HOH Book Feature (presented in association with the Society for International Hockey Research)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

It has taken a few years from the idea to the realization, but finally we're able to get this project off the ground:

In association with the Society for International Hockey Research (SIHR), HFBoards presents the History of Hockey book feature. The SIHR will offer their writing members the opportunity to introduce new publications of theirs directly to our board and answer questions by our community. Thus, we will always be up to date on interesting new books and we will also be able to interact with the authors right here in our forum. The long list of publications by SIHR authors include books by Todd Denault (@Canadiens Fan) and Ty Dilello (@nabby12) who already happen to be members of our forum. Stay tuned for the first edition of the HOH book feature.

Of course you're also invited to join the Society for International Hockey Research if you like.

About the SIHR:
The SIHR is a non-profit corporation which is overseen by an elected board of directors and its activities are entirely operated by members who volunteer their time. Through membership dues, donations and grants, the group hosts events, organizes special projects, produces a quarterly newsletter, an annual research journal and maintains their web site.

Objective of the SIHR:
The objective of the Society shall be to record and preserve the history of hockey by collecting, cataloguing, and preserving historical information and records, and by making them available to the public through presentations, articles, journals, books, exhibits, website and social media.

History of the SIHR:
The Society was founded in 1991 in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, by a group of seventeen men attending the Canadian Association of Sports Heritage meeting. Click here to read a brief history of SIHR. The Society is governed by a constitution, which was adopted in Montreal on May 22, 1993, and amended on May 28, 2016, in Kingston, Ontario.

List of books featured so far:

Last edited:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Looking forward to the products of this collaboration. Thanks to all parties for bringing it together. :thumbu:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
How many of us on HF Boards are also SIHR members? I finally took the plunge and joined a few months back.

goliver845

Oct 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

Greg Oliver here. I've done seven books on hockey now:
  • Gratoony the Loony: The Wild, Unpredictable Life of Gilles Gratton (with Gilles Gratton)
  • Father Bauer and the Great Experiment: The Genesis of Canadian Olympic Hockey
  • Blue Lines, Goal Lines & Bottom Lines: Hockey Contracts and Historical Documents from the Collection of Allan Stitt
  • Written in Blue and White: The Toronto Maple Leafs Contracts and Historical Documents from the Collection of Allan Stitt
  • The Goaltenders' Union: Hockey's Greatest Puckstoppers, Acrobats, and Flakes (with Richard Kamchen)
  • Don't Call Me Goon: Hockey's Greatest Enforcers, Gunslingers, and Bad Boys (with Richard Kamchen)
  • Duck with the Puck (a kid's book, with my son, Quinn Oliver)
I couldn't have done it without SIHR and the support and friendship of fellow members, and am glad SIHR is expanding its reach here at HFBoards.

Knowing how hard it is to get publicity these days, with shrinking newspapers and TV and radio stations with less and less resources, I started a column at the SIHR website where I talk to fellow authors about their projects. I titled the column "Two Minutes for Reading so Good" as an ode to the Grecian Formula commercial with Rocket Richard, but also because it seems like some days that's all the time I can carve out in a day to read!

When I get an interview that is of particular historical nature, I'll post it here.

My latest one is about a new book by Rhonda Leeman Taylor, written with her great-niece Denbeigh Whitmarsh, called OFFSIDE - A Memoir - Challenges Faced by Women in Hockey. She talks about her own time as a player before moving into the boardrooms, helping to build the women's game as we know it today.

Check it out here:
https://sihrhockey.org/__a/public/column.cfm?cid=4&aid=581

I'm happy to answer questions about my own books and projects too. OLIVER BOOKS -- Hockey, Professional Wrestling

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Nice. Very intrested about this. Never been member of SIHR.

goliver845

Oct 1, 2019
@goliver845 : My wife & I both enjoyed your Father Bauer book, and it remains on our book shelf at home. Thank you also for bringing my attention to Rhonda Leeman Taylor's new title; added to my future reading list. I look forward to your future posts.

Thanks for the kind words. I poured my heart and soul into the Father Bauer book, and I think it shows in the content, if not in the sales; easily the most disappointing sales-wise of all my books. He's an iconic and important figure in Canadian hockey history.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I poured my heart and soul into the Father Bauer book, and I think it shows in the content, if not in the sales; easily the most disappointing sales-wise of all my books. ...
I've made no profit from my writings, either ... but I keep on posting anyway. ;)

Reactions: wetcoast

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Hi everyone,

Greg Oliver here. I've done seven books on hockey now:
  • Gratoony the Loony: The Wild, Unpredictable Life of Gilles Gratton (with Gilles Gratton)
  • Father Bauer and the Great Experiment: The Genesis of Canadian Olympic Hockey
  • Blue Lines, Goal Lines & Bottom Lines: Hockey Contracts and Historical Documents from the Collection of Allan Stitt
  • Written in Blue and White: The Toronto Maple Leafs Contracts and Historical Documents from the Collection of Allan Stitt
  • The Goaltenders' Union: Hockey's Greatest Puckstoppers, Acrobats, and Flakes (with Richard Kamchen)
  • Don't Call Me Goon: Hockey's Greatest Enforcers, Gunslingers, and Bad Boys (with Richard Kamchen)
  • Duck with the Puck (a kid's book, with my son, Quinn Oliver)

Gratoony the Loony is a good book. Heard about on NHL Radio on Sirius. Was it on Kouleas' show? Don't Call Me Goon has been on my list for far too long. Will pick it up soon.

goliver845

Oct 1, 2019
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the book! Tell your friends! LOL

He is a remarkable person, so unconcerned with what other people think, and he definitely has no filter. I honestly am surprised that no one has bought the book yet to make a movie about.

Greg, I'm a huge fan of the Gratton book - man, he was really like that in person! It reminded me of some of the scenes in "The Office" or "Curb Your Enthusiasm" where I didn't want to keep reading because I was getting uncomfortable, but I had to because it was so compelling.

goliver845

Oct 1, 2019
In my Nov. 7th SIHR hockey book column, I talk with Bernie Carnegie about the updated version of her father's memoir, A Fly in a Pail of Milk: The Herb Carnegie Story, just out from ECW Press. If you're not familiar with his story, he was an a black Canadian denied the right to play in the NHL due to the colour of his skin.
https://sihrhockey.org/__a/public/column.cfm?cid=4&aid=587
How many hockey players have schools named after him? Herb Carnegie made a difference in this world.

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
In my Nov. 7th SIHR hockey book column, I talk with Bernie Carnegie about the updated version of her father's memoir, A Fly in a Pail of Milk: The Herb Carnegie Story, just out from ECW Press. If you're not familiar with his story, he was an a black Canadian denied the right to play in the NHL due to the colour of his skin.
https://sihrhockey.org/__a/public/column.cfm?cid=4&aid=587
How many hockey players have schools named after him? Herb Carnegie made a difference in this world.

Happy Birthday Herb! Almost made it to 100 too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00