Homerism in "three stars" picks

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
So far this season there has been a crazy amount of homerism in the three star selection in the Jets home games. I get we want to reward Jets players esp after a win but this is ridiculous. How was Crosby not one of the three stars in the Pens game but Andrew Ladd was? And how is Tavares not one of the stars after tonight's game? I just don't want us to get the homer reputation that the Pens and Avs broadcasters have.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Crosby was gassed/lazy/giving up on plays and backchecking the 2nd half of the game.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I said the exact same thing on the way home from the game.

Seriously, they should just start calling it the MacDiamid Lumber Three Stars from the Winnipeg Jets. Not giving Tavares a star is a pretty clear indication they don't care about objectivity.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
So the three stars tonight were;

1) A. Burmistrov
2) N. Antropov
3) E. Kane

I agree that JT played a great game, but who out of those three would you remove to put him in? Just curious.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
While I agree there may be an element of homerism, Tavarez' 3 points were pretty fortunate. And he seemed to be on the ice alot for our goals. The Isles really didn't generate much offense outside of 12minutes of the third period.

Kane and Burmistrov were likely the two best players on the ice tonight. Antro played well, but not deserving of a star.

edit: Tavarez was a -1 tonight

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

1) A. Burmistrov
2) N. Antropov
3) E. Kane

I agree that JT played a great game, but who out of those three would you remove to put him in? Just curious.

Kane. I thought he played decent, but not out of this world.

Puckschmuck*

Meh, this is an example of a form of homerism I can live with.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I thought that the 3 star selection was usually used as an olive branch to the losing team to acknowledge their best player. That's how it seems set up to me, anyways.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Meh, this is an example of a form of homerism I can live with.

Oh for sure, in fact I think you'd probably see this happening across the league.

I don't think anyone sees three star selections as anything more than a fun little tradition at the end of games.

BobEssensa

Jun 16, 2011
People still pay attention to who the 3 stars are? Isn't it more of a novelty, rather than something that was taken seriously?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
This happens everywhere.

The hometeams' players always get picked over the others. This isn't even new and it's the same across the entire league.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I remember the Pens board being angry that Crosby wasn't given a nod...
Personally I think he deserved it, but
1) who cares
2) he didn't have a perfect game

and that pretty much is the same for Tavares... I also noticed he was suspect defensively in this game...

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Thought is was kinda funny though, in Washington all three stars went to Jets players. Figured they would've given Hendricks a token star for his effort.

Pretty much like a giant middle finger to the Caps for laying an egg in their home opener. :laugh:

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So far this season there has been a crazy amount of homerism in the three star selection in the Jets home games. I get we want to reward Jets players esp after a win but this is ridiculous. How was Crosby not one of the three stars in the Pens game but Andrew Ladd was? And how is Tavares not one of the stars after tonight's game? I just don't want us to get the homer reputation that the Pens and Avs broadcasters have.

Is the 3-stars of the game biased this year? Yes.

Did Andrew Ladd deserve a nod over Crosby in the Pens game? Yes. He scored the game winner. Crosby probably should have been the 3rd star.

Did Tavares deserve a star? Also, yes. He scored 3 points and gave the Islanders a point when they probably didn't deserve one.

I wouldn't read too much into it though. It doesn't really effect the business of hockey or very much else to be honest.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I don't have a problem with tonight's selection, but snubbing Crosby when he scored two goals (the only ones by his team) did bother me a bit.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I don't see what the big deal is.
Does anyone get a bonus at the end of the year because of three star selections?

It is a really subjective thing anyways.
I am sure the Jets get the same treatment when they are on the road.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

1) A. Burmistrov
2) N. Antropov
3) E. Kane

I'd remove Antro and slide Tavares into the second slot.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I agree. It's embarrassing. You don't get all three stars for a 5-4 win. Someone should speak to Chipman about this. It's bush league.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I don't see what the big deal is.
Does anyone get a bonus at the end of the year because of three star selections?

It is a really subjective thing anyways.
I am sure the Jets get the same treatment when they are on the road.

Maybe their parents still give them $1 for every goal, assist and three star selections.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
But the only Isles player that would perhaps deserve a nod was Nabokov and he let in five goals.

Tavares had a 3-point night and his team lost in OT. He was also dangerous at several other times in the game. That deserves at least 3rd star.

The fact that no Isles were among the 3 stars is a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad