How are you feeling about Tavares these days?

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I hope to god that Treliving has the balls to cut ties with Tavares and not even bring him back on a discount. Let him hit the market.

He's just gotten to slow and ineffective 5 on 5 that he makes the team considerably worse. His line is always getting caved , he doesn't move the needle as a Captain or 2nd line offensive center. He was decent , he can win faceoffs and make some nice plays on the PP. Scored some clutch goals. But they were few and far between. He's just a slow opportunist now that can't play a lick of defense, doesn't scrap and can't hit. I saw him try to hit someone in the D zone the other game and it did nothing.

Ontop of his contract totally handcuffing the GM from rounding out the roster properly.

This team will only become successful once Tavares is removed from the equation. I've been of this opinion for a while. Hate to be right , it's killing the team.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Ontop of his contract totally handcuffing the GM from rounding out the roster properly.

This team will only become successful once Tavares is removed from the equation. I've been of this opinion for a while. Hate to be right , it's killing the team.

Agree with your post for the most part.

8 million on Samsanov and Klingberg this offseason... we are just a Kampf and Reaves away from the Tavares contract.

Not sure the GM would have rounded out the team properly.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
1 PPG in 4 playoff games is pretty disappointing. I'd be open to resigning him to be our #3LW at $2m. Tavares Minten Marner if Marner survives this summer and is willing to sign for a reasonable number.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He did his job as a marquee free agent signed well into his 30s. The final few seasons of that deal were always going to be tough.

They just didn't build a good enough team around him.
Yup, they blew the first 3-4 years of the deal completely, that was the window. He was supposed to be what the Hossa addition was to the Hawks.

Also, for what it's worth, he has actually been pretty solid defensively in the latter part of his deal, despite what people may want to believe. He's been leaned on quite heavily by Keefe as a matchup C these past couple of seasons, and even in this series he's taken the brunt of the Pastrnak matchup, and has only been on the ice for 1 goal against at 5v5. Problem is that he is not at a level anymore where he can take on hard defensive assignments and still generate offense, it is just not something he is capable of anymore.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Somehow team needs to start afresh and rebuild without JT and Mitch .. these guys are flat out too SLOW in playoffs .. neither has another gear to move into .. they are both trying their best but bottom line they can't compete when it matters .. Matty on the other hand did in games 1 and 2 but clearly this norovirus shut him down past 2 games .. Willy well clearly something is not right last game but he did sit out 1st 3 games so I am going to give him a pass on getting back up to game speed .. but before anything is done with roster we NEED a new MANAGER for da team .. Shanny needs to be sacked and a new leader hired

Reactions: CincoHolio

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Also, for what it's worth, he has actually been pretty solid defensively in the latter part of his deal, despite what people may want to believe. He's been leaned on quite heavily by Keefe as a matchup C these past couple of seasons, and even in this series he's taken the brunt of the Pastrnak matchup, and has only been on the ice for 1 goal against at 5v5. Problem is that he is not at a level anymore where he can take on hard defensive assignments and still generate offense, it is just not something he is capable of anymore.
To be fair to JT, this appears to be true from the analytics as well.

He was a black hole defensively his entire career, through 2021 but his metrics have been ticking up since then: 19%, 27%, 57% on Jfresh's model the last three seasons. I would have scoffed at your post had I not fact-checked it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Tavares ever wanted to show some emotional fire, these elimination games are a good as time as any. But probably not.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
He's in the sunset phase of his career and can't carry a line anymore. He didn't have good foot speed even in his prime but made up for it with hands, strength on the boards and puck possession. Lack of mobility now is really hurting him.

I don't see how you bring him back in any role after his contract is up. He's too slow to play center , and likely shouldn't be on a scoring line. Maybe depth 3lw?
What I don't really understand is how badly he handles the puck....I knew he was already slow, but figured he would still have his quick mitts even as he aged out of the league. The sight of him fumbling the puck around when he gets a pass along the boards is pretty stark to me. He also seems like he is hold the stick like a golf club...really high up and he loses leverage when he has to fight for the puck.

Reactions: seventieslord

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
Still one year with no move clause. Is there anything a GM can do? Soak up 5 mil and see if someone takes him for 6?

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
This guy has to be the most uninspiring Captain ever.

Did you see the way he took over. Settled the kids down after their sissy fit. Motivated the team to win.

I didn't see that either.

They need to unload Captain Boat Anchor somehow. There's got to be a way to get rid of this guy. Even if it is after his signing bonus is paid.

Paying Tavares to go away is looking like a better and better idea with each passing day.

I used to think Sundin was an uninspiring Captain too. Especially in his younger years. But that's only because he was surrounded by guys who bled Blue'n'White.

Not only is Tavares uninspiring but so is the rest of the team he's supposed to be leading.

Reactions: seventieslord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad