitor, but I don't care 'cause it's true.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
Education is probably the major reason for Canadians wanting to go to the US Colleges.

Had I myself been in the position of deciding to play in the WHL or wait until college, I'd probably go the college route simply based on that fact.

Maverick

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
The way the CHL works these days, education isn't really a factor in the choice of whether a Canadian plays NCAA or CHL. For the better players in the OHL for instance (since I'm more familiar with it than the other leagues), you receive a set amount, usually plenty to cover tuition costs and books, for each year you play for the team. You can put this "scholarship" money towards any Canadian school you decide you want to go to. So the CHL basically pays for your schooling, same as an NCAA scholarship would.

I think a major factor in this type of decision would be how physically mature and ready for the next step the player is at 16. If he's ready, he'll likely want the greater challenge of playing in the CHL. If he's more of a late bloomer, he'll likely wait a year playing tier II junior, then head down to the NCAA.

Just my opinion.

-Mav

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
The CHL is basically a product of Hockey Canada. Hockey Canada's main objective is to help Canadian hockey. Therefore, they would want as many Canadian players as possible in its league.

The NCAA is not run by USA Hockey. USA Hockey might play a large role in it, but they still have to adhere to the rules put forth by the NCAA which are universal, and they don't allow for these kinds of restrictions.

The CHL has the authority to make these kids of restrictions, the NCAA doesn't.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
Maverick said:
The way the CHL works these days, education isn't really a factor in the choice of whether a Canadian plays NCAA or CHL. For the better players in the OHL for instance (since I'm more familiar with it than the other leagues), you receive a set amount, usually plenty to cover tuition costs and books, for each year you play for the team. You can put this "scholarship" money towards any Canadian school you decide you want to go to. So the CHL basically pays for your schooling, same as an NCAA scholarship would.

I think a major factor in this type of decision would be how physically mature and ready for the next step the player is at 16. If he's ready, he'll likely want the greater challenge of playing in the CHL. If he's more of a late bloomer, he'll likely wait a year playing tier II junior, then head down to the NCAA.

Just my opinion.

-Mav

Point taken. And I'm sure that a significant majority of the decisions are made based on level of maturity, growth, etc.

In terms of the OHL's tuition compensation system, I believe the same goes for the WHL, they match 1 year of university for every year of WHL play. It is a very good program to have in place.

This is totally a personal preference. If I had an opportunity to play US college hockey on a scholarship, I'd be interested in looking for the best education possible, and as much as I love my university, I'd be interested in looking into the potentially better education I'd be able to receive in the US.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
mymkovski said:
Point taken. And I'm sure that a significant majority of the decisions are made based on level of maturity, growth, etc.

In terms of the OHL's tuition compensation system, I believe the same goes for the WHL, they match 1 year of university for every year of WHL play. It is a very good program to have in place.

This is totally a personal preference. If I had an opportunity to play US college hockey on a scholarship, I'd be interested in looking for the best education possible, and as much as I love my university, I'd be interested in looking into the potentially better education I'd be able to receive in the US.

You seem to think a US university is automatically better than Canadian?

Anyway I will say that I know alot of people who have gone to the states for Basketball, Hockey, and a few other sports, on scholarships and have come back after a year. It's not for everyone, and it really depends on the school you go to. Some schools are very strong on education and really care about their players getting their education, but some aren't and usually there can be alot of "strings" attached.

However, personally if I was a top player in my age group, in that I was projected as a 1st round pick etc. I would also consider the US college route. Not that I would go for sure but I'd think about it, even just 1 or 2 years at a university can really help you grow as a individual.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Why doesn't anyone play in the CIS if they're canadian? I mean the level of play is really strong there and last I heard I don't think there's an age restriction or anything. Imagine the level of scouting in that particular league if all Canadian players deciding to take the college route stays in Canada.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Boomhower said:
A lot of the top CIS teams are primarily made up of former CHL players, whos educations are being paid for by their former teams.

Exactly, which is why the level is so high. But if you're one hell of a tier-2 player and a good student, can you get a scholarship in a canadian university? Is there any program that allows that?

espo*

I don't see the big deal,we allow ncaa players(American ones too) to play chl hockey even if they have already played ncaa but the ncaa won't let guys who have played even one game in the chl to play ncaa.There seem to be some limiting attitudes out there on both sides.Also,if the U.S had the required amount of high level players to fill out all their hockey programs you can be sure no Canadians or very few would exist in ncaa hockey.They use them because they need them,if they did'nt,the ncaa would'nt be so friendly to foreign talent.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
MentalPowerHouse said:
You seem to think a US university is automatically better than Canadian?

Take a look at global University rankings...I don't think I need to think...I know.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
mymkovski said:
Take a look at global University rankings...I don't think I need to think...I know.

It makes sense that when you have 10 times as many universities, your top ones are going to be better. Canada certainly has no universities with the reputation of Princeton/Harvard, etc.

However, I think it's fair to say our average university education is as good as the average US university education. Are you inferring something different?

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
thomasincanada said:
It makes sense that when you have 10 times as many universities, your top ones are going to be better. Canada certainly has no universities with the reputation of Princeton/Harvard, etc.

However, I think it's fair to say our average university education is as good as the average US university education. Are you inferring something different?

Although we're getting quite off topic, and this more of a Lounge topic...I'll continue as I pretty much started this tangent....

I would say our top schools (U of T, the rest of the top Ontario ones, UBC, McGill, a couple others) can compete in certain areas (Business, Medicine, Law)...however as a whole, I would say that the US universities are better. And the reason is quite simple, and its Funding; not the number of universities, which of course does help the cause. US tuitions are higher, and US universities receive a lot of money via corporate sponsors.

Now, I would say Canadian universities are more accessible by more of the population here in Canada than compared against the American universities. This is the major advantage of the Canadian post-secondary system has over the American system.

But unless you can go to one of those previously mentioned Canadian universites, which I am not (I'm at University of Manitoba), than I would rather be in a US university.

Thats where I stand on that. So to relate it to hockey, unless I knew I'd be able to take courses at UBC or U of T, etc with the tuition money provided by the WHL; I'd rather wait until I was done high school and try and go to an American university.

Plus there is an intangible benefit for taking post-secondary education away from your home.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
This is getting off-topic, and I *could* go into a speil about the haves and have-nots in the US and how it affects their education. The education comparison is very much like comparing our medical system and theirs. Plus and minuses to both.

However, I don't want to type it and you probably don't want to read it, so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Tom

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
thomasincanada said:
This is getting off-topic, and I *could* go into a speil about the haves and have-nots in the US and how it affects their education. The education comparison is very much like comparing our medical system and theirs. Plus and minuses to both.

However, I don't want to type it and you probably don't want to read it, so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Tom
Yeah... social healthcare is MUCH better! Screw this capitalism stuff, I'm tired of it! :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad