Online Series: House of Cards

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
New political drama starring Kevin Spacey, Executive Produced by David Fincher. It's based on a British program of the same name and is a Netflix exclusive. The only reason I found out about it was the promo trailer on Netflix after the credits rolled on a movie I watched on there.

It's not getting any play in Canada, not sure about the States, but it looks like it should be a solid production. I know it's Netflix only, but they could run some TV spots at least.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1856010/

Francis Underwood [Kevin Spacey] is Majority Whip. He has his hands on every secret in politics - and is willing to betray them all to become President.

Last edited by a moderator:

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
It seems almost exactly the same as the original, but I don't see how it will spread the 4 episodes of the original over 2 12-episode seasons.

Speaking of which, I highly recommend the original. I only heard about this because I came across it on wikipedia while reading about the original.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
It seems almost exactly the same as the original, but I don't see how it will spread the 4 episodes of the original over 2 12-episode seasons.

Speaking of which, I highly recommend the original. I only heard about this because I came across it on wikipedia while reading about the original.

I'll likely check it out. I agree it's plot and such seem the same, but I like the talent in it. Plus, it should be interesting to see how it develops on Netflix. It seems pretty edgy if you check out "more info" on Netflix.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
it's released. Full season available on netflix, first episode is even free to non-members.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Going to check out the first episode tonight. Kevin Spacey is a great actor so this definitely has my attention. Not to mention Kate Mara is in it, so that can't hurt either ;)

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i just watched the first episode in between sens-canes periods.

very much a pilot episode, introducing the characters and major plot line. Kevin Spacey does an aside to the audience quite frequently, and i'm not sure i really liked it but it may grow on me.

overall, what i expected. Congressman gets screwed by president, congressman plots for revenge all season, young newbie journalist latches on to help, young congressman with personal issues brought on as an ally to help out through a political favor, and strong woman behind the congrassman driving the guy to do what he does. Fairly generic, acting was fine, I'll probably watch it some more later.

the more significant thing about this show is that it is the first netflix-produced show, with a 100M budget. This show very well could've been on cable, as netflix outbid HBO and AMC for it, and the 100M spent shows that interest from the cable side was high as well. It will be very interesting watching how well it does (i assume netflix will publish 'ratings' at some point. This could be the future of TV, and it's going to end up meaning cheaper tv, but also possibly lower quality if the show fails to bring in enough new suscribers and future shows therefore wont get as huge budgets.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
i just watched the first episode in between sens-canes intermissions.

very much a pilot episode, introducing the characters and major plot line. Kevin Spacey does an aside to the audience quite frequently, and i'm not sure i really liked it but it may grow on me.

overall, what i expected. Congressman gets screwed by president, congressman plots for revenge all season, young newbie journalist latches on to help, young congressman with personal issues brought on as an ally to help out through a political favor, and strong woman behind the congrassman driving the guy to do what he does. Fairly generic, acting was fine, I'll probably watch it some more later.

the more significant thing about this show is that it is the first netflix-produced show, with a 100M budget. This show very well could've been on cable, as netflix outbid HBO and AMC for it, and the 100M spent shows that interest from the cable side was high as well. It will be very interesting watching how well it does (i assume netflix will publish 'ratings' at some point. This could be the future of TV, and it's going to end up meaning cheaper tv, but also possibly lower quality if the show fails to bring in enough new suscribers and future shows therefore wont get as huge budgets.

Just finished it, agreed on all points, including your narrative in the last paragraph. Times are certainly changing in the way we get our entertainment.

Will keep going when I can, but one episode is enough for tonight :)

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Watched 3 episodes so far. Awesome series. Very engaging and pulls you into the lives of the characters.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
How do we want to go about running this thread? Considering it's not like a "classic" program and everyone will be watching on their own agenda?

Preface posts with the most recent episode you watched?

I don't know... :dunno:

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario

So this series is already planned to just run 2 seasons?

Habsfan22100

Jul 14, 2009
3 episodes in and I'm absolutely loving the show. Everything is top notch and Spacey is just so damn fun to watch.

Shameus

Jul 1, 2004
Middle of a Migraine
How do we want to go about running this thread? Considering it's not like a "classic" program and everyone will be watching on their own agenda?

Preface posts with the most recent episode you watched?

I don't know... :dunno:

I think first few episodes are fair game. Rest use spoiler tags. I'll say next weekend, 2/9, 1-6 is fair game and the rest use spoiler tags. Following week, 2/16, 1-9 is fair game and the week of 2/23 the whole series is fair game. I think 3 episodes a week is fair and those that go ahead can use spoiler tags and still talk about it. Does this work for everyone?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
watched a couple more today.

it's good, i can see this as a show that wouldve hit 2M overnight every sunday on HBO easily, similar to "the newsroom" ratings.

i'll reserve my comments on the content for later so as not to spoil too much, but i have to say, i'm loving the ability to just sit down and watch when i want to. I'll probably finish the first season by next week, which means waiting a year for the next season, but i'll really enjoy it for the week, rather than waiting every single week for 3 months, possibly having my attention taken away by other shows.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I just finished episode three. Just going to post my thoughts in spoilers. Better safe than sorry...

[spoil] Spacey's character is really starting to grow on me, I love all the games he's playing. What I don't love though is that the only character that seems smart enough to guess his next moves is Kate Mara's character, who I also really enjoy.

Is Spacey playing the woman he's setting up as Secretary of State? Am I supposed to think he's setting her up, do I know he's setting her up, or am I looking too deep here?

I find myself not really caring about Russo and his girlfriend, but I suspect he'll play a major role in Spacey's political game so I'm sure we'll hear more about it [/spoil]

Overall so far, I'm impressed and excited to keep going when I can.

Also, they're not doing Kate Mara any favors with the hair-do they have Zoe Barnes rocking. Kate's a gorgeous girl, and I'm not saying she doesn't still look great with that pony-tail thing going on, but they can do her better :)

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
This thing better not have a big budget. Would be nice if they spent some of their profit putting up some newer movies that don't suck.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Just finished the first season. I am absolutely satisfied by this entire series so far.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Some of us like House of Cards, and quite a few will get Netflix just to watch it.

Thing is that this will lead them to make more series. And maybe this one is good but are they all gonna be? No, there will be dudds and instead of putting that $ into what people originally wanted (a nice mix of good recent and old movies), we'll get productions with name brand celebrities.

I'll be happy if they all work out like this show does but unless Netflix makes a profit that they can prove from this show (sell the rights to broadcast later on or DVD/blu-ray) then I dunno...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad