Speculation: Holland & Columbus. Columbus & Holland. In it together. How? Why?

Who do you want to replace Holland as GM?

• Mark Hunter

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • Brad Holland

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Keith Gretzky

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • A potato

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • *insert ex-Oiler player here*

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Other (you name him)

Votes: 25 28.1%

• Total voters

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I’m not saying they haven’t. I’m just trying to remind people of what was happening in November. I didn’t see anybody talking about Coffey when he’s likely going to be the guy.
I see him as a VP right under Jackson. Will have a real good read of the room and the player dynamics.

Reactions: Faelko

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Holland has been semi-retired his whole time here.
Does Columbus expect him to go over there with a fire in his belly? Rebuild the franchise? Start the dynasty?
Don’t think the CBJs will be planning any parades….ever.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He is still a POS if he is interviewing with his team underachieving in the playoffs.

And if he did accept a meeting with Davidson in person in Edmonton, he should be shown the door now.

I truly believe he knew he was out before the deadline then didn't give a shit or work hard enough or was too bitter to care enough about upgrading the roster.
This is the problem with letting a lame duck GM manage your team in a critical year. He didn’t care enough to get something done.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Jackson hired a crappy retread as an amateur scouting director and a rookie head coach for a contending team. His moves have sucked so far.

Amen, we have no reason to trust Jackson at all. If he has the final say on the next GM hiring we need to all prepare to kiss the McDavid era goodbye.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
This is the problem with letting a lame duck GM manage your team in a critical year. He didn’t care enough to get something done.
Pretty obvious Jackson told Holland to fire Woodcroft & Manson and if Holland didn’t, he would. And he probably told him he had their next coach already on the plane to meet the team. From there on out, like you said, he didn’t care to do anything to boost the team or had handcuffs on, which is understandable with the body of work he has done during his tenure.

That said, Holland is still under contract. He can’t go talk to other teams unless the org gave the blessing. Jackson probably drove him to the airport himself to make sure he got on the plane to Columbus.

Reactions: Cloned

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If we had drafted Harley instead of Broberg we’d be in the finals as well. ;)

We have two elite players and the fanbase is complaining about their performances.

Is there another club still playing that has less depth than the Oilers?

All those draft picks at this deadline and none of the acquired players are playing. I don't give a shit about "Holland couldn't foresee this or Holland couldn't foresee that" it's the same old bullshit over and over.

The fanbase has to be in decline.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
As a lifelong Oilers fan, I'm having a hard time understanding this. Process?? Interviews???

Knowing how incompetent this organization is, they're gonna look at the best options like Eric Tulsky or Mark Janko, but then settle on Ken Holland clone 2.0 in Mark Hunter, because he's good friends with Jeff Jackson. That's why Knoblauch got the job anyways as coach. The old boys club decade of darkness era may have died out in this organization, but the 'muh connection' bullshit still remains.

Reactions: Duder54

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Knowing how incompetent this organization is, they're gonna look at the best options like Eric Tulsky or Mark Janko, but then settle on Ken Holland clone 2.0 in Mark Hunter, because he's good friends with Jeff Jackson. That's why Knoblauch got the job anyways as coach. The old boys club decade of darkness era may have died out in this organization, but the 'muh connection' bullshit still remains.
I really hope this isn’t a case of “meet the new boss, same as the old boss.”

If so, Katz should sell the team to someone who gives a f*** about trying to you know…win.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I really hope this isn’t a case of “meet the new boss, same as the old boss.”

If so, Katz should sell the team to someone who gives a f*** about trying to you know…win.

Katz doesn't give a f***, lol. He's raking up the money regardless who's in charge of management. After two shit hires in both Chiarelli and Ken Holland, can any Oiler fan even have high belief or optimism that the organization will hire somebody proper? Especially after ignoring Zito or McCrimmon here for the f***ing senile old fart in Ken Holland instead.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Katz doesn't give a f***, lol. He's raking up the money regardless who's in charge of management. After two shit hires in both Chiarelli and Ken Holland, can any Oiler fan even have high belief or optimism that the organization will hire somebody proper? Especially after ignoring Zito or McCrimmon here for the f***ing senile old fart in Ken Holland instead.
The org gets a pass on McCrimmon. Vegas got scared and promoted him before they could even offer him the job. Zito, I don’t recall but another poster saying Nicholson ignored everybody on the list once Holland was let loose by Detroit and hired him on the spot seems to make perfect sense.

I don’t have much faith they’ll hire the right guy this time either, but maybe Jackson surprises us. I really don’t why I give them the benefit of the doubt every time.

Last edited:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The org gets a pass on McCrimmon. Vegas got scared and promoted him before they could even offer him the job. Zito, I don’t recall but another poster saying Nicholson ignored everybody on the list once Holland was let loose by Detroit and hired him on the spot seems to make perfect sense.

I don’t have much faith either they’ll hire the right guy this time either, but maybe Jackson surprises us. I really don’t why I give them the benefit of the doubt every time.

Props to Vegas for that move. McCrimmon's a cheeky bastard, but I can commend his ruthlessness on exploiting the cap every year in order to get the best possible players on his team. Can't say the same for Holland and his yearly 1-5 annual excuses. After Connor Brown wasn't able to produce for his last or second last game before he could get his bonus, McCrimmon would've sent him the f*** down to the AHL or/and got rid of him right after to another organization. Zito? Second consecutive conference finals as the GM of the Florida Panthers, and he did so without inheriting McDavid, Draisaitl or Bouchard for that matter. What a f***ing good GM.

I can commend you still showing a sign of optimism, but mine's pretty low.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
He is still a POS if he is interviewing with his team underachieving in the playoffs.

And if he did accept a meeting with Davidson in person in Edmonton, he should be shown the door now.

I truly believe he knew he was out before the deadline then didn't give a shit or work hard enough or was too bitter to care enough about upgrading the roster.
I mean if you were out of a job in a few weeks, would you be turning down interviews?

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Below average is generous. He wasted the prime of the best hockey player of the past 30 years. Never once gave McDavid and Draisaitl a roster that can genuinely compete for a cup. He's leaving us with an absolute destitute prospect pool. Between the Neal buyout and Brown bonuses he's at $5M+ of flat out dead cap space. Add in a $5M AHL goalie in Campbell and we're up to $10M+. Throw in Nurse being overpaid by ~$3M at least and we're approaching ~$13-14M of wasted cap space.

He made exactly one worthwhile trade in 5 years in the Ekholm deal. Other than that his deals have all been worthless or detrimental.
He also got Hyman. He got Kane who was massive for us on arrival, then got his wrist slashed and never looked the same.

He also inherited a grade A cluster **** from his predecessor and immediately turned it into a playoff team. Kinda hard pinning the Neal dead cap on him for example, considering he made the best of a bad situation created by Chiarelli with the Lucic deal.

Overall it's been good and bad. Clearly nowhere near good enough and I'll say, again, kinda below average. But nowhere near the worst we've seen here between Chiarelli, MacT, Tambellini and endstage Lowe.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He also got Hyman. He got Kane who was massive for us on arrival, then got his wrist slashed and never looked the same.

He also inherited a grade A cluster **** from his predecessor and immediately turned it into a playoff team. Kinda hard pinning the Neal dead cap on him for example, considering he made the best of a bad situation created by Chiarelli with the Lucic deal.

Overall it's been good and bad. Clearly nowhere near good enough and I'll say, again, kinda below average. But nowhere near the worst we've seen here between Chiarelli, MacT, Tambellini and endstage Lowe.

I agree but want to illustrate the problem that his bad is really really bad. Holland was a GM of extremes and the bad is so bad that in my opinion it far outweighs the good.

His drafting record is beyond abysmal.

His squandering of draft picks at the trade deadline is awful outside of the Viking.

The Campbell signing is franchise crippling given the position.

The Nurse contract is a massive overpay.

His contracts to support players are typically overtermed.

His general use of cap space showed a poor understanding of how to best utilize it.

I was a big supporter of him at first but his body of work will stand as a colossal failure given the goal was a Stanley Cup, not just to be a playoff team.

That said it ain’t over till it’s over right now and despite looking grim at the moment there’s still a shot for a Cup this year.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We have two elite players and the fanbase is complaining about their performances.

Is there another club still playing that has less depth than the Oilers?

All those draft picks at this deadline and none of the acquired players are playing. I don't give a shit about "Holland couldn't foresee this or Holland couldn't foresee that" it's the same old bullshit over and over.

The fanbase has to be in decline.
I don’t see anyone excusing Holland lol.

Reactions: brentashton

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Thats exactly the problem. It seems that every GM this team has had for the last 20 years has balanced the good with the bad. So the net outcome means little to no real difference with the team.

Some GMS are good with drafting bad with trades. Some are good with trades...bad with contracts.
Good with drafting...bad with contracts and trades.
There always seems to be a combination of good and bad.

It would be really nice to have a solid GM that doesnt offset the good that he does with the bad.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Thats exactly the problem. It seems that every GM this team has had for the last 20 years has balanced the good with the bad. So the net outcome means little to no real difference with the team.

Some GMS are good with drafting bad with trades. Some are good with trades...bad with contracts.

It would be really nice to have a solid GM that doesnt offset the good that he does with the bad.
Agreed. Outside of Kane, Hyman, and Ekholm. It's a whole lot of nothing from Ken Holland.
Team needed a true #1 goalie, a top 4 D man, and a top 6 scoring winger right when Holland got hired and we still lack those three up to final year 5 of his tenure. Just flat out inexcusable for the highest paid GM in the league to sit on his ass every year making up a reason why he couldn't make a trade. Thank the lord he's f***ing gone once our season's over. I despised Chiarelli as a GM, but Holland? I sincerely hate the man even more. 5 years of even more bullshit with him.
But but but you can't squeeze other gms, trades are hard to make, I'm up to the caaaap, dollar in dollar out, but but but I traded for Chris Chelios back in the 90's, back in my days in detroittttt. f*** off, Kenny. Fraud.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Agreed. Outside of Kane, Hyman, and Ekholm. It's a whole lot of nothing from Ken Holland.
Team needed a true #1 goalie, a top 4 D man, and a top 6 scoring winger right when Holland got hired and we still lack those three up to final year 5 of his tenure. Just flat out inexcusable for the highest paid GM in the league to sit on his ass every year making up a reason why he couldn't make a trade. Thank the lord he's f***ing gone once our season's over. I despised Chiarelli as a GM, but Holland? I sincerely hate the man even more. 5 years of even more bullshit with him.
But but but you can't squeeze other gms, trades are hard to make, I'm up to the caaaap, dollar in dollar out, but but but I traded for Chris Chelios back in the 90's, back in my days in detroittttt. f*** off, Kenny. Fraud.
absolutely

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation

Yeah but I believe all GM's have their good and bad moves, often by design just to create competition.

So when people focus in on bad moves by a GM I question if they've considered this aspect.

Reactions: Faelko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad