Horton or M.Richards

Status
Not open for further replies.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
nally said:
Who projects to have more points as a pool player, including plus minus in their career? Just opinions...I`m aware that Horton probably has more offensive upside, but the plus minus is what concerns me.
If your after a solid plus/minus, go with Richards. Plays on a better team, as for the points, Horton will probably lead the panthers in points this season.

Mr.Brownov*

I love the posters that add players in the prospect section that are already playing in the NHL as rookies or sophomores :shakehead

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Offensively I give the edge to Horton as far as putting points on the board goes. But as for all-around play and plus minus I'll say Richards because he plays a very good all around game and is as responsible as they come in the defensive zone end. Even though he could be a 60-65 point career guy.

Flyer765

Mar 15, 2004
Telford, England
Jim Beam said:
I love the posters that add players in the prospect section that are already playing in the NHL as rookies or sophomores :shakehead

I'm almost certain that Richards can still be classed as a prospect as he hasn't played enough NHL games yet :) , and nobody complains when someone compares a prospect to an existing player.

Towelie*

Horton is a far better player IMO. His defensive play isn't even that bad, and is a +4 on a terrible florida team.

Horton >>>>Richards

IceKatsRHot

Mar 14, 2003
Winter Park
www.hfboards.com
I'm not trying to be a homer here but is this even a fair comparison?

The only reason I can see anyone even attempting to make an argument for Richards to be compared to Horton is that Horton has been hurt a couple of times now in his career that put him back in his development.

Before getting injured this kid was on a tear.

Liquidrage*

IceKatsRHot said:
I'm not trying to be a homer here but is this even a fair comparison?

The only reason I can see anyone even attempting to make an argument for Richards to be compared to Horton is that Horton has been hurt a couple of times now in his career that put him back in his development.

Before getting injured this kid was on a tear.

Why wouldn't it be fair? When has Horton really scored more points? Their point totals were similar in the juniors. Horton got an earlier shot in the NHL and did well. In short stints in the AHL last year, Richards outscored Horton by a good amount.

It's very early in the season and career, but it seems Richards offense was vastly underrated by many. I wouldn't care if he didn't have a point, his vision is incredible and he's looking like a true set up man that can also put it in the net when it's needed. Oh, and he looks like he has the best hockey-smarts of any prospect I've ever seen. It doesn't really add to his "points" here, but this is a kid 5 games into his career *Hitchcock* put out on the ice shothanded 5-3 in a tie game in the 2nd. I mean, this is Hitch we're talking about. Yeah, he scored a goal on that shift.

So to be honest, I'll take my homerism and say I wouldn't trade Richards for Horton straight up or even consider it. Very few prospects I'd take over Richards. Carter isn't even one of them.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Liquidrage said:
Why wouldn't it be fair? When has Horton really scored more points? Their point totals were similar in the juniors. Horton got an earlier shot in the NHL and did well. In short stints in the AHL last year, Richards outscored Horton by a good amount.

It's very early in the season and career, but it seems Richards offense was vastly underrated by many. I wouldn't care if he didn't have a point, his vision is incredible and he's looking like a true set up man that can also put it in the net when it's needed. Oh, and he looks like he has the best hockey-smarts of any prospect I've ever seen. It doesn't really add to his "points" here, but this is a kid 5 games into his career *Hitchcock* put out on the ice shothanded 5-3 in a tie game in the 2nd. I mean, this is Hitch we're talking about. Yeah, he scored a goal on that shift.

So to be honest, I'll take my homerism and say I wouldn't trade Richards for Horton straight up or even consider it. Very few prospects I'd take over Richards. Carter isn't even one of them.
You cant compare there seasons last year, Horton had a busted shoulder, came back and wasnt right.
I think your in the minority when you say you wouldnt even "consider" Richards for Horton. IMO i wouldnt even consider richards + pick for Horton, but then thats being a homer
grin.gif

Transported Upstater

I don't care about the Flyers or the Panthers, and I think Richards is excellent, but I do not believe he is at Horton's level.

Eric Staal is definitely the best Canadian from that draft class bar none (and IMO best player, period, in that draft), but Bergeron, Phaneuf and Horton (not necessarily in that order) are the next in line.

I don't think you can lump Richards in that group, but that's just my opinion.

Remax

Sep 24, 2003
Canada
I say Horton.

Horton is better at putting the puck in the net and has the physical aspect that Richards is not lacking in but doesn't come close to equaling in. He is also solid on defence which he hasn't had much of a chance to show this year but did in his first season and in juniors.

Richards is a better setup man and has been given more of an opportunity in a defensive role than Horton.

You can't compare last years stats because of two things. Injury and the fact that Horton played on one of the worst if not the worst team in the AHL.

The same goes for their OHL careers, Kitchener has been miles ahead of Oshawa in terms of icing a quality team in years.

easton122

May 14, 2003
USA
Visit site
J17ster said:
You cant compare there seasons last year, Horton had a busted shoulder, came back and wasnt right.
I think your in the minority when you say you wouldnt even "consider" Richards for Horton. IMO i wouldnt even consider richards + pick for Horton, but then thats being a homer
grin.gif

Richards is more valuable than prospects better than him with much higher upside. Believe me I think Horton is one of the top young players in the game and if he didn't have any injury troubles I wouldn't deal Richards for him. Richards is the type of player that championship teams have.

I would deal Jeff Carter + for Nathan Horton though.

sudcity

Aug 9, 2005
I think Richards is better than most people here are giving him credit for. I think a case could be made for both players and it seems like some people get hung up on where they were drafted and the hype that surronded them. I guess I'm going to ride the fence a bit but I think they are both excellent prospects/players.

Olias of Sunhillow

Jul 12, 2005
Jimtown, CO
Richards is going to be somebody's (hopefully the Flyers) second-line center, top PK man, and team captain for 10 years, barring injury. His +/- will be very good because of his well above average defensive awareness and the quality of his linemates.

Horton will probably score more points than Richards when all is said and done. It's hard to project +/- over a career because it's so dependent upon the makeup of the team. If he plays on a line with Olesz for the next six years, his plus-minus will probably be excellent... I love Olesz's game and that would be an awesome tandem in terms of scoring and defensive responsibility.

In short... it's too early to compare these two. Horton is the more talented of the two in terms of pure skill, but Richards brings so many intangibles. I'll take both, please!

Man, that was a great draft year.

Liquidrage*

Olias of Sunhillow said:
Richards is going to be somebody's (hopefully the Flyers) second-line center, top PK man, and team captain for 10 years, barring injury. His +/- will be very good because of his well above average defensive awareness and the quality of his linemates.

If Richards didn't do some many other things well besides score, he would be talked about as a potential 1st line center.

It's early still, but we're projecting. And his hands and passing ability are way too good for just "second line" potential.

He makes plays. Not just gets cheap goals and ho-hum assists.

We can call him whatever. But he has to potential to be that guy leading his team's forwards in minutes year after year and putting up a decent amount of points while doing it.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Liquidrage said:
If Richards didn't do some many other things well besides score, he would be talked about as a potential 1st line center.

It's early still, but we're projecting. And his hands and passing ability are way too good for just "second line" potential.

He makes plays. Not just gets cheap goals and ho-hum assists.

We can call him whatever. But he has to potential to be that guy leading his team's forwards in minutes year after year and putting up a decent amount of points while doing it.

And a goal and an assist already in tonights game against the Habs.

3 goals and 5 assists in 7 games now. Not bad for a player with supposed limited offensive potential.

By the way, I'll take Richards over Horton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad