Friedman: Horvat Talks Intensifying [Update: Jan 20, 2023 - #679]

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Horvat might end up a better offensive player than ROR, but I think he's got a ways to go to come close to the defensive impact.
Both have shown they are great in the playoffs as well, Of course Horvat with a smaller sample size.
I still remember that Horvat vs Blues Series, He was ridiculous both sides of the ice.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
These comments subtly comparing him to ROR or asking if he’s worth $9 mil aav are unhelpful when evaluating Horvat. He is not ROR and not worth $9 mil.

He isn’t the defensively responsible centre that many thought he’d be when he was drafted. Not that he’s bad but he’s not even the best on the Canucks. If he’s your 1C you won’t win the cup, but if he’s your 2C behind a guy like MacKinnon, then you’re in great shape. He’s a great faceoff guy, very good goal scorer (even before this season and last, keep in mind he played with Tanner Pearson and Loui Eriksson for years and was still a ~30 goal ~60 point centre), and is the ideal complimentary piece. He’s also great on the PP in that net front/bumper spot. He can eat a lot of tough minutes and is obviously well liked/respected/trusted by teammates and coaches.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Both have shown they are great in the playoffs as well, Of course Horvat with a smaller sample size.
I still remember that Horvat vs Blues Series, He was ridiculous both sides of the ice.

If the Avs were healthy I'd be all for a Horvat acquisition. I think he'd look great. I just feel his defensive game has been exaggerated based on draft expectations. However, I do think his offensive game has evolved.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
With what Norris, Thomas and Kyrou have gotten I have no idea why Horvat wouldn’t get that at UFA. Kadri got 7x7 at his age.
Horvat signs an $8mm x 8 year deal or if he can only get seven years. 7 x $8.33mm?

Sound realistic?

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
One thing that needs to be mentioned about Horvat is that other than Bergeron, He might be the best Faceoff guy in the NHL, Nasty in the dot.
I wonder if his defensive game is gonna round out over time, Would be a special player if he ever did.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Columbus makes sense from an on-ice perspective but what is their cap like heading into the next few years? Plenty of space to pay Horvat as your #1 franchise center for the foreseeable future?

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
At the age of 27 ROR put up 77 points in 82 games, which was good for 19th among all centers

He also won the Selke and Conn Smythe that season so.....
To be totally fair to Bo that was also RORs breakout season and he was pretty comparable to him up until that point. That said Horvat will need to continue to build on his hot start to prove that he’s breaking out as well.

Reactions: HabsQC

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
They offered him 5 million LOL. The same team that pays Myers 6 million. Vancouver org has never been good to Bo, from stapling Tanner pearson to his wing to this.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Columbus is most likely the team. They definitely have the need, and should do what it takes to make cap space available. Moving their first this year... that's pretty problematic though. The 2024, that's less of an issue. They've got some trade currency in Gavirkov, and perhaps one of the RD as well.

Reactions: HabsQC and Toe Pick

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Probably. I could see him hitting 9. He’s proven he’s a playoff caliber top six center in his two runs. And is basically good for 30 goals a year plus 50-60 point.
Wow. $9mm x 7 or 8 years would be hard for Vancouver to allocate with their cap issues.

He’s doing a Kadri. Having a monster contract season. Dude is an animal in the faceoff dot. Vancouver should have ample trade opportunities if they pivot down that path with Horvat.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
One thing that needs to be mentioned about Horvat is that other than Bergeron, He might be the best Faceoff guy in the NHL, Nasty in the dot.
I wonder if his defensive game is gonna round out over time, Would be a special player if he ever did.

I'm still puzzled how people keep trying to put Horvat into this mold type of player that he just is not.

He is great on faceoffs , yes, very good. but thats about it in terms of comparisons to Bergeron or ROR.

Horvat is not a 200 ft 2 way Centre. He just is not.

I've never seen someone so mis-casted

Horvat is a 1A/1B scoring Centre who is dominant in faceoffs.

He is not great defensively, he is average to below average on PK and he certainly wont be successful as a matchup Centre.

What u can expect from him is Goals, faceoffs, deflections , greasy goals around the crease. He is very good around the net.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
It really is amazing how often GMs will line up to throw stacks of cash at older players coming off career years.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Ouch, I just hope it isn't my team. Someone getting burned bad overpaying Horvat is almost a dead certainty at this point, teams need to stay as far away as possible.
Thank god the Oilers dont have cap for that. Whatever team pays him 9+ and thinks they will get the player of this year as opposed to the player he has always been will regret the signing. This year is the outlier, not the previous 8 years where he is at best a 25G-35A guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad