Honestly, how do you think we finish?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Blues make it all the way to the Stanley Cup Final and lose to Washington. Oshie skates around STC holding the Stanley Cup while Blues fans weep in agony.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
To all those calling for another first round exit: I get why you would predict this outcome. It has happened all too often in recent history with the same coach and a lot of the same leadership group. However, I think if you were to take a step back and objectively assess this team you would come to a different conclusion.

The Blues this year have shown a lot more mental resiliency in the face of some pretty serious adversity (i.e. injuries) than they have in years past. Most notably for me, I can't recall a time this season when the Blues seemed to give up after falling behind in a game. The bench has stayed calm, stuck to the game plan, and kept fighting in such games this year. Also, the way players are sticking up for one another feels different than past years to me. This is not the same roster as last year or the year before with younger players developing and improving and certain veterans leaving the team.

I suppose time will tell who is correct. Maybe I'm just a foolish optimist :popcorn:

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
If we upgrade with another scoring forward (or two): we at least make it to the 2nd round, possibly further.

If we make no moves: 1st round exit at the very most.

Regardless, I don't like this team's chances with it's current coach.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
To all those calling for another first round exit: I get why you would predict this outcome. It has happened all too often in recent history with the same coach and a lot of the same leadership group. However, I think if you were to take a step back and objectively assess this team you would come to a different conclusion.

The Blues this year have shown a lot more mental resiliency in the face of some pretty serious adversity (i.e. injuries) than they have in years past. Most notably for me, I can't recall a time this season when the Blues seemed to give up after falling behind in a game. The bench has stayed calm, stuck to the game plan, and kept fighting in such games this year. Also, the way players are sticking up for one another feels different than past years to me. This is not the same roster as last year or the year before with younger players developing and improving and certain veterans leaving the team.

I suppose time will tell who is correct. Maybe I'm just a foolish optimist :popcorn:

This team has taken a huge step back offensively and defensively, even if they have shown more resiliency. While the overall record is fine, the process by which we've gotten there is pretty damn concerning. I'll be rooting as hard as ever for them in the playoffs, but they haven't shown me anything to make me believe this year will be any different than years past. I hope they prove me wrong.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
This team has taken a huge step back offensively and defensively, even if they have shown more resiliency. While the overall record is fine, the process by which we've gotten there is pretty damn concerning. I'll be rooting as hard as ever for them in the playoffs, but they haven't shown me anything to make me believe this year will be any different than years past. I hope they prove me wrong.

I feel this way too. I have friends and such who don't even seem like they're going to cheer for the Blues come playoff time. I'm still a Blues fan and I'll cheer hard but it's without as much expectation.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Lol. Mental resiliency.

It's like you forgot how many games in a row did they blow a 2-goal lead? Things were not always smooth sailing this season during injuries...

I know injuries are hard to deal with but there's been zero proof that they are mentally tougher than in years past at all.

Last edited:

BlueMagic

Oct 19, 2014
I'll be skeptical until they get out of the first round. I don't care if they finish the season on a tear or they add a nice piece at the deadline, they're the Blues. You would think everyone on here would have learned how to control their optimism by now. I'll be cheering and hoping but I certainly won't be getting my hopes up anymore like I used to. Last year really did a number on me lol.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Not disagreeing regarding offense, they're now averaging over half a goal less offensively per game (2.46) than last year (3.02).

Defensively, I disagree. They're allowing 2.37 goals against per game this season vs 2.45 last season. So, at the very least, I think they're at least on par with last season's defense.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
First round exit.

Doesn't matter who we play. This team has proven over and over it has no will or want to turn it up when it matters most.

I will get nervous and anxious and excited, but I know the end result.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
They'll lose in the 1st rd vs DAL/CHI or lose in the 2nd vs CHI. I could see them beating DAL but don't see them beating CHI in whichever round they meet.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
1st round exit. Mainly because of the horrid 5v5 scoring. Most refs swallow their whistle in the playoffs, thus further limiting Blues ability to put the puck in the net.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Not disagreeing regarding offense, they're now averaging over half a goal less offensively per game (2.46) than last year (3.02).

Defensively, I disagree. They're allowing 2.37 goals against per game this season vs 2.45 last season. So, at the very least, I think they're at least on par with last season's defense.

Well that's mainly because goaltending has been better this year. Elliott is getting shelled with pucks.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
IUPBYU7.gif

The guarantees in life.

Playoffs avatar!

WiscoBlues

Feb 1, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
there's no way this team makes it to the second round. we're going to get dallas or chicago in the first round, and we probably won't have home ice. our only hope of making it to the second round is if we draw dallas, and one or both of benn/seguin miss the playoffs. then, we'll promptly get eliminated by the blackhawks.

if you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
It'll take a miracle for the Blues to beat the Hawks in the playoffs, so ya, were probably done in round 1 or 2. It's the NHL playoffs though and anything can happen so ya never know, although I'm keeping my expectations super low.

I'm sick of seeing the Blackhawks win all the time and I'm sure fans of other teams are too, so I bet there will at least be non Blues fans rooting for us to beat them.:laugh:

HappyGilmore

May 5, 2015

It's interesting that you bring up objectivity and then provide rather subjective reasoning to support that conclusion. Sure, the Blues came back and beat the Hawks in Chicago. That was a great victory, but the bottom line is, this team lacks serious leadership in Backes, and the playoffs will always be a different game than the reagular season. Stastistically, there is no reason to believe anything else will happen because the common, fundamental issues still reside on this team (lack of leadership and coaching adjustments).

stl76

Jul 2, 2015

Curious what measures you are using when you say the team has taken a huge step back offensively and defensively? Obviously this team has struggled with offense this season, but defensively I don't think it is accurate to say they have taken a huge step back. I am willing to cut the team a bit of slack on offense with all the injuries, but it is probably fair to say they have taken a huge step back there.

It's interesting that you bring up objectivity and then provide rather subjective reasoning to support that conclusion. Sure, the Blues came back and beat the Hawks in Chicago. That was a great victory, but the bottom line is, this team lacks serious leadership in Backes, and the playoffs will always be a different game than the reagular season. Stastistically, there is no reason to believe anything else will happen because the common, fundamental issues still reside on this team (lack of leadership and coaching adjustments).

I should have been more clear in my use of "objectively." The point I was trying to get across was that if you just viewed this season in a vacuum, ignoring all our past first round exits and playoff failures, I think there is plenty of reason to believe the Blues can/will advance beyond the first round.

FWIW tho, it's not just a roarbacon win over Chicago I am referring to when I speak subjectively about "resiliency" and "things feeling different than past years." Nevermind the hilarious and lighthearted reaction by team members to the whole #roarbacon thing (poop in Hitch's office anyone?) being very different than past years. For example, the first game we played the Rangers this season they were on a serious hot streak. They came out and put up a couple quick ones on the Blues and Allen was pulled (he was pissed you may remember). Instead of the game turning into a blow out tho, the Blues stayed calm and fought back into the game - IIRC cutting the lead to 1 goal before giving up a late empty netter. This is just one anecdote but it is illustrative of a larger point, and instances where the team could have given up/panicked but instead stayed together and fought as a group like this have happened a lot more this year than I can remember in the past.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Curious what measures you are using when you say the team has taken a huge step back offensively and defensively? Obviously this team has struggled with offense this season, but defensively I don't think it is accurate to say they have taken a huge step back. I am willing to cut the team a bit of slack on offense with all the injuries, but it is probably fair to say they have taken a huge step back there.

It's not just the injuries on the offensive front. There is no cohesive game plan. We used to be a team that despite our limited offensive talent was constantly buzzing around the net and generating a lot of sustained offensive zone pressure. These days, all i see is a "one and done" type of offensive approach. We don't get sustained zone pressure. We don't generate much on the counter attack. We don't even appear to have a plan.

Defensively, this team has definitely taken a step back. Much like the offense, we used to be relentless on the backcheck and would apply a lot of pressure. We were rarely hemmed into our zone for long periods. This year? I've seen us play entire games in our own zone. Our transition game is a mess, which I attributed to terrible coaching. Very few teams in the league have a defensive core as well suited to the transition game as we do. We should have a huge advantage there and yet, we rarely use it.

In addition, we're giving up way more high quality chances than we used to. We get outshot on a fairly regular basis and just overall don't look good. I'll fully admit that I'm not the most well versed hockey fan at all the minutia and intricacies of in game strategy, so when even I start to notice thinks like a lack of successful transition and offensive zone strategy, it's a problem.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It's not just the injuries on the offensive front. There is no cohesive game plan. We used to be a team that despite our limited offensive talent was constantly buzzing around the net and generating a lot of sustained offensive zone pressure. These days, all i see is a "one and done" type of offensive approach. We don't get sustained zone pressure. We don't generate much on the counter attack. We don't even appear to have a plan.

Defensively, this team has definitely taken a step back. Much like the offense, we used to be relentless on the backcheck and would apply a lot of pressure. We were rarely hemmed into our zone for long periods. This year? I've seen us play entire games in our own zone. Our transition game is a mess, which I attributed to terrible coaching. Very few teams in the league have a defensive core as well suited to the transition game as we do. We should have a huge advantage there and yet, we rarely use it.

In addition, we're giving up way more high quality chances than we used to. We get outshot on a fairly regular basis and just overall don't look good. I'll fully admit that I'm not the most well versed hockey fan at all the minutia and intricacies of in game strategy, so when even I start to notice thinks like a lack of successful transition and offensive zone strategy, it's a problem.

1st paragraph:
“One of the areas we liked about our team was going to be our balanced scoring, being a difficult team to check. Right now, because of the injuries, we’re not as difficult to check. We don’t have that second or third wave we thought we’d have.†- DA
You're not giving the injuries enough credit. They've made a huge impact. We've adapted to the state of affairs and found ways to win anyways.

2nd paragraph:
We're 3rd in the league in Goals Against/60 at even strength, and have the league's 3rd best PK. Our defense has, again, been outstanding. Our transition game is very much not attributable to terrible coaching. Our transition game has been affected by injuries, in that our forwards are exhausted and haven't been able to keep up with the d's zone entries. We saw last game with Fabbri and Brouwer waaaaaay back behind the defense that it's improving. We know from the beginning of the year that we are capable of having a great transition game, we're just slowly getting back to that now.

3rd paragraph:
That's just not true. The attached file shows that we give up fewer high-danger scoring chances than the league average, and for the really high-danger spots it's substantially, substantially less. To explain the chart a bit, a value of 1.00 = league average. Any value greater than that indicates more shots taken from that location than league average, and any value less than that indicates fewer shots taken from that area than the league average.

HappyGilmore

May 5, 2015

I should have been more clear in my use of "objectively." The point I was trying to get across was that if you just viewed this season in a vacuum, ignoring all our past first round exits and playoff failures, I think there is plenty of reason to believe the Blues can/will advance beyond the first round.

FWIW tho, it's not just a roarbacon win over Chicago I am referring to when I speak subjectively about "resiliency" and "things feeling different than past years." Nevermind the hilarious and lighthearted reaction by team members to the whole #roarbacon thing (poop in Hitch's office anyone?) being very different than past years. For example, the first game we played the Rangers this season they were on a serious hot streak. They came out and put up a couple quick ones on the Blues and Allen was pulled (he was pissed you may remember). Instead of the game turning into a blow out tho, the Blues stayed calm and fought back into the game - IIRC cutting the lead to 1 goal before giving up a late empty netter. This is just one anecdote but it is illustrative of a larger point, and instances where the team could have given up/panicked but instead stayed together and fought as a group like this have happened a lot more this year than I can remember in the past.

1. Actually, the Blues have had some come-back games last season, not just this season. Remember when the Blues came back and beat the Kings when Tarasenko got a hattrick? Regular season comeback victories don't mean as much as we want them to.

2. Secondly, it's totally irrational to ignore the outcomes of the previous years. Prior data from the playoffs is our best indicator of the future. You can't just ignore what happened last year and the year before that and the year before that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad