Horton/Keenan/Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
IMO, if Mike Keenan and the Panthers organization don't release Nathan Horton for the Dec. 13th camp, then I think Team Canada should tell Keenan and co. too bad!! This team and tourney could be something special for all players involved, as they will clearly be stacked with talent and are the early favourites. Letting Horton slip in on Dec. 20th will only cause problems now and down the road. Mr. Horton was not on the team last year and must compete for a job just like everyone else, even the returning must compete for a job!

You know what's funny with Keenan is, besides being such a dipsh*t, he making Horton sound like San Antonio's star player, when in actual fact he has like 1 goal and 2 points in 7 games. Gee, now how hard would it be to let Horton go, play in this tourney, call someone up from the ECHL or wherever, for a 10 game tryout or so and possibly give another guy a chance at the same time as I think there's someone out there that can get 2pts in 7 games while Horton is in North Dakota! I guess that would make too much sense!

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
Maybe it's a fear of failure. Perhaps Iron Mike knows damn well how difficult it will be to make this team and he's trying to save face for his player.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
bopeep said:
Maybe it's a fear of failure. Perhaps Iron Mike knows damn well how difficult it will be to make this team and he's trying to save face for his player.
:lol:
I don't think so, If Horton (really Keenan) complies with all the regulations for team Canada's selection camp process, than Horton will obviously be on the team.

HabLover said:
if Mike Keenan and the Panthers organization don't release Nathan Horton for the Dec. 13th camp, then I think Team Canada should tell Keenan and co. too bad!!
From all accounts (Sportsnet and TSN) that's exactly what Nicholson and hockey Canada plan to do. Horton has to report at the same time as everyone else.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
bopeep said:

That could be, but as already posted, if Horton is at camp I think he's almost a lock to make the team, but Keenan could be somewhat worried! Remember back in '95 when Brett Lindros did not make the club.

CoolburnIsGone

I think you have to realize that by keeping Horton in San Antonio, the organization has the ability to control everything they feel necessary. By allowing him to go to the camp, they control nothing and with him just returning from injury...they probably feel the desire to watch him more closely to make sure he doesn't re-injure the shoulder. They can control his ice time, what lines/players he goes up against, his physical training, etc if he's in San Antonio...what control do they have if he goes to the evaluation camp?? And if he's such a lock to make the team, why does it even matter if he's at the camp (trust me, I understand the reasoning behind it but Lindros was a much different case than Horton). I remember the agreement that the team had to allow him to play in the WJHC for him to be allowed to play in the AHL...I bet the agreement said nothing about the evaluation camp which is why Keenan is putting Team Canada in this situation.

Of course, you are talking about an organization that's had 4 coaches in 7 months. They gave Keenan an extension on his 2 yr contract (couldn't last more than 2 yrs in his previous 2 stops in Vancouver & Boston and only lasted 1 yr in NY) to 4 yrs...only to fire him 8 months later (or there abouts). Then they exercise the option yr on Dudley's contract in January only to fire him in May and when re-hiring Keenan, gave him another couple yrs on his contract. Majority owner Alan Cohen has no concept on how to run a hockey team...his head is so far up Keenan's arse I'm not sure where Iron Mike ends and Cornflake Cohen begins. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad