Prospect Info: How can any prospect break into our top 6 now?

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
With Bozak, JVR, Lupul, Clarkson locked in long term, and likely Kessel and Kadri to follow, how can any prospect break into our top 6 in the next 5 years?

We have so much money invested here, that it leaves me wondering what's gonna happen with guys like Colborne, Gauthier, Biggs, Leivo, Ashton, etc. trying to break in to the top 6 in the coming years?

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Just cause we signed them long term doesn't mean they stay long term.

If someone proves they're ready for a larger role than we make room for them. Simple.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
This would be a problem if we had top 6 prospects ready to make the jump.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What likely happens is these prospects break in on the bottom six, and start to put pressure on the top sixers, while we profit on their ELCs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With Bozak, JVR, Lupul, Clarkson locked in long term, and likely Kessel and Kadri to follow, how can any prospect break into our top 6 in the next 5 years?

We have so much money invested here, that it leaves me wondering what's gonna happen with guys like Colborne, Gauthier, Biggs, Leivo, Ashton, etc. trying to break in to the top 6 in the coming years?

Leafs don't have any prospects that project as top 6 forwards in the system.

Better suited for bottom 6 roles based on skill set.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Competition is a good thing. Not bringing them up before they're ready. Carlyle's MO is bringing them up slowly and plugging them in low pressure situations like the 3rd and 4th lines anyway where there are spots available. Did that with Getzlaf and Perry, and with Colborne this past year.

Fabs

Dec 19, 2005
Same way they break into the top 6 on other teams. Besides we don't have any forward prospects even close to making it.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I would hope that they can't. If we have prospects in our top 6, it probably means we're a lottery team.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012

Gauthier is the only one with a glimmer of hope to break into the top 6. However it can happen. I don't see Clarkson finishing that long term deal in a leaf jersey, we could make a move involving a few pieces to change it up however I like the idea that we have a top quality top 6 now save for missing a true #1 Center. Why are you concerned with prospects competing for the top 6? I would be perfectly fine having 3 scoring lines like chicago was running this year, like teams used to in the 90s.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Trade one of them for a good player that we need? if we are lucky enough to have a prospect that is good enough to bump one of our present top 6, then that is an enviable position to be in.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com

Boom, this isn't a Kadri situation, Colborne has not grabbed that iron ring and ran with it, neither has Ross/Biggs/McKegg etc.

On defence? We may have another story, Rielly seems ready after another strong training camp I'd say. Just no more Kostka

Phaneuf
Rielly
Gardiner
Gunnarsson
Fraser
Franson
Liles

With that lineup, it does look like MoRiles will be waiting another year, with Holzer being used on the come up for injuries.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Well, it's fine for 2 reasons.

1. We don't really have any top-6 prospects besides a few long shots (Biggs, Ashton, Leivo, Colborne)
2. We didn't sign any top 3 players today, just 10 million worth of 3rd liners.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
With the way Carlyle likes to match and switch his lines around, he will slide guys like Clarkson up and down the line-up, and if a young gun takes a top-6 role and runs with it (like Kadri did last year) he'll earn a job.

Ace88*

Guys our top 6 is too good for my liking, we should of left some room for our extremely mediocre prospects

Lol this. We win games with our roster players not our prospects. Besides, only Leivo, colborne, and maybe gauthier have any remote chance at top 6 roles. even then it is a lo.g shot for all of them.

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
Just cause we signed them long term doesn't mean they stay long term.

If someone proves they're ready for a larger role than we make room for them. Simple.

I agree on both points. Fight for your job, it's plainly simple.
At the current point, we don't really have anyone worthy of making that fight worthwhile.

GameOverLeafsWin

Jul 10, 2009
There is a 3rd line left wing open. ???? - Bolland - Kulimen edited; sorry wrote clarkson when I meant bolland.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad