Hostile crowds

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Rewatching some of Punk recently, the if Punk loses we riot crowd is one of the few moments in recent times where you felt maybe **** could hit the fan in the environment. Which got me curious, what are some of the not necessarily best but most hostile or volatile crowds that people can recall or have examples of.

Obviously the Hogan turn generated some heavy reaction, the likes of the Dudleyz in ECW could create a volatile situation.

Nowadays with the WWE product more child focused things aren't inclined to get so bad, we're also now exposed more to the "business" so the amount of hate generated isn't as extreme, but what examples can people think of where things did go bad or seemed poised to do so?

Last edited:

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Rewatching some of Punk recently, the if Punk loses we riot crowd is one of the few moments in recent times where you felt maybe **** could hit the fan in the environment. Which got me curious, what are some of the not necessarily best but most hostile or volatile crowds that people can recall or have examples of.

Obviously the Hogan turn generated some heavy reaction, the likes of the Dudleyz in ECW could create a volatile situation.

Nowadays with the WWE product more child focused things aren't inclined to get so bad, we're also now exposed more to the "business" so the amount of hate generated isn't as extreme, but what examples can people think of where things did go bad or seemed poised to do so?

I would have thought Reigns beating Styles could be on that level..... seemed like a 'we will riot' moment if ever there was one.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The most hostile wrestling crowd I personally experienced was in 1996 when Vader called all Canadians little pieces of ****. Of course it was nowhere near a riot, but I found Vader's bluntness funny.

Everything I've heard and read indicates that the crowds in Puerto Rico were on a different level with regard to hostility. People jumping the heels with knives, throwing stones at them etc. Pretty much any wrestler or manager who got around in the 1980s and 1990s talks about it. Bret Hart mentions it in his book, as does Freddie Blassie, and Jim Cornette and Dutch Mantel tell good stories about it. The Freebirds used to get huge reactions too, like when they blinded Junkyard Dog and when they fought the Von Erichs. The Horsemen breaking Dusty Rhodes' leg was allegedly similar, but it is difficult to tell on video.

I agree with the previously mentioned Punk Money in the Bank and all of ECW One Night Stand. The shout out to the Dudleys in ECW is appropriate as well. I remember In Your House Canadian Stampede featuring the strongest heel reaction Austin received when he was pretty much beginning of his mega face run. That angle was very hot at the time of course, and Austin attacked Stu Hart with the premier of Alberta just a few seats over. The Michaels promo in Montreal when he faked out the Hart return had great heat too.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
ONS 2006, that whole night WWE guys where getting heat and was a very hostile place. They probably would have actually rioted if Cena had won

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
The Hart Foundation every time they were in the U.S.A. Shawn in Canada during that time.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
RVD-Cena was amazing. That crowd was animalistic and the WWE guys in attendance (Bischoff, JBL, Angle) played the enemy role to perfection.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Anytime Pedro Morales fought someone back in the 70's in New York, Boston, or Philly. Blackjack Mulligan once got stabbed during a match with Pedro at Boston Garden in the 70's.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
RVD-Cena was amazing. That crowd was animalistic and the WWE guys in attendance (Bischoff, JBL, Angle) played the enemy role to perfection.

Angle was a face as he just "signed with ECW" i believe. He wrestled Randy in the opening match, i think.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
I don't think you could get a more hostile than islamic militants trying to drop mortar rounds onto the ring during the last overseas tribute to the troops performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad