Honda Civic recirculating button not working. Any help?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Since I’m snowed in, and in search of a new mechanic. I figured I would ask here if there’s any takers in solving my inquiry.

I have a 2012 Honda Civic. The air recirculating button in my car has not been working for months. I’ve taken it to two different shops and replaced the actual control board all together, but the button is STILL not working. Any guesses?

this is what my unit looks like (3rd button, bottom row, when I click the button to make the light appear, it is not working)

upload_2020-12-17_13-35-48.jpeg

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
My guess is that for whatever reason it is thinking you are using the front defrost option when trying to turn on the recirculator. Next time you turn the car on, turn the heater/air on and stick your hand up there to see if there is any air blowing out. I'd wonder if something has gotten stuck open somehow, so no matter how many other parts you replace it is reading it as being in use.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
My “blend door actuator” shit out on me last year and i just disconnected the harness instead of replacing. $10 piece of plastic that requires the entire dash be removed in order to replace the part, and it really only impacts one heat vent

the car is 8 years old and this really doesn’t pose any sort of problem. Not the answer you wanna hear, but if it’s not a simple fix i would just let it go

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
mind if I ask why you need the recirculation function working ? when I had an 09 civic 10 or so years ago I dont think I utilized it once . Also as someone else stated above , this particular model would turn the a/c on when you use windshield defrost mode which may or may not prevent you from engaging recirculation mode . I recall back in 09 I found a cheat code on youtube on how to prevent the a/c from going on when in windshield defrost mode because I wasnt a fan of a/c engaging when it was minus 20 celcius outside

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
mind if I ask why you need the recirculation function working ? when I had an 09 civic 10 or so years ago I dont think I utilized it once . Also as someone else stated above , this particular model would turn the a/c on when you use windshield defrost mode which may or may not prevent you from engaging recirculation mode . I recall back in 09 I found a cheat code on youtube on how to prevent the a/c from going on when in windshield defrost mode because I wasnt a fan of a/c engaging when it was minus 20 celcius outside
Helps when a skunk was run over, when you get behind a particularly smelly vehicle, when there's loads of cigarette smoke coming from a vehicle ahead of you at a stoplight etc.

Useful in short bursts imo.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Helps when a skunk was run over, when you get behind a particularly smelly vehicle, when there's loads of cigarette smoke coming from a vehicle ahead of you at a stoplight etc.

Useful in short bursts imo.
Add sandstorms, blizzards, and driving past the local landfill.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Add sandstorms, blizzards, and driving past the local landfill.
I never use it during blizzards, but I could see it being helpful in a sandstorm... and luckily I don't drive past any landfills, but I will add... when driving over a bridge going over, or on a road near a river in mid summer, when it's been very humid and very little or no breeze for an extended period of times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad