How Close Were The Habs To Relocating Before Gillette bought them in 2001?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Gillett was recruited by Jeremy Jacobs who had a relationship with him when he owned Channel 38 in Boston that used to carry the games.

That was a bad time economically in Quebec province as the Expos were hanging on dear life. Loria and Samson sniffed at the Habs but decided the property tax that the then Centre Molson was paying made any deal unworkable.

Jean Coutu could have stepped in but he was not willing to help the Molson family in any way.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Very very very unlikely. Other owners would veto such proposal.

McMajorTom

Feb 21, 2018
Very very very unlikely. Other owners would veto such proposal.

So would the provincial (and potentially federal) government, most likely. I can't see a team like the Habs even seriously considering relocating unless the league itself was in dire straits.

Reactions: Thrive

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
How would the governments have had any say?
At a ginormous stretch Eminent Domain maybe.... it would be a complete abuse of the law, and probably still not even legal under that, but that's the closest I thing I could think of as to why the government would have any say, and then comes the question of would the league allow it... and it would be fought through the courts.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
At a ginormous stretch Eminent Domain maybe.... it would be a complete abuse of the law, and probably still not even legal under that, but that's the closest I thing I could think of as to why the government would have any say, and then comes the question of would the league allow it... and it would be fought through the courts.
Interesting.

I don't see a scenario where any of the O6 teams relocate. Not in my lifetime anyway. I'm over 50 but can't tell you what the league/landscape will look like in 50 more years.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
The pre-Gillette, Molson Brewery owned Canadiens didn't negotiate a property tax deal before they built the current arena, oops, so the city had them by the chestnuts and squeezed them hard. They were paying more municipal property tax than all US arenas combined. So if the Canadiens were seriously insolvent to the point relocation deals were being negotiated, there would have been massive political pressure to give them relief (property taxes were over $8 million per year).

There has been some renegotiation on the taxes since, I'm not sure exactly when they got their first relief but at minimum 6-7 years ago it was cut down very low when the current ownership partnered with big developers to throw up a bunch of new officer towers on the property, no way they were going to make that mistake again haha.

The family controlled brewery had been seriously neglecting the club's business, so replacing them Gillette who himself was a good businessman, who in turn brought in competent executives. That along with I assume an eventual tax break, they got the financials in order, modernized the operations and improved the marketing a lot, greatly expanding revenues.

A funny aside, Molson Beer finally got their revenge on the city when instead of renovating their large 250 year brewery beside the port of Montreal, they decided to build a new one on the other side of the river in a separate suburban municipality. The company's lawyers and executives who fought that big tax battle with city hall must've been popping bottles when that decision was reached, long time coming for them.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The league would be able to block a sale if Gillette wanted to move them. Very strong likelihood the league would have him sign a 7 year non-relocation agreement and by 2008, the salary was in place plus the Canadian dollar rebounded so a move would have made no sense.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
the prospective owner would have taken the league to court & won. The league can't stop a relocation if an owner is determined to do so.

I'd be surprised. Remember when you purchase a team you buy into a franchise model. In such arrangements it's common to have territorial and ownership sale restrictions. I'm sure NHL has strong contractual safeguards to maintain the right of approval in any sale/relocation. Could you imagine if a sheikh purchased and relocated a team to Dubai? Don't think other teams would be very happy.

Popularity of a team like Montreal fills extra seats across arenas. In the best interest of other owners to protect the brand. If the actual owner was in serious financial trouble and had to go belly-up, league would simply purchase the team.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
So would the provincial (and potentially federal) government, most likely. I can't see a team like the Habs even seriously considering relocating unless the league itself was in dire straits.
The Cleveland Browns left and they had just as much history. So did the Washington Senators.
Would NBA consider relocating Celtics? Would MLB consider relocating Cardinals? Never happening.
The Celtics almost left for Long Island and Los Angeles @Fenway

Reactions: SImpelton

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
It's funny how today all the fans in Canada are kicking and screaming to get the sunbelt teams to relocate yet when we bring this up all of them get ultra defensive.
Winnipeg and Quebec were making billions playing in those great arenas and stolen by evil Gary Bettman while Atlanta had zero fans and had to move.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
It's funny how today all the fans in Canada are kicking and screaming to get the sunbelt teams to relocate yet when we bring this up all of them get ultra defensive.

People saying it wasn't close to happening are getting defensive? I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

Looks like attendance was pretty good during these bad times in Montreal.

Montreal Canadiens [NHL] yearly attendance at hockeydb.com

Still averaging over 20,000 per game in the 90s and early 2000s in the NHL's largest capacity arena.

Sunbelt teams and their struggles do not compare to Montreal in anyway shape or form. I am pretty confident in saying they will never rise to the top of the league in revenues and operating profits as Montreal has for several seasons even if they are successful...Tampa is a good example of this - successful yet still one of the bottom-revenue teams in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad