Alexei Kasatonov (24)
Fern Flaman (45)
Nikolai Sologubov (50)
Bill White (51)

Players ranked lowest overall on this list
None

Players unique to this list
None

Round | Rank 1 | Rank 2 | Rank 3 | Rank 4 | Rank 5 | Rank 6 | Rank 7 | Rank 8 | Rank 9 | Rank 10
Vote 1|Bobby Orr|Ray Bourque|Doug Harvey|Nicklas Lidstrom|Eddie Shore|Denis Potvin|Red Kelly|Slava Fetisov|Chris Chelios| Larry Robinson
Vote 2|Red Kelly|Denis Potvin|Slava Fetisov|Chris Chelios|Larry Robinson|Paul Coffey|King Clancy|Pierre Pilote|Brad Park| Al MacInnis
Vote 3|Paul Coffey|Francis "King" Clancy|Brad Park|Pierre Pilote|Sprague Cleghorn|Chris Pronger|Tim Horton|Scott Stevens|Al MacInnis| Earl Seibert
Vote 4|Tim Horton|Valeri Vasiliev|Chris Pronger|Scott Stevens|Al MacInnis|Earl Seibert|Borje Salming|Bill Gadsby|Brian Leetch|Dit Clapper
Vote 5|Valeri Vasiliev|Borje Salming|Brian Leetch|Bill Gadsby|Dit Clapper|Mark Howe|Bill Quackenbush|Scott Niedermayer|Serge Savard|Guy Lapointe
Vote 6|Mark Howe|Bill Quackenbush|Eddie Gerard|Scott Niedermayer|Serge Savard|Guy Lapointe|Rod Langway|Lionel Conacher|Marcel Pronovost|Jack Stewart
Vote 7|Alexei Kasatonov|Scott Niedermayer|Guy Lapointe|Lionel Conacher|Marcel Pronovost|Jack Stewart|Zdeno Chara|Rob Blake|Jacques Laperriere|Larry Murphy
Vote 8|Alexei Kasatonov|Ching Johnson|Hod Stuart|Zdeno Chara|Jacques Laperriere|JC Tremblay|Moose Johnson|Jan Suchy|Rob Blake|Larry Murphy
Vote 9|Zdeno Chara|Ernest "Moose" Johnson|Ken Reardon|Jan Suchy|Rob Blake|Ebbie Goodfellow|Larry Murphy|Harry Cameron|Carl Brewer|Emile "Butch" Bouchard
Vote 10|Ken Reardon|Jan Suchy|Larry Murphy|Alexander Ragulin|Carl Brewer|Albert "Babe" Siebert|Georges "Buck" Boucher|Harry Cameron|Doug Wilson|Sylvio Mantha
Vote 11|Ken Reardon|Alexander Ragulin|Art Coulter|Harvey Pulford|Lester Patrick|Doug Wilson|Sylvio Mantha|Harry Cameron|Tom Johnson|Allan Stanley
Vote 12|Frantisek Pospisil|Alexander Ragulin|Harvey Pulford|Sylvio Mantha|Vladimir Lutchenko|Harry Cameron|Allan Stanley|Mike Grant|Bill White|Phil Housley

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Was the omission of Buck Boucher an oversight? I believe I remember you placing him on your 2008 Top 100 list.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Yes, Boucher was an oversight. I'm genuinely surprised to see that I didn't have him included on the list I submitted.

The biggest inconsistency on my list was ranking Reardon 17 spots above Stewart. They played during the same era and had very similar peaks, but Stewart has a clear edge in longevity. If I had to re-do my list, I'd probably have Stewart around 40 and Reardon around 50.

Players who were 10+ spots higher on my list compared to the final list

My rank|My rank|HOH rank|Difference
Alexander Ragulin | 30 | NR | 31+
Larry Murphy | 33 | 50 | 17
Fern Flaman | 45 | NR | 16+
František Pospíšil | 42 | 58 | 16
Alexei Kasatonov | 24 | 39 | 15
Jan Suchý | 36 | 49 | 13
Nikolai Sologubov | 50 | NR | 11+
Ken Reardon | 40 | 51 | 11
Bill White | 51 | NR | 10+
Lester Patrick | 43 | 53 | 10

Apparently I have a more favourable impression of non-NHL Europeans compared to the HOH consensus. Five of the then players that I ranked significantly higher than HOH were Russian and Czech defensemen.

I ranked the other five players too high initially. I've already discussed Reardon. I don't remember why, specifically, I ranked White and Patrick as high as I did. I focused too much on the numerous, glowing contemporary quotes about Flaman, without standing back and seeing how his legacy stacks up to others. I like Muprhy's consistency and longevity, but became less impressed with him as the voting started (see my voting results).

Players who were 10+ spots lower on my list compared to the final list

Georges "Buck" Boucher | NR | 48 | -33+
Aubrey "Dit" Clapper | 56 | 24 | -32
Jack Stewart | 57 | 31 | -26
Ivan "Ching" Johnson | 62 | 37 | -25
Harvey Pulford | NR | 60 | -21+
Lionel Conacher | 54 | 35 | -19
Sylvio Mantha | 70 | 56 | -14
Harry Cameron | 71 | 57 | -14
Art Coulter | 67 | 54 | -13
Ernest "Moose" Johnson | 53 | 41 | -12
Emile "Butch" Bouchard | 55 | 45 | -10

Interestingly, all eleven of these blueliners played most/all of their career before 1950. Perhaps I'm subconsciously biased againt the earliest era of hockey? I honestly didn't think I was, but the evidence is pretty compelling!

As I mentioned above, Boucher was a careless omission from my list, and I likely would have ranked him around 50, eliminating the largest difference.

Clapper is hard to assess - I suspect that my low ranking is probably explained by the fact that I completely ignored his career as a forward. I'm not sure if others gave him partial credit for his time as a forward. I still think that 24 seems really high if we only consider his accomplishments as a blueliner.

Still, that leaves nine significant differences. Standing back and looking at my list as a whole, I generally match the consensus view on Original Six and post-expansion defensemen. I seem to have a more favourable view than most of non-NHL Europeans, but a lower opinion than most on pre-WWII blueliners.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yes, Boucher was an oversight. I'm genuinely surprised to see that I didn't have him included on the list I submitted.

The biggest inconsistency on my list was ranking Reardon 17 spots above Stewart. They played during the same era and had very similar peaks, but Stewart has a clear edge in longevity. If I had to re-do my list, I'd probably have Stewart around 40 and Reardon around 50.

Jan Suchý | 36 | 49 | 13

Apparently I have a more favourable impression of non-NHL Europeans compared to the HOH consensus. Five of the then players that I ranked significantly higher than HOH were Russian and Czech defensemen.

I ranked the other five players too high initially. I've already discussed Reardon. I don't remember why, specifically, I ranked White and Patrick as high as I did. I focused too much on the numerous, glowing contemporary quotes about Flaman, without standing back and seeing how his legacy stacks up to others. I like Muprhy's consistency and longevity, but became less impressed with him as the voting started (see my voting results).

Interestingly, all eleven of these blueliners played most/all of their career before 1950. Perhaps I'm subconsciously biased againt the earliest era of hockey? I honestly didn't think I was, but the evidence is pretty compelling!

As I mentioned above, Boucher was a careless omission from my list, and I likely would have ranked him around 50, eliminating the largest difference.

Clapper is hard to assess - I suspect that my low ranking is probably explained by the fact that I completely ignored his career as a forward. I'm not sure if others gave him partial credit for his time as a forward. I still think that 24 seems really high if we only consider his accomplishments as a blueliner.

Still, that leaves nine significant differences. Standing back and looking at my list as a whole, I generally match the consensus view on Original Six and post-expansion defensemen. I seem to have a more favourable view than most of non-NHL Europeans, but a lower opinion than most on pre-WWII blueliners.

Excellent self-analysis.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

Jan Suchý | 36 | 49 | 13

I agree with Dennis Bonvie that it's an excellent self-analysis but I thin the word bias gets thrown around to often sometimes and it's always in respect to more recent and older players and vice versa and rarely in other terms like offensive versus defensive strengths.

I think that the major reasons people might have "perceived bias" or rather "tendencies towards one group over the others"is that everyone has different criteria in evaluating different players and one of the hardest ones to balance is the competitive level of one era to another.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Thanks for the comments.

For the record Hardyvan, I considered other factors, aside from era and nationality, when seeing if I had any "preferences". For example, I considered if I diverged from the consensus in terms of offense vs defense, peak vs longevity and regular season vs playoff performance. I didn't detect any major differences (though let me know if you disagree).

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Thanks for the comments.

For the record Hardyvan, I considered other factors, aside from era and nationality, when seeing if I had any "preferences". For example, I considered if I diverged from the consensus in terms of offense vs defense, peak vs longevity and regular season vs playoff performance. I didn't detect any major differences (though let me know if you disagree).

For the "bias" or "patterns" comment, it was not directed at you per say but rather your comment sparked something that I have noticed generally in some of the comparisons and comments.

In my original list I overvalued some guys and had some guys lower than I would now and found the whole process to be quite enlightening and fun.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I like Sologubov at #50, though I didn't have the guts to put him that high on mine. He was dismissed by many on here in the pre-vote thread as not being worthy due to where Soviet hockey was at the time. But if you compare him to later Soviet defencemen rather than Canadians of his era, it's totally justifiable.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00