How Can You Become An Immortal? Ask These Jellyfish ...

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
From: The Proceddings of the National Academy of Science (PNAS) > Research Article
Comparative genomics of mortal and immortal cnidarians unveils novel keys behind rejuvenation

Maria Pascual-Torner, Dido Carrero, José G. Pérez-Silva, et.al.

Edited by Vera Gorbunova, University of Rochester; received October 13, 2021; accepted July 6, 2022 by Editorial Board Member Helen M. Blau

August 29, 2022
119 (36) e2118763119 ...

Abstract
Turritopsis dohrnii is the only metazoan able to rejuvenate repeatedly after its medusae reproduce, hinting at biological immortality and challenging our understanding of aging. We present and compare whole-genome assemblies of T. dohrnii and the nonimmortal Turritopsis rubra using automatic and manual annotations, together with the transcriptome of life cycle reversal (LCR) process of T. dohrnii. We have identified variants and expansions of genes associated with replication, DNA repair, telomere maintenance, redox environment, stem cell population, and intercellular communication. ... Accordingly, we propose these factors as key elements in the ability of T. dohrnii to undergo rejuvenation. ...

Only three species within the genera Turritopsis have been reported to rejuvenate after reproduction: Turritopsis dohrnii, Turritopsis sp.5, and Turritopsis sp.2 (9). However, while the latter two sharply drop their reversal capacity after reaching maturity, T. dohrnii is the only one that maintains its high rejuvenation potential (up to 100%) in postreproductive stages, reaching biological immortality (10, 11). ...

In this study, we have sequenced the genomes of T. dohrnii and T. rubra, a closely related species without reported evidence of postreproductive rejuvenation (9) (Fig. 1), and used comparative genomic analyses to identify differential gene variants and amplifications between both species ... .

1662423287123.png

CAPTION: Geographical origin and life cycle diagram of T. rubra (Left) and T. dohrnii (Right). Light blue arrows indicate the typical life cycle while dark blue indicates the alternative ontogeny reversal of T. dohrnii. In this process, the free swimming medusa shrinks until the cyst stage, where all structures from the medusa totally disappear into a homogeneous opaque mass. Later, a stolon starts growing from the cyst and polyp buds appear to become fully grown polyps afterward.

Read more at:

Attachments

• 1662423114021.png
    1662423114021.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
There are a number of amazing species that live so long or don't seem to age, at least as we understand aging. They can live for centuries.

Greenland sharks can live 400-500 years possibly more.
Black Coral have been found that were over 4,000 years old.
Bowhead whales are believed to be the oldest living mammals with some being over 200 years old.
Rougheye Rockfish have specimen that are believed to be over 200 years.
Glass Sponges have examples that are over 10,000 years old.
Ocean quahog clams can reach 500+ years
And like the OP's the Hydra are believed to be able to live forever as they show no signs of aging. That being said they die as they become food pretty easily lol. They are made largely of stem cells which is what allows them to show no sign of deteriorating as they age.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
There are a number of amazing species that live so long or don't seem to age, at least as we understand aging. They can live for centuries. ...
Ocean quahog clams can reach 500+ years ...
Well, that could certainly explain the disappointing Stuffies that my family & I shared in a Newport, R.I. bar back in mid-July. I guess the ancient clams were on sale at the wholesaler that week. :shakehead

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Who would want to be immortal? Getting to next level I've been thinking about for years
What next level?

Would I want to be Immortal hard to answer but I am naturally curious and want to see so much of what the future may hold so living 300 or 400 or 1000 years I would be all in for sure. Maybe actually being immortal would get boring after a while but our solar system, our galaxy and the universe are so vast that I think it would very likely take hundreds of thousands of years to get bored.

Reactions: Hippasus

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
What next level?

Would I want to be Immortal hard to answer but I am naturally curious and want to see so much of what the future may hold so living 300 or 400 or 1000 years I would be all in for sure. Maybe actually being immortal would get boring after a while but our solar system, our galaxy and the universe are so vast that I think it would very likely take hundreds of thousands of years to get bored.
Anxious to see what is beyond this life
What next level?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad